Granite Diff Clicking Sound

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prisma

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Granite
Hey everyone,
I was playing around with my granite today, doing some jumps on grass and enjoying the weather. I decided to do a little backflip off a wall, which resulted in me smashing my rear chassis skid plate on the ground super hard. And now my rear diff is clicking, more precisely, it only does it when the input shaft is spinning, which makes me think it's a stripped or misaligned input gear. Also the clicking is only audible when driving around, it's super quiet when spinning the wheels by hand. Question is: I've never opened a differential before, what do I need to successfully check it and not cause further issues doing so? I don't have any differential grease, or other fluids on me btw.

Any advice greatly appreciated

Is it clicking once per revolution i.e in the same repeated pattern or just more noises?

Is it clicking once per revolution i.e in the same repeated pattern or just more noises?
Yeah, it's once per revolution, although it seems more like once per 3 or 4 revs if that makes sense

Makes sense. Take it apart. Look at some online videos. Not much that can go wrong. Look at the exploded view of your car if you need parts.
Actually is fun too fixing the car. Worst case: You sit half an hour longer to put it together again. And you might have to wait a few days until ordered parts arrive. Open the drive unit before you open the differential. Perhaps just a tooth missing on the spur gear.

Makes sense. Take it apart. Look at some online videos. Not much that can go wrong. Look at the exploded view of your car if you need parts.
Actually is fun too fixing the car. Worst case: You sit half an hour longer to put it together again. And you might have to wait a few days until ordered parts arrive.
Can I replace a component from the rear diff with the fully working front one's counterpart? I know it'll be 2WD but it will keep me going
And thanks so much for the advice!

Try tightening your slipper clutch half a turn so see if our sound persists before you tear it apart.

Try tightening your slipper clutch half a turn so see if our sound persists before you tear it apart.
Sure thing, although the sound is there even when the motor module is outside the vehicle

Oh sorry. I am not OP.

Yesterday was full though. Broken suspension arm, bent turnbuckle and stripped diff in the front, broken drive shaft in the back.

It was making the same noises under the same conditions OP was describing but I just drove it till it wouldn't move anymore.

Made for a satisfying afternoon of wrenching.

Back