Diff cup or more?

Jerold

Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
I was doing some speed runs and went from AWD to RWD. I was thinking it was a blown front diff because if I spin one wheel, the other one spins the same direction... which is not normal for an open diff. @LicketySplit and others said the grub screw from the on the diff cup may have let go and if there is nothing holding the pinion it's normal.

So I pulled it apart and found the grub screw intact, but the inside are now outside.
IMG_4998 (2).jpg

That is the pinion bearing (AR610019), outside the case. The input shaft/pinion (AR310468) does wiggle about, but if I stop it from moving the diff operates correctly.

1674440255038.png

Just to check the grub screw, which was very tight, i reseated it and it looks like about the same depth as before.
IMG_5002.jpg

I can probably clean it up and push the bearing back in, but I' wondering why it's all wonky and thinking I spun the bearing in the housing (AR310854). Which means at least the housing toast and I need to do some major surgery.

Also why are there no shims between the diff cup and the bearing? Like duh Batman.

Thoughts?

1674439912025.png

A bit more data. I poked around inside the bearing seat and found some bits of the bearing. It looks like the outer seal and a snap ring?
IMG_5003.jpg

Last edited:

LicketySplit

Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
  2. Outcast 6s
Looks like the input cup was too far forward. With the bulkhead off the chassis I like to hold the pinion forward with a flat head while I slide on the input cup. Push it against the bearing and tighten grub.

Jerold

Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
Put some 608/639 retaining compound on the OD of the bearing so it doesn’t float or run 8x12mm shims between the bearing and cup 👍🏼
That's a thought, but I'd rather spend the $50-75 for parts if that's what it takes. Although I'm not looking forwards to tearing it apart.

I guess what I'm looking for is to see if someone has seen this and is it the entire diff replacement or just a housing, bearing, etc?

Jerold

Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
Bulkhead -> AR310854
I will replace the bearings too.

Any chance of damage to the pinion/spur?
Looks like the input cup was too far forward. With the bulkhead off the chassis I like to hold the pinion forward with a flat head while I slide on the input cup. Push it against the bearing and tighten grub.
I'm assuming there should be no gap between the outer pinion bearing and the driver cup?
@K-BASH, Since I have to tear is down anyway, are these the F/R drive cups you were talking about for Limitless? AKA these are NOT spool drive cups.
https://www.amainhobbies.com/tekno-rc-steel-differential-coupler-tkr5075/p231747

Last edited:

real_name_hidden

Bash/Break/Fix/REPEAT 🤣
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
  2. Kraton 6s
Bulkhead -> AR310854
I will replace the bearings too.

Any chance of damage to the pinion/spur?

I'm assuming there should be no gap between the outer pinion bearing and the driver cup?
@K-BASH, Since I have to tear is down anyway, are these the F/R drive cups you were talking about for Limitless? AKA these are NOT spool drive cups.
https://www.amainhobbies.com/tekno-rc-steel-differential-coupler-tkr5075/p231747
Scorched. Don’t cheap out. End up doing it twice.