Big Rock Diff case gear and input gear stripped. Why?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What yoke are you using? The composite yoke should not need to be cranked down, just snug. The shim we're talking about on a new stock diff is installed between the outer output bearing and the diff case,

Yes to the last question, in my case it was opposite the crown gear. Lately the pre-assembled Arrma diffs have been coming with the shim on the opposite side of the crown gear. Did you use a composite yoke or metal one?
Oh ok. I’m using the stock yoke. Well untill I get the HR yokes I will back the screw off a bit. Thank you!

Try these steps, in this order:
1) The differential comes with one shim (washer) underneath one of the differential bearings. From the factory it is underneath the bearing on the gear side of the differential. When you put the shim on the gear side, it makes the mesh tighter (it pushes the differential gear and input gear closer together). If you put it on the opposite side, it makes the mesh looser (it pushes the differential gear and input gear further apart). Try loosening the mesh if you're binding. I've never had to use more than the one shim.
2) Make sure the bearings on the sides of the differential are pushed all the way on. They are a tight fit. I usually have to hammer them a bit to get them all the way on. I use an adjustable wrench. Open it up enough to touch only the bearing. Then hammer on the wrench to push the bearing down.
3) The two sides of the yoke are not identical. One side has a small tab on the inside. Put this on the opposite from the differential gear. Otherwise, it will rub the back of the gear.
4) Dirt, debris, excessive grease can cause binding. Clean off the gears. Use a thin coat of grease.
5) The differential yoke can get warped. A warped differential yoke can cause binding. If none of the above work. Try a new differential yoke. (I've even had a differential case/gear get warped, but yours is new, so that's probably not the problem)

View attachment 213815
This is excellent content and really helpful. Thank you! Bookmarked for later. This is worth pinning in the 3S forum IMO.

Hey fam,

Just wondering what would cause the input gear and differential case gear to strip like this? I don’t jump. I mostly drive in grass fields going full speed and I don’t go full throttle right away. I ease into it. Anybody know why it happens. Or just wear and tear?

Thanks

View attachment 212733
Replaced input and diff case. Think I need to let it settle to get right mesh.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back