Diff grease for outer gears & diff fluid?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko R1

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
  2. Kraton EXB
  3. Notorious
I am running GPM diffs front and rear and thought I’d do a quick inspection - on the outer gears there is some grease…I then inspected my centre diff and noticed that there was no grease on the outer gears.

Should the centre diff run dry with no grease on the outer gears? Without the grease, I can free spin the centre diff for a few seconds so not sure what is right and what is wrong.

Also, I’m running 200/20M/150 diff fluid - is this a good setup as this is how I got the car? It drives well!

I am running GPM diffs front and rear and thought I’d do a quick inspection - on the outer gears there is some grease…I then inspected my centre diff and noticed that there was no grease on the outer gears.

Should the centre diff run dry with no grease on the outer gears? Without the grease, I can free spin the centre diff for a few seconds so not sure what is right and what is wrong.

Also, I’m running 200/20M/150 diff fluid - is this a good setup as this is how I got the car? It drives well!

NO grease on the center. It is supposed to be dry on the outter gear.

A common 8s setup is 500k rear 20m center and 1M up front. I like it. But if yours drives well maybe you like that setup?

It’s at least worth a try to mess with your fluids to find what suits you. Fluid is inexpensive when you can find it.

NO grease on the center. It is supposed to be dry on the outter gear.

A common 8s setup is 500k rear 20m center and 1M up front. I like it. But if yours drives well maybe you like that setup?

It’s at least worth a try to mess with your fluids to find what suits you. Fluid is inexpensive when you can find it.
Thanks for the feedback - my other 8s which I bought second hand has grease on the outer gears in the centre diff & makes a mess on the chassis when I run it - now I know why :)

If I go from 200Krear/20Mcentre/150Kfront to what you suggest (i.e. 500Krear/20Mcentre/1Mfront), how would I expect the car to drive? ie more traction & less wheelies?

I’ve taken your advice :)

0FC5623C-B2E4-4F7F-A584-DAE329B58021.jpeg

Next question, how many grams of oil do I place in the front & rear diffs?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back