Kraton Diff case cracked

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbbbbb66

I’m faster then you🥇
Premium Member
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton 8S
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Mojave
  5. Mojave EXB
  6. Outcast 4s
  7. Senton 3s
  8. Talion
  9. Typhon 3s
Hello,
I was wondering why this diff case cracked on the one side.

Pictures of the diff:
IMG_0350.JPG

IMG_0348.JPG
IMG_0352.JPG

This diff is the front diff in a kraton v5 and was filled with 10,000

Last edited:
Very weird 🤔 I've never seen this before. My guess is that it's a manufacture fault as it's in line with the grub screw. Too curious now. Spill its guts 😲

I'd guess ran it outa fluid,got hot,an came apart.ive melted diff cups.looks like the outdrives had some webble-wobbleing going on.the plastic cups break behind bearings.all most likely from heat.bet axles ,pins are all chewed up to..get a feeling of the resistance in your diffs.with truck off the ground spin 1 front tire slowly an feel the resistance as tire on other side spins.youll notice after time it getting easier to turn ,meaning your diffs are getting low on fluid .if not maintained this is what you'll get..if you notice tire ballooning alot more.diffs need matenence. Heres my speedrun car with damn near locked diffs..turning tires can tell you alot about diffs
If you look at the top pic,behind bearing theres fluid leaking,diff cup broke right there an lost fluid

Last edited:
I always run at least 1 million in all diffs.,don't give 2 $hits about the difference in the fluid weights.thinner fluid will come outa diffs so fast an cause constant issues. Takes forever for thick fluid to seep out.once they get hot outdrive start vibrating an then you need a 50$ diff 20ish dolla axles,an sometime the diff housing gets chewed up too.alot of wrenching cause thin fluid on a big tire bashers.big tire over 6 inches kill 10,000 diffs quik
Can't belive there's fluid in there .does the out drive on the shimed side have play in it behind bearing.
Pull sun gears ,see if little pin is broke under gear.they brake alot,small peice from that pin may have caused the cracked cup

Last edited:
Sun gear pin is fine. Should I get metal diff cases ?
I would with a k6.im wondering what caused the problem.all the gears look okay an not to worn.outdrives look bad.this must not be a
factory diff..I run an like the red arrma 3pc ones

Just buy another plastic stocker carrier case and rebuild it. It got melted. The picture is clear. I only use the Arrma metal diff. case at the center. This happens. Worn stock satellite shims will cause this also. use the Mugens instead . (E2006) If you run the proper weight oils and are filled correctly, better durability. Bleed completely of any air. You are not alone. Usually its the center that does this. For me.
So Metal at the center for me. My off road 6s rigs get 30-60F/500k center/20-30k Rr. Always thinner oil at the rear than the fronts. 2:1 ratio, F-R ,in general or close. This is for Standard type diffs. (yours) Not LSD diffs.

Last edited:
I'd probly spend a little more for the exb diffs.my big mojave with backflips kept going throu diffs.went exb an all good..diffs can be VERY frustrating. Took me along time for me to think I know what I'm doing..

My thought would be the bore for that screw was not drilled deep enough, or foreign material was in the bore when the screw was installed.. bulging the side of the case out..

But one thing I'm surprised nobody has mentioned is the shim.. it's wasted, it was never properly seated before the cover was installed.. can't say if that is the cause, but it surely isn't good...I'm amazed you got the diff cover on and seated at all, or was it..🤔
Personally I reckon it's just a manufacture defect. The wall is a bit thin where the screw goes. Also - I can't see a gasket! 🧐

Bingo.. makes sense to me.. if the gasket wasn't present the screw goes in to far.. that bore is shallow due to the grub screw location.. went in, bottomed out and bulged the case when tightened down..

My thought would be the bore for that screw was not drilled deep enough, or foreign material was in the bore when the screw was installed.. bulging the side of the case out..

But one thing I'm surprised nobody has mentioned is the shim.. it's wasted, it was never properly seated before the cover was installed.. can't say if that is the cause, but it surely isn't good...I'm amazed you got the diff cover on and seated at all, or was it..🤔

Bingo.. makes sense to me.. if the gasket wasn't present the screw goes in to far.. that bore is shallow due to the grub screw location.. went in, bottomed out and bulged the case when tightened down..
Dammit c-boy you win.that makes the most sense.been thinking hard on what cause it.something definitely pushing from the
inside..icup is junk,would love to now what in the bore. I love to dissect things see why they fail..

Dammit c-boy you win.that makes the most sense.been thinking hard on what cause it.something definitely pushing from the
inside..icup is junk,would love to now what in the bore. I love to dissect things see why they fail..

Yeah I think @Yas nailed it with the, no gasket.. if the gasket wasn't there, then that one screw would be to long..

The funny part is I noticed and mentioned the shim but was completely oblivious to the gasket missing...😂

I don't agree with most of the above....in this thread. It just a guessing game. And too many maybe's...:ROFLMAO:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back