Diff fluid & shock fluid question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is grease in nero diffs. Lube leaks out... they are sealed but with 2 orings and not very well all lube will leak out... I used marine grease in my front diff and left other 2 alone after all lube ran out grease was still there so I just left it. I need to get some trak power grease and see what is thicker or if I can find some thicker stuff for center and rear diff.... I like the lockers but would also like the blast mode to drive more the way I like heavy center and rear with a lighter front... waiting for some heavy duty knuckles and such next is shock shafts and new heavy duty rod ends.
Well that's lame.. I went and bought diff fluid. Definitely going to call Arrma today amd ser what's up. In the area of grease, I also got track power yesterday. Now how it compares to stock diff grease I have no idea.

There is grease in nero diffs. Lube leaks out... they are sealed but with 2 orings and not very well all lube will leak out... I used marine grease in my front diff and left other 2 alone after all lube ran out grease was still there so I just left it. I need to get some trak power grease and see what is thicker or if I can find some thicker stuff for center and rear diff.... I like the lockers but would also like the blast mode to drive more the way I like heavy center and rear with a lighter front... waiting for some heavy duty knuckles and such next is shock shafts and new heavy duty rod ends.
I forgot about this thread from another member regarding the diffs and arrma told him to use grease, specifically trak power grease. Here is the link.
https://arrmaforum.com/threads/nero-diff-service-email-from-arrma.1379/
I think I will call Arrma once again and figure this out finally. So I guess grease it is..

Oh man.. Called the number on Arrma's website, the one for service questions. Once again they said that the diffs are oil filled.. I just sent an email to Arrma directly to have they clairfy. She did point out that on tower hobbies website, it does indeed state that the diffs are metal oil filled locking.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFDXB**&P=ML#technotes
Once I get a response email from Arrma I will post up new information so we will hopefully have a final freaking answer. Sorry this is so confusing and such a pain for a simple question all.
Josh, let me know how the grease works in the diffs.

Guys - I got my Nero in August and have gone through about 30 packs of Lipos I estimate. The manual says to service after 20 packs. My LHS says to leave it be because the grease will stay and to bring it in when something goes wrong. I think they just want the business so I'm asking - when do I take these out and put in this grease?

Guys - I got my Nero in August and have gone through about 30 packs of Lipos I estimate. The manual says to service after 20 packs. My LHS says to leave it be because the grease will stay and to bring it in when something goes wrong. I think they just want the business so I'm asking - when do I take these out and put in this grease?
I'm drawing a blank atm, whats LHS..? Lol
And as far as servicing goes, I tend to stray towards the side of caution so I don't have to send things in. Then there's downtime and replacement costs. Lets see what someone else says but I personally would dig into it and perform maintenance. But I don't want to give you the wrong answer as I am still waiting on a resonse from Arrma regarding the diff maintenance.[/QUOTE]

I'm drawing a blank atm, whats LHS..? Lol
And as far as servicing goes, I tend to stray towards the side of caution so I don't have to send things in. Then there's downtime and replacement costs. Lets see what someone else says but I personally would dig into it and perform maintenance. But I don't want to give you the wrong answer as I am still waiting on a resonse from Arrma regarding the diff maintenance.
[/QUOTE]
LHS is Local Hobby Store

If you go by the manual for maintenance then your doing it right. Lhs I would and will never pay them half wits to work on my rig. I do all my work, it is not a hard thing to work on if kids in China can assemble them then then you should be able to fix it. I ask them questions now and then and have found that a little research and some youtube is the way to go. If you want to service it then check screws are diffs making noise? Arrma sends the nero with grease in them, best way to learn is buy a few nice hexes wrenches watch some youtube and read here about any problems you have.

Arrma sends the nero with grease in them, best way to learn is buy a few nice hexes wrenches watch some youtube and read here about any problems you have.
I agree, they arn't that hard to work on. And Josh, you are correct. I got a response from Arrma finally and they said the diffs are grease filled. They prefer to use trakpower grease. But thats not to say other grease can't be used that is a thicker grease. Sorry all for the confusion into the Nero diffs. I will email Arrma back and tell them that hobby services/ tower hobbies is saying it fluid filled.
What grease did you refill your diffs with Josh?

Well I had given lube a shot, but it leaked out.... so I used some marine grease in front and center and rear the grease was still there since I never cleaned them before filling up with lube so I left the center and rear alone. I would like to find a heavier grease for the center diff tho.

Well I had given lube a shot, but it leaked out.... so I used some marine grease in front and center and rear the grease was still there since I never cleaned them before filling up with lube so I left the center and rear alone. I would like to find a heavier grease for the center diff tho.
I was looking into wheel bearing greasr. It's heaver then trakpower grease. The problem with grease is finding the actual cSt of the grease.

Wheel bearing grease is exactly what I was thinking for center diff... I've been a bit pre occupied got married yesterday so I've not had the time I normally have to mess with my rigs, the wheel bearing grease is a good thing to try, I have no experience with trak power grease.

Wheel bearing grease is exactly what I was thinking for center diff... I've been a bit pre occupied got married yesterday so I've not had the time I normally have to mess with my rigs, the wheel bearing grease is a good thing to try, I have no experience with trak power grease.
I have some trakpower so I'll prob use that in the front/ rear for now and I'll get some bearing grease and try it soon.

