Diff fluid & shock fluid question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julian

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Nero
getting my diffs refilled and I need the thickest shock fluid for jumps.

Can someone please tell me what's the best for rear front and middle diff fluid for Nero and Kraton.

I jump both trucks and need the thickest shock fluid.

IMG_2493.JPG

Well to start you cannot use regular diff lube in the Nero it will all leak out... you need grease, I used some marine grease in mine, trak power also makes diff grease. In my kraton I run 100k center and rear and 50k in front I jump and bash hard... as far as shock oil in kraton I have 60wt rear and 70wt front with tekno 90mm orange Springs on all 4 corners. The Nero I used 10k diff lube and 40wt oil... I pushed shock all the way up filled with 10k lube then pulled them down and filled to 3/4 full with 40wt, then worked pistons up and down to mix oils and get air out, let them sit till all air bubbles out then topped off with 10k lube and run preload about 3/4 way down front and rear, seems to be working but I keep breaking other stuff, axel pin then cv shaft... parts should be waiting when I get home...

My man Josh. Wow - I started jumping recently. YouTube- jumping the Nero and Nero Lincoln park. I bought two BMX jump ramps and I'm getting ready to go now. Well I ended up in the hobby shop with stripped spur gear and pinion. They said when metal on metal gears land - the energy will do damage on most uneven landings. They said jump away but try not to sky to high. I also bent a rear shock tower on the Kraton and ended up damaging the base. So I decided to fix it myself - took the whole rear apart and new base and shock tower put in. Runs fine - very happy with myself - - was hard but after a few mistakes - all good. Got Nero back from hobby shop with new spur and pinion. Jumped the Nero yesterday and landed upside down and broke a shock post - it's stuck in the rear bulkhead like what happened to u. It's metal - how did you get it out? I remember you saying it was a female dog to get out... I ordered a new rear bulkhead yesterday anyway. I also ordered the new big rock wheels and tires for the Nero. Got Nero stock scorpions on the Kraton. Installed new tie straps for Kraton v2 and removed those annoying blockers in the battery tray. Now can hold those big ole SPC 70Cs - just got a new set from them. Best Lipos I've ever had.

Attachments

• IMG_3263.JPG
    IMG_3263.JPG
    165.2 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_3276.JPG
    IMG_3276.JPG
    162.2 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_3256.JPG
    IMG_3256.JPG
    199.6 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_3285.JPG
    IMG_3285.JPG
    176.1 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_3287.JPG
    IMG_3287.JPG
    233.2 KB · Views: 123
Well clean that crud outa around the hole around the rocker post and see if you can get a socket on it and get it out, I had to fight with mine a bit but it came right out... in my thread there was a guy that found a good fix for busted rocker posts and I think he also started his own the read on it... of you are running diffs in locked position I can see bad landings stripping gears but there is no need to be locred while jumping try only jumping in blast or all diffs unlocked the slipper should do its job then and prevent broken or missing teeth... I just put a steel Spur on my xmaxx, halix and slash 4x4... the halix is holding up great slash has barley been ran and Maxx hasn't made it off my bench in weeks... supposed to be getting some new diff cups and gears to try out so I'm waiting to get them... should ship out tomorrow but that's what he said last week too.... lol my Nero I broke a front drive axel ordered the heavy-duty ones for everything

NICE - hey is there any difference between the BigRock HD joints and the Neros? I know the Big Rocks are thicker stock so Im assuming the HD version will be the biggest & strongest. They are so expensive - I am waiting till one breaks. Hobby shop guy said to just get a new rear bulkhead - Im not that mechanical to be honest but I want to somehow draw a line in the metal and then screw out with a screwdriver. When u say socket - ur talking a socket wrench right?

I think the bigrock comes with all the HD parts already on it including new shock shafts, rod endStewart and spring retaniers.

