Typhon Diff Case Questions - 6s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Infraction
  3. Limitless
  4. Kraton 6s
  5. Mojave
  6. Outcast 8s
  7. Typhon 6s
Was swapping fluid in the center diff of my Typhon. When disassembling my diff case insert came off the diff case. Is there a way to reattach this or is the plastic dif case melted into the metal insert at the factory?

Also I’ve been warned not to spray out the diff case with engine cleaner - is there a reason why? Does it not play well with plastic?

Finally - any suggestions for removing a stripped set screw from the input shaft cup sleeve? How on earth are you supposed to heat up this set screw to destroy the factory red loctite when it’s surrounded by plastic! So annoying. Was going to swap all the bearings for fast eddys but these are the last two I can’t get to so it might just stay as is…

Thanks

Was swapping fluid in the center diff of my Typhon. When disassembling my diff case insert came off the diff case. Is there a way to reattach this or is the plastic dif case melted into the metal insert at the factory?

Also I’ve been warned not to spray out the diff case with engine cleaner - is there a reason why? Does it not play well with plastic?

Finally - any suggestions for removing a stripped set screw from the input shaft cup sleeve? How on earth are you supposed to heat up this set screw to destroy the factory red loctite when it’s surrounded by plastic! So annoying. Was going to swap all the bearings for fast eddys but these are the last two I can’t get to so it might just stay as is…

Thanks
The metal insert I’ve never had come off but my response would be a new cup. No reason not to.

As far as cleaning diffs, I use Naphtha in an ultrasonic cleaner. Sometimes have to run it a few cycles if the diff fluid was thick. 500k and above is hard to get off. You can shake them in a jar of Naphtha if you don’t have an ultrasonic cleaner.

And to get the input gear hot, you can just put a hot soldering iron directly on the grub for 5-10 mins. Let it do it’s work.

The metal insert I’ve never had come off but my response would be a new cup. No reason not to.

As far as cleaning diffs, I use Naphtha in an ultrasonic cleaner. Sometimes have to run it a few cycles if the diff fluid was thick. 500k and above is hard to get off. You can shake them in a jar of Naphtha if you don’t have an ultrasonic cleaner.

And to get the input gear hot, you can just put a hot soldering iron directly on the grub for 5-10 mins. Let it do it’s work.
Thanks. Any suggestion for getting a soldering tip to actually fit within that plastic sleeve?

Thanks. Any suggestion for getting a soldering tip to actually fit within that plastic sleeve?
Oh so you have the V5 with the plastic sleeve. I don’t think you’ll need heat. They shouldn’t have thread lock.

Oh so you have the V5 with the plastic sleeve. I don’t think you’ll need heat. They shouldn’t have thread lock.
That’s good news, so I somehow just stripped it which is still bad news LOL! I guess I will kick that can down the road until those bearings go haha. Thanks for the help!

That’s good news, so I somehow just stripped it which is still bad news LOL! I guess I will kick that can down the road until those bearings go haha. Thanks for the help!
There are holes on both sides. Make sure you’re not on the empty side

In case anyone runs into this, turns out they did use loctite. I was able to get the one at the front of the car out by heating my bit and then holding it on the screw. Couldn’t then get the sleeve off tho lol. Oh well those bearings seem fine for now!

In case anyone runs into this, turns out they did use loctite. I was able to get the one at the front of the car out by heating my bit and then holding it on the screw. Couldn’t then get the sleeve off tho lol. Oh well those bearings seem fine for now!
Hmm none of mine with the sleeve have had thread lock and all came out pretty easy 🤷🏻‍♂️

The Outdrives can be a pain to remove if the pin holding it in has warped the hole a little. You may get away with bashing the drive out as the sleeves recessed into the diff cup from the inside which will support it a little as it exits. If you try bash it back in without smoothing the shaft out she’ll probably pop out.

Back