Outcast Diff housing leaking

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cumminz

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Cleaning my oc8 after taking her out for the first time and it appears the housing is leaking? Is this normal? Also, how much fluid should be in my rear diff itself?
15979788388562989950546671630867.jpg
20200820_205418.jpg
20200820_205421.jpg

That's just all the grease they put on the ring and pinion oozing through.. Less the better because one throttle stab and it all spins off inside your diff housing anyway. Most of the diffs do not have enough fluid and most went with 1M-20M-1M

The goop inside the housing is grease, and is normal to have on the ring gear inside the housing. So that isn’t your diff leaking, not to say that it isn’t but that goop is grease.

Also, that diff for sure looks low. It needs some more fluid.

I also noticed wetness on the end of the diffs on both of my Out/Kraton 8s. I'm not sure if it's residue or not. I checked one of the seals and the gasket on the front diff of the O8S and they looked fine ?. I see wetness so I'm not sure. I took pics, but it definitely needed more fluid. I went ahead and added 200k to the front and I'll probably keep rear stock. Not sure yet. Opinions? I did order the seals and gaskets for all front/rear diffs on both vehicles. But I'm going to put them back together with the same seals/gaskets for now. I just don't see anything wrong with them (at least the first diff I took apart)
20200827_142036.jpg
20200827_141948.jpg
20200827_141942.jpg
20200827_123732.jpg
20200827_123719.jpg
20200827_123704.jpg
20200827_122920.jpg
20200827_123409.jpg

20200827_122714.jpg

Normal..

200k is too thin IMO. 1M-20M-1M
I'm already breaking the weak driveshafts on these things. I don't think that going higher in fluids for your diffs is going to help there. ?. That would strain the driveshafts more no? More shock?

I'm already breaking the weak driveshafts on these things. I don't think that going higher in fluids for your diffs is going to help there. ?. That would strain the driveshafts more no? More shock?
No idea how your doing that.. I tried to with putting what some call 15hp through the drive line running 12s and haven’t broken any shafts or gears.
I’m on the castle 2028 with mmx8S

I’ve gone through 2 rear CVD’s...

they don’t bend or twist, in my case the diff side pin Falls out ??‍♂️

I’m on the castle 2028 with mmx8S

I’ve gone through 2 rear CVD’s...

they don’t bend or twist, in my case the diff side pin Falls out ??‍♂️

Maybe the “V-2” has China kung flu shafts?.. Don’t know what to say. Mine take a beating with a HW 800kv and the 2028 800kv mill’s on a 12s Beast pro and keep on trucking.

No idea how your doing that.. I tried to with putting what some call 15hp through the drive line running 12s and haven’t broken any shafts or gears.
I've broken the pin off actually, not the shaft itself. The shaft itself bends like crazy though in the rear.

I've broken the pin off actually, not the shaft itself. The shaft itself bends like crazy though in the rear.

You know what they say about a chain, its only as strong as its weakest link. You got 30lbs of truck essentially riding on a couple pins. I can see the pins breaking and shafts bending up from torque, they almost need to come out with a thick spline gear shaft like Kaiju has. BUT, Just like with anything else RC, when you beef up one part others become susceptible. I haven't had these issues yet. You most likely have 4x the amount of packs ran through yours than I do too. I haven't driven mine much since the end of April and before that wasn't very much, my last time out I lost a pivot ball retainer..

I find the CVD's will bend under the same circumstances that the 6S dogbones/CVD's will bend: a bad one wheel landing that flexes (or breaks) the suspension arm greatly. I'm not sure what you can do about that other than try not to land on one wheel.

I find the CVD's will bend under the same circumstances that the 6S dogbones/CVD's will bend: a bad one wheel landing that flexes (or breaks) the suspension arm greatly. I'm not sure what you can do about that other than try not to land on one wheel.
Yeah I think you are right. I tumbled them pretty bad too.
You know what they say about a chain, its only as strong as its weakest link. You got 30lbs of truck essentially riding on a couple pins. I can see the pins breaking and shafts bending up from torque, they almost need to come out with a thick spline gear shaft like Kaiju has. BUT, Just like with anything else RC, when you beef up one part others become susceptible. I haven't had these issues yet. You most likely have 4x the amount of packs ran through yours than I do too. I haven't driven mine much since the end of April and before that wasn't very much, my last time out I lost a pivot ball retainer..
THB I haven't ran either of my trucks too many times. The pin broke on the second run on the O8S messing around in the concrete jungle. But like I mentioned before, the pin was off centered on the shaft. So yeah, maybe weak was not the right word to use in that case.

Well here's another reason to check your front and rear diffs. I found a small piece of some kind of rubber thing in the bottom of the front diff housing on my K8S. I'm also going replace the metal shielded bearings and the seals on the diffs (not on the O8S because they are are already rubber sealed) . It looks to be too wet in there to be only grease. I'm taking them apart anyways. I didn't change the seals on the O8S. All my diffs were like half empty.
20200828_194838.jpg
20200828_194800.jpg

Well here's another reason to check your front and rear diffs. I found a small piece of some kind of rubber thing in the bottom of the front diff housing on my K8S. I'm also going replace the metal shielded bearings and the seals on the diffs (not on the O8S because they are are already rubber sealed) . It looks to be too wet in there to be only grease. I'm taking them apart anyways. I didn't change the seals on the O8S. All my diffs were like half empty.
View attachment 97097View attachment 97098
Isn’t that the diff housing gasket?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back