Yup makes sense. I clikd on the optional parts for it and saw the HD joints so I'm thinking they are thicker than stock. I haven't broken much and check the driveshafts and wheels etc before each run. Nero rear bulkhead comes wed Had no luck making A line in the stuck rod end.

Yup makes sense. I clikd on the optional parts for it and saw the HD joints so I'm thinking they are thicker than stock. I haven't broken much and check the driveshafts and wheels etc before each run. Nero rear bulkhead comes wed Had no luck making A line in the stuck rod end.
Use a dremal with metal blade and slice a hole in it or go get a ezout set it will come in handy... both things are important tools to have to help be much less reliant on lhs service because its expensive and nothing on these trucks is not easy to learn to fix. I will never let lhs do my work, its part of the therapy of it all... break it fix it beat it break it fix it break it fix it learn control.... lol

Yes - yes. Getting ez out tomorrow after work. Will be back in business ... I can feel it. Going to chill with the jumps though. I hate the hobby shop and since getting these two beasts - they haven't seen much of me.

Yes - yes. Getting ez out tomorrow after work. Will be back in business ... I can feel it. Going to chill with the jumps though. I hate the hobby shop and since getting these two beasts - they haven't seen much of me.
One of my good friends was over tonight and was checking the new setup out and was amazed at how well built my arrma cars are compared to his erevo... lol his erevo breaks all the time, I almost bought another kraton for him just because I'm sick of fixing his erevo every 5 runs and my kraton blows that erevo outa the lawn in every way.

One of my good friends was over tonight and was checking the new setup out and was amazed at how well built my arrma cars are compared to his erevo... lol his erevo breaks all the time, I almost bought another kraton for him just because I'm sick of fixing his erevo every 5 runs and my kraton blows that erevo outa the lawn in every way.
That says a lot as I've seen a number of e-revo's take a beating and keep going. So knowing the Nero is doing that and more is awesome!

That says a lot as I've seen a number of e-revo's take a beating and keep going. So knowing the Nero is doing that and more is awesome!
Yes Josh. I took the Kraton out yesterday and decided to leave my jump ramps home. It's tons of fun but while the Nero is on the shelf - chill out and just play in the park. I'm sure you all know traxxas is suing Arrma/team Durango in federal court for copyright infringement for the Nero lay down shocks right?

Attachments

• IMG_3287.JPG
    IMG_3287.JPG
    233.2 KB · Views: 80
Yes Josh. I took the Kraton out yesterday and decided to leave my jump ramps home. It's tons of fun but while the Nero is on the shelf - chill out and just play in the park. I'm sure you all know traxxas is suing Arrma/team Durango in federal court for copyright infringement for the Nero lay down shocks right?

What a bunch of crap is Traxxas on lately with all of the sueing of companies...
I also read something about Traxxas sueing Arrma because of the servo saver in the Nero?

The E-Revo's I have seen never lasted a full 4s pack without breaking axle :p
And on 6s they just destroyed the diffs within minutes

Lay-down shocks aren't Traxxas only, Tamiya also uses them in some 1:10 onroads, they are even used in the 1:1 world...
They better put that money used for sueing in developing a new model that doesn't need a ton of upgrades right out of the box instead of releasing old chassis' with new bodies as overpriced new models.

What a bunch of crap is Traxxas on lately with all of the sueing of companies...
I also read something about Traxxas sueing Arrma because of the servo saver in the Nero?

The E-Revo's I have seen never lasted a full 4s pack without breaking axle :p
And on 6s they just destroyed the diffs within minutes

Lay-down shocks aren't Traxxas only, Tamiya also uses them in some 1:10 onroads, they are even used in the 1:1 world...
They better put that money used for sueing in developing a new model that doesn't need a ton of upgrades right out of the box instead of releasing old chassis' with new bodies as overpriced new models.
I remember researching the revo in June and noticed two things that jumped out at me. One was the fact that it uses 1/10 th scale diffs for 6S. Two was a picture of s dude with a pile of broken plastic driveshafts after a month of driving it. Traxxas seems to have a business plan based on the biggest reputation and the cheapest manufacturing strategy possible. All of my traxxas trucks have broken and the very fact that they only use traxxas overpriced batteries seals the deal for me. I went with Arrma and could not be happier. I am buying the 6S senton next.

