Kraton Diff issues on v3. Help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruizjunior83

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
So I have a v3 Kraton and on 6s when I hit full throttle to wheelie or try to flip on a jump the diffs slip. It’s like the kraton stutters. I put a shim behind the input gear and an extra one on the outside to see if it brought the mesh closer but it still does it. I have 100k/500k/10k currently. I don’t know what to do. :confused: o_OI can’t really enjoy my rc if I can’t push it to its limits. I can’t even get a backflip on the small jobs because when I hit the full throttle it’ stutters and stops midair lands upside down

So I have a v3 Kraton and on 6s when I hit full throttle to wheelie or try to flip on a jump the diffs slip. It’s like the kraton stutters. I put a shim behind the input gear and an extra one on the outside to see if it brought the mesh closer but it still does it. I have 100k/500k/10k currently. I don’t know what to do. :confused:o_OI can’t really enjoy my rc if I can’t push it to its limits. I can’t even get a backflip on the small jobs because when I hit the full throttle it’ stutters and stops midair lands upside down

Good chance the damage has been done. I got a new Notorious last weekend. First time I ran it I heard it click a little. I didn’t think much of it. Then I started doing standing back flips and noticed the diff slip. Ran it a little more and it got progressively worse. I pulled both diffs and the rear ring gear was slightly worn. The front ring gear was wrecked. I replaced both and added one extra shim to the ring gear side on each. No more slipping. If you’ve stripped teeth, there isn’t any amount of shimming you can do to fix it.

So I have a v3 Kraton and on 6s when I hit full throttle to wheelie or try to flip on a jump the diffs slip. It’s like the kraton stutters. I put a shim behind the input gear and an extra one on the outside to see if it brought the mesh closer but it still does it. I have 100k/500k/10k currently. I don’t know what to do. :confused:o_OI can’t really enjoy my rc if I can’t push it to its limits. I can’t even get a backflip on the small jobs because when I hit the full throttle it’ stutters and stops midair lands upside down

He is right, sometimes you cant shim it once the damage is done.

Good chance the damage has been done. I got a new Notorious last weekend. First time I ran it I heard it click a little. I didn’t think much of it. Then I started doing standing back flips and noticed the diff slip. Ran it a little more and it got progressively worse. I pulled both diffs and the rear ring gear was slightly worn. The front ring gear was wrecked. I replaced both and added one extra shim to the ring gear side on each. No more slipping. If you’ve stripped teeth, there isn’t any amount of shimming you can do to fix it.
He is right, sometimes you cant shim it once the damage is done.
i checked both front and rear input and ring gears and they compared to a new one I have and they are exactly the same. No broken teeth or stripped in any way.

Define slipping then

before shimming or going to aluminum diff bulkheads i could hear the gears skip

when you look at the gears, sometimes they wont look stripped or damaged, but the teeth edges will be slightly more rounded and less square and that is worn out allowing the slipping.

Here is my bad ring gear from the front t diff of my Kraton. If you look closely you can see the burst on the side of the teeth. You can definitely feel them. It doesn't look like much at all and with grease on it you wouldn't even see it. But even with 2 outside shims it was slipping like crazy. The only other thing I can think of that would cause it to slip besides the gears themselves would be a cracked gearbox that is flexing. Or the gear box cover isn't tight enough due to stripped screws.

20181109_080457.jpg
20181109_080547.jpg
20181109_080606.jpg

Here is another damaged ring gear. It's just a few teeth thay are chipped but it's enough to make it slip/slip. Again, it's easier to feel than to see.

20181109_081822_001.jpg
20181109_081829.jpg

So I have another idea... it sounds like it may be an esc problem, not a diff problem. If your in the air the diff shouldn't slip due to no traction on the tires. I had a problem with my v3 typhon esc not sending power when I hit full throttle. Kind of did the same thing your kraton is doing. You should hear a bad diff. I may be wrong but thought i would inject my opinion...

So I have another idea... it sounds like it may be an esc problem, not a diff problem. If your in the air the diff shouldn't slip due to no traction on the tires. I had a problem with my v3 typhon esc not sending power when I hit full throttle. Kind of did the same thing your kraton is doing. You should hear a bad diff. I may be wrong but thought i would inject my opinion...

I spect that's a possibility, or maybe a receiver issue, open or shorting wire under certain condition, loose connection or even maybe the on/off switch. Might be harder to track down than one would like.

I was told at lhs that I’m geared to high. To try that. I’m at 19/50. Ima try a 17t pinion

I look forward to your "ESC/Motor issues on V3. Help!" post ?

Seriously, that's too much gear for the stock electronics, especially the 19t. You are going to run into heat issues and cook the ESC and or the motor. Is there a reason you went with such a large pinion? Do you strictly do speed runs? Are you running 4s or 6s?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back