Congrats on getting married also!

I'm going to try Lucas xtra heavy duty grease.. Meant for high speed and anti sling. Hope it works. Lol

Attachments

• 20161016_094504.jpg
    20161016_094504.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 63
So as previously mentioned, the diffs are indeed grease filled. I did the front and rear yesterday. There isn't much grease on them from the factory so I would recommend changing the grease after a few runs. Here are some pics.
I forgot to take pics with the new grease in the diffs but they rotate so much smoother.

Attachments

• 20161021_225744.jpg
    20161021_225744.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 88
  • 20161021_230132.jpg
    20161021_230132.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 86
  • 20161021_232201.jpg
    20161021_232201.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 92
So as previously mentioned, the diffs are indeed grease filled. I did the front and rear yesterday. There isn't much grease on them from the factory so I would recommend changing the grease after a few runs. Here are some pics.
I forgot to take pics with the new grease in the diffs but they rotate so much smoother.
I was on the road all week so I had my Nero & KRaton V2 serviced at my shop. they charged me 50 bucks - Nero got Trackpower grease & Kraton heavy diff oil - don't remember the number but George told me its their heavy stuff for jumps. He also suggested I look at some Tekno springs - TKR6083

I was on the road all week so I had my Nero & KRaton V2 serviced at my shop. they charged me 50 bucks - Nero got Trackpower grease & Kraton heavy diff oil - don't remember the number but George told me its their heavy stuff for jumps. He also suggested I look at some Tekno springs - TKR6083
I actually ended up using the trakpower grease on the outside of the diff between the case, and the other heavy duty grease inside the diffs. I haven't notices a huge difference while driving it, partly because I have the Castle Mamba Monster X system installed and it has a ton of power. That being said, initally after putting it back together the diffs definitely rotated smoother by hand then stock. I will try to do the center here soon and really pack it in there so as to create some reaistance like heavy weight oil would. But that trak power is pretty good stuff regardless.

Nice. Very nice. Tell me about this mamba X. How many Amps? I have a Max8 Combo on my other 1/8 scale. I'm assuming it's more power .... I started with this stuff back in Jan. Bought my 10 year old a volcano 1:10 and have bought 8 more.... just ordered a Senton BLX. I'm pretty happy with the Kratons power. Same goes for the Nero. But I hear the mamba is the ultimate....

Attachments

• IMG_0014.JPG
    IMG_0014.JPG
    302.6 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0015.JPG
    IMG_0015.JPG
    294.4 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_3276.JPG
    IMG_3276.JPG
    162.2 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_3239.JPG
    IMG_3239.JPG
    230.7 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_3203.JPG
    IMG_3203.JPG
    173.2 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_3255.JPG
    IMG_3255.JPG
    209.9 KB · Views: 64
Sweet man! Once I send in my Arrma drivetrain and servo I'm looking at getting a Talion rolling chassis since I will have most of the parts.
Liking the setup also.. What rims/ tires on on the Nero?
The power of the Monster X is amazing... No other word for it. It will wheelie at any speed.. No kidding. Even with the Tbone wheelie bar it will flip on it's lid constantly. Haha. It's so epic! Don't know the amps though, just that it's bad ass system. That and the Savox 1231SG servo is sweet.

I have been plagued with small repairs and issues, so I finally have it all ready and hope to have some videos up soon of it and my friends Kraton. It seems really deceptive how fast it really is because it's hard to put the power down. But the Monster X esc is awesome. It is soo smooth for a sensorless system. My buddy, ConanDan, who's on here also, noticed it just watching it.

Sweet man! Once I send in my Arrma drivetrain and servo I'm looking at getting a Talion rolling chassis since I will have most of the parts.
Liking the setup also.. What rims/ tires on on the Nero?
The power of the Monster X is amazing... No other word for it. It will wheelie at any speed.. No kidding. Even with the Tbone wheelie bar it will flip on it's lid constantly. Haha. It's so epic! Don't know the amps though, just that it's bad ass system. That and the Savox 1231SG servo is sweet.

I have been plagued with small repairs and issues, so I finally have it all ready and hope to have some videos up soon of it and my friends Kraton. It seems really deceptive how fast it really is because it's hard to put the power down. But the Monster X esc is awesome. It is soo smooth for a sensorless system. My buddy, ConanDan, who's on here also, noticed it just watching it.
Those are a new set of BIGROCK dBoot Ronkawas. I have a new set of sand scorpions / shredded up the original set. I was thinking maybe in my other 1/8 scale . My buddy has Mamba in his Losi XXL2 he's got 1/5 scale shocks and wheels and tires.

How are those Bigrock tires? I have 40 series trenchers atm and they balloon like crazy with all the power. They do have some great grip though. Thought about looking into the new proline mx38 badlands. I think thats they name, they are they fullsize badland tires.

They are a LOT like the badlands - tall and slim... Either will work Im sure - Ive been through soooo many prolines ripping Im scared to get more....Shockwaves, trencherXs, BigJoe2s, SuperSSwampers - bought 6 of them - last two unassembled and taped and all - still ripped.....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back