Diff oil and shock oil - where and what to buy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RC617

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I'm in process of getting diff and shock oil for my Kraton 6s V5 in prep for my first maintenance check and I'm trying to determine the following:

-Where is the best place(s) to buy online
-What is the best to buy - are some brands better than others, or is brand not that important?
-How much to buy? I'm seeing ranges from 50-100ml or 1-2oz, but I'm not sure how much is needed for each diff or shock. I would prefer to have a volume that will be sufficient to complete multiple maintenance cycles.

What I plan on getting per the manual, unless there is consensus something else is better:
-FR/RR Diff - 10,000 cst
-Ctr Diff - 100,000 cst
-Shock oil - 1,000 cst

Diff oil has been very hard to find. My local shop has zero bottles. Online couldn't find the weights I wanted.

Diff oil has been very hard to find. My local shop has zero bottles. Online couldn't find the weights I wanted.
If the weight you need doesn't exist you can always buy different oil weights from the same brand and mix them accordingly to get the exact weight you are after.

Brands, im not an expert but i don't think it will really matter. some people use all sorts of oil in shocks (olive oil, sunflower oil) but I wouldn't use them lol.
Diff oil 1 bottle should be plenty imo, same with shock oil i wondered the same for the shocks. taake a quick look on arrma website for the shock dimensions then Google volume calculator.. if i remember correctly my exb rear shocks came out to be about 12.5fl oz each x 4 and will give you a rough guide.

Are you located in the US? If so, check if you have a Hobbytown nearby. I'm still new to RC cars, but I recently picked up some shock oil from my local one, and they seemed to have plenty of bottles in stock, specifically the Team Associated oil that I purchased. I think they had other brands, such as Losi and Traxxas. The 2 oz bottles seem to be average/standard, and based on servicing my 3S Typhon's shocks for the first time, I think that size bottle should last at least three refills or so. Adjust your expectations accordingly for 6S Kraton shocks.

If the weight you need doesn't exist you can always buy different oil weights from the same brand and mix them accordingly to get the exact weight you are after.
True. I was trying to find heavier weights and no one had anything I could mix.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back