Diff gaskets. Do you replace every time?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MD8zero1

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
I just bought a used Senton 6s and was thinking if I should order the gaskets before I attempt to change the fluid. Figured I’d change the oil to my likings or what I’ve read here.

Diffs aren’t leaking but wondering if I should hold off.

How often do you change the gaskets?

Lately I use new gaskets every time because I have a huge pack from those guys in Canada.
On the contrary, the ones I'm replacing don't always look bad and I just do it because I have backups.
If I didn't have any on hand I'd reuse the original ones as long as they don't look mangled or torn. I've also wondered if liquid gasket would work but won't buy any just for the sake of doing it differently.

Lately I use new gaskets every time because I have a huge pack from those guys in Canada.
On the contrary, the ones I'm replacing don't always look bad and I just do it because I have backups.
If I didn't have any on hand I'd reuse the original ones as long as they don't look mangled or torn. I've also wondered if liquid gasket would work but won't buy any just for the sake of doing it differently.
I’d stay with regular gaskets

I just did my 6S diffs for the first time. I replaced all the orings and planetary shims. The orings were mostly split or deformed. The planetary shims were deformed too. But the gaskets were in pretty good shape. I could barely tell which side was the cup side and the gear side. I kept them in the same orientation when I assembled them. Time will tell if that was a good idea or not. I think I should buy a pack of them to have for the next time just to be sure. This last time I had ordered shims in advance knowing I would need them, but the orings caught me off guard. Cost me a week of time.

Order some, Murphys law dictates that you will damage one if you try and do not have spares.?‍♂️
Otherwise, no need to replace if they still look ok.
Very true. I did order a few and am holding off.

It’s one of those “You know better. Just have some just in case”.
I just needed some patience for it to arrive.

thanks!

I just did my 6S diffs for the first time. I replaced all the orings and planetary shims. The orings were mostly split or deformed. The planetary shims were deformed too. But the gaskets were in pretty good shape. I could barely tell which side was the cup side and the gear side. I kept them in the same orientation when I assembled them. Time will tell if that was a good idea or not. I think I should buy a pack of them to have for the next time just to be sure. This last time I had ordered shims in advance knowing I would need them, but the orings caught me off guard. Cost me a week of time.
He's doesn't bash his Typhon. Keep that in mind. He runs it up and down a street.

These diffs take massive beatings and they generate lots of heat and cool off so thermal shock takes a toll on the gasket. This being said, I replace gasket/orings every time I open up my diffs. For what they cost, it’s cheap insurance.

Last edited:
I was organizing stuff today and found three packs of Arrma stock gaskets.

I shine a light on them if I see any imperfections replace.

I only replace if there’s any damage but it’s nice to have a bunch of spares.

cheers,
kev

I just bought a used Senton 6s and was thinking if I should order the gaskets before I attempt to change the fluid. Figured I’d change the oil to my likings or what I’ve read here.

Diffs aren’t leaking but wondering if I should hold off.

How often do you change the gaskets?
only if one is damaged

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back