I remember researching the revo in June and noticed two things that jumped out at me. One was the fact that it uses 1/10 th scale diffs for 6S. Two was a picture of s dude with a pile of broken plastic driveshafts after a month of driving it. Traxxas seems to have a business plan based on the biggest reputation and the cheapest manufacturing strategy possible. All of my traxxas trucks have broken and the very fact that they only use traxxas overpriced batteries seals the deal for me. I went with Arrma and could not be happier. I am buying the 6S senton next.
You can use any battery in them you just need the traxxas plug, the new IDelhi batteries are junk they replaces 7 for me that were about 4 months old and I sold every one of them. I have a couple 2s 5800mah left that I run in the halix and slash now and again... I do not like the traxxas brand as whole now that I see they are like Nike and such just paying for a name and a truck built to need many expensive upgrade parts to be capable of running on 6s or even 4s.

I bought a slash for my ten year old. A 4x2 with the Audio. He loved it and I must say it ran great .... for about three weeks and then the ESC started stuttering and the servo would only turn one way. I had a castle sidewinder combo put in and HUGE improvement - then the transmitter stopped working beyond 30 ft. Then the servo blew. Then i bought Oliver an HPI sprint 2 flux. He did start asking about the slash - so I looked at that Losi MT-Ten for 399$ and for another 100$ - There is my Neros lil brother.... so I got him the Kraton V2 (4s when he's driving). I threw in a 444/oz HiTec servo and front bumper and wheeliebar just like my Nero.

Attachments

• IMG_3272.JPG
    IMG_3272.JPG
    173.7 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_3276.JPG
    IMG_3276.JPG
    162.2 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_3264.JPG
    IMG_3264.JPG
    164.9 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_3206.JPG
    IMG_3206.JPG
    185.7 KB · Views: 83
So I spoke with Arrma today regarding the diff fluids as I am looking to change mine because of the power of the mamba monster x system. Arrma says that the Nero uses 7000/10000/7000 (front/center/rear). They said these are in cSt figures. This seems kind of light, but I have never messed around with diff fluids so maybe I am off base here.
On another note, those who upgrade esc, the micro servos are not recommended for 7.2 volts, according to Arrma, so watch those bec levels. Hope this helps!

The Nero uses diff fluid? The diff housing has holes in it for the diff lock, and the casing is not sealed. I've had mine apart several times and I've never encountered diff oil. Grease, sure. Not oil. I figured the Nero opted for wide-open diffs or locked diffs, and forego the 'reduced slip' that thick diff oil offers.

The Nero uses diff fluid? The diff housing has holes in it for the diff lock, and the casing is not sealed. I've had mine apart several times and I've never encountered diff oil. Grease, sure. Not oil. I figured the Nero opted for wide-open diffs or locked diffs, and forego the 'reduced slip' that thick diff oil offers.
According to Arrma it does. I even said the diff brain version and the lady told me 7/10/7. I haven't had a chance to to open up mine, but will do so within the week when I get my drive shafts/ servo in. I can always call Arrma again tomorrow and verify. I will post back up when I find out for sure.

There is grease in nero diffs. Lube leaks out... they are sealed but with 2 orings and not very well all lube will leak out... I used marine grease in my front diff and left other 2 alone after all lube ran out grease was still there so I just left it. I need to get some trak power grease and see what is thicker or if I can find some thicker stuff for center and rear diff.... I like the lockers but would also like the blast mode to drive more the way I like heavy center and rear with a lighter front... waiting for some heavy duty knuckles and such next is shock shafts and new heavy duty rod ends.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back