Granite Diff lube ? Bro

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tumor92

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Typhon 3s
In all the 3s models do we have to put any fluids in the front and rear diff housings I destroyed my rear dif in my granite the other day replacement on the way but just wanna know if im supposed to put anything in there with it i think b4 I put this stuff called super lube in there I use on other stuff cause I didnt really think it should just be dry in there what does everyone else use in there 3s diffs

In all the 3s models do we have to put any fluids in the front and rear diff housings I destroyed my rear dif in my granite the other day replacement on the way but just wanna know if im supposed to put anything in there with it i think b4 I put this stuff called super lube in there I use on other stuff cause I didnt really think it should just be dry in there what does everyone else use in there 3s diffs
The manual for the Granite prescribes silikon fluid in 5000 CWT.

The manual for the Granite prescribes silikon fluid in 5000 CWT.

That is for internal use (inside diff cup).. externally, greased is used..?
Red and tacky by lucas works well.. just enough to fill every tooth of the crown gear (ring gear)..?

Nvr thought about using the Lucas lol I have some in the garage now when I get my new diffs I am gonna have to fill them correct there not pre filled ill have to grab some from my lhs

Now would there be any benefit to putting thicker diff fluid in these like 10000 w or no

Now would there be any benefit to putting thicker diff fluid in these like 10000 w or no

I run 50k.. so it all boils down to preference.. just have to try it and see what works best for you ..?

Ok I just got into the hobby so I don't really know much about it just wondering what the benifits are of running thicker or thinner diff fluid I see stuff on the bigger cars lile the 6s line wasnt sure if there was a difference the 2 and how they reacted to diff diff fluid

Affects how the power is delivered to the front or the rear. My understanding is thicker in the front will give more power to the rear wheels. Also can effect steering in corners.....thicker means more power to the inside wheel when cornering. Depends on the surface. This is my understanding I would be curious what others say.

Ok that makes sense im gonna have to do some testing with different weights now another question when greasing the gears is too much grease a bad thing causimg too much resistance on the diff cause over working electronics I put a good amount im there but im thinking I over did it lol

On the outside of the diffs just enough to cover the gears. People like the red Lucas grease. No need to over do it. No grease needed on the spur and pinion.

Ok I just got into the hobby so I don't really know much about it just wondering what the benifits are of running thicker or thinner diff fluid I see stuff on the bigger cars lile the 6s line wasnt sure if there was a difference the 2 and how they reacted to diff diff fluid

Thicker fluid helps you go straight. Thinner fluid helps you turn.

If you like channel 1, go thinner. If you like channel 2, go thicker. (y)

I made a mistake in my first post, sorry. The stock diff oil is 10.000 cwt, not 5.000 cwt, which you seem to have noticed yourself.
In race cars people mostly run what is called a "spool". That means the front diff is blocked. That helps the car pull out of a turn better. But, our trucks aren't race cars.... I'd say start with 10.000 cwt and work your way up if you don't like it. I like to make sharp turns so more than 10.000 cwt is not an option for me.
There's another thread here with loads of info to the topic.

I made a mistake in my first post, sorry. The stock diff oil is 10.000 cwt, not 5.000 cwt, which you seem to have noticed yourself.
In race cars people mostly run what is called a "spool". That means the front diff is blocked. That helps the car pull out of a turn better.

Wait, what? What race cars run a spool in the front?
Affects how the power is delivered to the front or the rear. My understanding is thicker in the front will give more power to the rear wheels.

No.

I literally build race cars for a living and have nvr heard of that lol but I build mid engine rear wheel drive cars no all wheel drive but thx for all the help with this looks like ill be tearing em back Down and cleaning out some of the grease gonna grab a couble different weights and play around with it

I just had to post in the "Diff lube bro" thread, BRUH!

External ring and pinion gears get a very light coat of grease. If you put more than a very light coat, it will be flicked off onto your internal diff case housing and now you've got more mess to clean up the next time your in there. The less, the better.

Lol I had to put 12 letters so I just but bro after it lol but yea learned this the hard way lol ill be tearing em back down to clean some out lol

Wait, what? What race cars run a spool in the front?

No.
RC Touring cars. Some models don't even have a front diff. If your model has a front diff and you don't like it, you can buy an insert to block the diff. Maybe writing "mostly" was exagerated, but you and Tumor (as a proclaimed Pro) not knowing this suprises me a little. They can be bought/run for XRay, TT-02, just to name a few.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back