Kraton Diff fluid ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerwolf

Reaction score
Hey guys got another question. Cracked my diffs open and they’re wet but hardly. Went to hobby shop for new fluid and all I could get close to stock was 15k and 125k Was thinking 15 front and back and 125 center. This should be okay right? It’s all I got. Just general bashing.

2E3D86A2-E899-47C3-B2EA-428220DE483E.jpeg

125 on a kraton is going to be pretty light in the center. I run 100/500/100 in mine and it's about perfect for grass bashing. I run 100/300/100 in my outcast. Lighter in the center makes it a little less wheelie happy.

I'd put the 125 you have in all 3 to get you by, then try to find some 500K for the center.

125 on a kraton is going to be pretty light in the center. I run 100/500/100 in mine and it's about perfect for grass bashing. I run 100/300/100 in my outcast. Lighter in the center makes it a little less wheelie happy.

I'd put the 125 you have in all 3 to get you by, then try to find some 500K for the center.
Light? Stock is 100k /. How would oil that thick in front and rear affect the the truck? I would think turning radius would be huge /
That would work. If you want to run a little thicker front, just put a few drops of 125K in along with the 15K.
Good enough for me. I’ll give it a go and report back

Last edited:
Any oil is better than none lol

I’m running 60/200/20 in the notorious. It’s all I could find at the time two years ago. It works but I would like to get some thicker oil.

That would work. If you want to run a little thicker front, just put a few drops of 125K in along with the 15K.
Smart idea actually. (y)
Yeah a tad thicker in the front for sure.
All the oils are too light however. I would have just ordered the correct ones Online. The LHS had a poor selection there. Is what it is.

@Beerwolf, next time run 60k front/ 500k center/ 30k rear. Order them now, so you have them on hand.
6s off road rigs run best with the weights I recommended. Better performance and way less tire and drivetrain wear overall for bashing.
Any oil is better than none lol

I’m running 60/200/20 in the notorious. It’s all I could find at the time two years ago. It works but I would like to get some thicker oil.
I run my Noto with 500k at center. It is an uncontrollable wheelie monster due to its short wheel base.. Thicker center diff oil of 500k will have less power bleeding from the rear when the nose lifts. Tires and drivetrain will thank you.
Diff Bleed is a thing.

Last edited:
How would oil that thick in front and rear affect the the truck?

Much less off-power steering. Your turning radius will greatly increase as you suspect, but it will be easier to drift around turns.

If you want less maintenance and less power unloading under full throttle but don't care about handling, thick diff oil is for you. If your goal is to make controlled turns while maintaining traction, don't use oil that thick front and rear. 15k is close to ideal for the rear, a bit light for the front. I like to use about double the weight in the front (10-15k rear, 20-30k front) to give the car some front wheel bias (improves steering into corners and traction exiting corners).

125k centre is about right for even front/rear power distribution, which is usually the goal when tuning the centre diff. Thicker would further reduce off-power steering and make the truck more wheelie prone.

In short, your oil choices will be fine and you won't notice much difference from stock.

In the end it is what YOU prefer. After trying all the weights and combinations.
But many in the beginning just need to experiment.
I just find that for bashing hard especially 6s+, thicker is best and safest way to run.
My TLRT Typhon, although I don't race it, I prefer close to stock. And it is very thin all around. A tad thicker is what I went. I believe it was only 5k more weight at the front. I drive this rig in a technical fashion on 4s . I don't bash it, jump it, send it etc. I run a Baseball diamond/infield course around with some cones.
Thin oils works for me only with the TLRT Typhon.

Much less off-power steering. Your turning radius will greatly increase as you suspect, but it will be easier to drift around turns.

If you want less maintenance and less power unloading under full throttle but don't care about handling, thick diff oil is for you. If your goal is to make controlled turns while maintaining traction, don't use oil that thick front and rear. 15k is close to ideal for the rear, a bit light for the front. I like to use about double the weight in the front (10-15k rear, 20-30k front) to give the car some front wheel bias (improves steering into corners and traction exiting corners).

125k centre is about right for even front/rear power distribution, which is usually the goal when tuning the centre diff. Thicker would further reduce off-power steering and make the truck more wheelie prone.

In short, your oil choices will be fine and you won't notice much difference from stock.
Thanks and noted. I’ll get some different oils and experiment down the line. I was really liking the way it handled ripping around stock. More of an imaginary course driver. I try to better and better my corners and laps.

The recommended above 60\500\30k will greatly help with that....
I think I will heed the advice and grab a bottle of 500k today and half and half it with the 125 for the center, for now. I haven't did the center yet but I did 15k in the rear and added a blob drop of 125 to the front with the 15k and feels great.

I think I will heed the advice and grab a bottle of 500k today and half and half it with the 125 for the center, for now. I haven't did the center yet but I did 15k in the rear and added a blob drop of 125 to the front with the 15k and feels great.
I feel you will like it's very close to what Rich Duperdash uses 50/500/20k so go with the 60\500\30k. It helps to control the power flow from the center diff so the F/R spin at different rates you can get better control coming out of those corners and powering out of them.

Then a guy like me I add that with AVC my Kraton and I are happy all day in addition to the above the AVC lines me up so I can keep that straight line and dust my buddy ERevo....again that's me!

Enjoy!

Okay I think I have lost my mind gah / I've got it all back to together and the rear spins one way and the front spin the other lol .. I'm certain I put them back in the way I took them out I even resorted to the manual to make sure. The ring gear should be on the left side of both front and back correct?

edit: okay they're on correct. Threw some wheels on the back and gave it a roll, all systems go. Spinning slowly by hand seemed to move the other end in the opposite direction last night /

Last edited:
I would to make sure they weren’t accidentally put in upside down. It happens lol
haha right. Evrything is good. Got it back together last night and gave the hubs a turn by hand and they seemed to want to turn in opposite directions, I gave up frustrated. A little sleep goes a long way D

Nothing wrong with sleeping it off. I’ve been in this hobby for about 10 years and have taken months long breaks before 😂

haha right. Evrything is good. Got it back together last night and gave the hubs a turn by hand and they seemed to want to turn in opposite directions, I gave up frustrated. A little sleep goes a long way D
I've found a cell phone is very handy just to snap a few quick pics once the diff case once it is off to see how it all was staged before I remove it so I can put it back the same (or whatever I am working on). Few pics here and there have helped me a lot along the way :)

I've found a cell phone is very handy just to snap a few quick pics once the diff case once it is off to see how it all was staged before I remove it so I can put it back the same (or whatever I am working on). Few pics here and there have helped me a lot along the way :)
Yip. I just took it out front for a 3 minute rip with the new oils and it's like a new truck. That thicker center oil is night and day, she responds beautifully D

Yip. I just took it out front for a 3 minute rip with the new oils and it's like a new truck. That thicker center oil is night and day, she responds beautifully D
Excellent update!!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back