Kraton Diff Fluid Recommendation (weight and brand)?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackops

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Reaction score
So looking to pick up some diff fluid when I order my Kraton 1/8 EXB, but was trying to find out what weight I needed to buy.
Am I correct if I read the manual right it is 1,000,000 and 10,000 they suggest? But I thought I read and saw people mention using 500,000, 1M and 20M weight so I just wanted to make sure I had some correct stuff on hand,
Either way was wondering what weights people suggest and also if there is any recommendation on brand. Since I am not sure if there is some really good stuff or really bad stuff.

Any help would be great.

Thanks again

Right now with diff fluid being so hard to come by, brand doesn’t really matter as long as you get the weights you need!

You mentioned above… 500,000, 1M and 20M is for the 1/5 scale, would be way too thick for a 6s rig…

for the 6s exb I like... 20k front 200k center and 20k rear (open rear diff setup with optional shim kit) ARA311028

hope this helps 👍🏻✌🏻😎

Brand: any, they all come out of the same big pot ;)
Weight: Stock is definitely the lowest you ever want, for the 1/8 its 10/100/10 if I remember it right, but check your manual. Ultimately depends on what you like and is hard to recommend.
My general recommendation but only for bashing, higher in front compared to rear, center in the 2-500k range.
Why , coz that's how I like it. Nothing wrong with other combos. My current setup is 50/500/30 f/c/r

Will probably go 30/300/30 once I run out of 50k and 500k.

I redid my center to the stock weight of 100K. redid the front to 50K and once my new rear diff gear set comes in (just stripped the rear diff this weekend) I'm going to go with 30K. It's hard to find diff fluid online in stock so try your local hobby shop.

Right now with diff fluid being so hard to come by, brand doesn’t really matter as long as you get the weights you need!

You mentioned above… 500,000, 1M and 20M is for the 1/5 scale, would be way too thick for a 6s rig…

for the 6s exb I like... 20k front 200k center and 20k rear (open rear diff setup with optional shim kit) ARA311028

hope this helps 👍🏻✌🏻😎
Ahhh I did not know that about the size of the vehicles with it being more restrictive or less restrictive. But now that you said it totally makes a lot of sense. I will have to pay attention to the scale of the vehicle when I am looking at the stuff next time. I just was like EXB to EXB ok cool did not account for the scale at all.

The way I understand the exb diffs is under 3x setting it means whatever fluid you put in em.. multiply by 3 and then that’s what the diff reacts like… so if you put 20k in the front of an exb it acts like an RTR with 60k fluid..

Never heard that before about the ratio so that is good to know as I try different things out to see what works the best for me.

Thanks everyone I did not know there was a huge shortage of diff oil at all, but I guess why not. There is a shortage or everything else so this would be no different.

So someone told me about a silicone ear plug they used in the center diff along with diff oil. What is that and literally are they talking they put a silcone ear plug that you use for hearing protection in the center diff?

Also is the shim kit and stuff that everyone talks about still a problem or is that something in the past? Like is it something I need to break open and check before running it?

Ahhh I did not know that about the size of the vehicles with it being more restrictive or less restrictive. But now that you said it totally makes a lot of sense. I will have to pay attention to the scale of the vehicle when I am looking at the stuff next time. I just was like EXB to EXB ok cool did not account for the scale at all.

Never heard that before about the ratio so that is good to know as I try different things out to see what works the best for me.

Thanks everyone I did not know there was a huge shortage of diff oil at all, but I guess why not. There is a shortage or everything else so this would be no different.

So someone told me about a silicone ear plug they used in the center diff along with diff oil. What is that and literally are they talking they put a silcone ear plug that you use for hearing protection in the center diff?

Also is the shim kit and stuff that everyone talks about still a problem or is that something in the past? Like is it something I need to break open and check before running it?

Always good to check the diff shim from factory. Over time it may loosen up too, just check it and shim during regular diff maintenance.

Yes, the silicone earplugs is literally that. It's the same as putting like 20 million in the center I think. Essentially locks it, but allows a bit of movement for so there is less breakage vs a complete lock.

The silicone earplugs are more like 50 to 75 million i have half 20 million and 1 earplug in my center diff with a little 100,000 for lubrication purposes. Great for pulling wheelies at speed.

So looking to pick up some diff fluid when I order my Kraton 1/8 EXB, but was trying to find out what weight I needed to buy.
Am I correct if I read the manual right it is 1,000,000 and 10,000 they suggest? But I thought I read and saw people mention using 500,000, 1M and 20M weight so I just wanted to make sure I had some correct stuff on hand,
Either way was wondering what weights people suggest and also if there is any recommendation on brand. Since I am not sure if there is some really good stuff or really bad stuff.

Any help would be great.

Thanks again
Those weights you listed are common in the 1/5 scale 8S versions. The 1/8 scale 6S versions don’t need much more than 500k for the center as they have LSD plates that effectively double the fluids values.

Is it only the rear diff where you add the 2 shims on the crown side? Also what did they mean by crown side?

Also when you take out the diffs of the bulkheads, what is that grease that it is all coated in? I don't have anything to re-grease it so trying to find out what I need to get so I can put the diffs back in once I get them filled with diff fluid.

I use red n tacky to grease the OUTSIDE of the diff. Very important, grease ok outside and silicone oil on inside.

The crown side is the side with the gear I believe. Shimming is done based on your needs and should be done front and rear.

I use red n tacky to grease the OUTSIDE of the diff. Very important, grease ok outside and silicone oil on inside.

The crown side is the side with the gear I believe. Shimming is done based on your needs and should be done front and rear.

@Sargent_Horse thanks do appreciate it. I was not sure on what crown side meant so I had a 50/50 guess. But good to know, appreciate it.

Is this the Red N Tacky grease you use on the outside? I seen two different kinds so was just checking.

@Sargent_Horse thanks do appreciate it. I was not sure on what crown side meant so I had a 50/50 guess. But good to know, appreciate it.

Is this the Red N Tacky grease you use on the outside? I seen two different kinds so was just checking.

Yeah, but just about any grease will work. People use marine grease and green slime grease often, in addition to many other kinds. I use red n tacky cause it's cheap and was closest to me at Walmart haha

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back