Diff issue with my Kraton EXB.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
Hi folks,

I am new to this hobby and had approx 10 rides with my EXB when i noticed its only a 3WD...
I opened the read diff and found out that one of the pins broke into 3 pieces which drive the sungear.
i also noticed not enough oil in it.
Because i heard that arrma had issues with the rear diff (no LSD plated without extra shiming) i decided to fully disassemlble all three diffs.
I think i have one of the newer EXBs which had some extra externat shims (ARA709031) included.
Now what me confused is that the rear diff had only 2 of the star shaped LSD plates on both side, the round one in the middle is missing. but there is no extra shim to fill the gap.
in the manual there are no LSD plates at all but a washer instead.

I hope you can assist me as i don`t know what is the correct setup for the read diff.

Mandy Thank in advance

Andy

20210118_230426.jpg

20210119_120045.jpg

Last edited:
The 2nd batch of EXBs should come with LSDs in the minimum effect. If one was missing, then call HH for warranty claim so they can send you a new rear diff.

Ask for the open diff design. That one comes with a 1.9mm shim instead of LSDs

92595-6881f2a395ce8cf2892797682ef65164.png

Thank you for this info, its not in the manual.
I had a closer look after i soaked them in brakecleaner for the night and... its there!
I just checked between the star shaped ones but it was hidden in the grease behind the second one.
Now i can start reassembling.
But maybe somebody can explain how this LSD plates actually works and what is meant by max and min effect depending where the round one is placed. i just don't get it yet....

Good to hear! There's a certain way to reassemble the LSD plates. There's a video how-to on youtube somewhere.

LSD stands for Limited Slip Differential so it literally limits the slip in the differential so you don't have to use heavier diff oil.

If you notice the round plate, it locks into the sun gear. The star plates lock into the diff case. Depending on where the round plate is, you'll get 2 or 1 Friction/Resistance areas in between the plates. Hence the Maximum/Minimum effect

cool thanks for your hints. now its clear to me.
jondilly, what is the benefit of an open rear diff?
I think i reassemle it the original way, except you guys have some professional tips i should take into consideration.
what oil to be used for instance, or should i shim some internal parts...
two more question i have for now:
can i use the old gaskets? i treated them very carefully because they are sold out everywhere in germany.
can i use loctite in the plastic housing? i heard it is aggressive to plastic...

Open rear helps with turning. If you lock up the rear or use too heavy oil, you'll spin out easily or tend to fishtail a lot

Oil is preference but most have heavy oil in center. Stock is 100k, some use 200k or 300k. Stock for both F/R is 10k. Most put heavier oil in front than rear.

I went with 30k/150k/15k/ and I'm happy with it, but like I said it's all preference.

If gasket is in good shape and not ripped I'd use it.

No loctite on any plastic. Loctite is usually for metal to metal. Just don't over tighten when going into plastic threads or you'll strip them

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back