Kraton Diff oil confused???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kezturbo

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Used my krayton and it was unloading quite bad on the front wheels so decided to change diff oil to help reduce this problem and also help it drive better.however I’ve had 1/8 size buggies and truggies before mainly race orientated ones and when changing diff oils they go something along the lines of 7k front 5k middle 3k rear as a guide and this is where I get confused as there’s a lot of people that run Kraton’s are using diff oil that is 70k front 50k middle 30k rear which is 10.times thicker for example.i have not known this before is it because it’s a bash vehicle? And requires really heavy diff oil compared to race vehicles? Hope this makes sense . Thanks

I was wondering the same. My e revo has 1 million weight center diff fluid, and some people are talking about havin 3k in other diffs. Seems like a big difference.

For bashing,, the center diff I run 500K,, no it’s not locked up. It makes your 4wd drive work on ALL terrain. Depending on your driving style your front diff fluid 60K, and 30k in rear. I like to turn in, and power out. Set your center, then dial in your front and rear.

On my Kraton I run 100 200 20 front to back. It really helps slow down the front a lot and pushes all the power to the wheels. It will wheel a bit if you really hammer it. I'm also running a Yeah Racing dual fan setup with an 18 tooth pinion and she flies.
On my Outcast I run 100 500 20 front to back. This is my wheely and backflipping master. Runs amazing with the heavy diff fluid. Thinking about going to 1 million in the center and giving it that extra level of flippability.

If you watch Rich Duperbash you can see how his rigs handle. He runs 50 200 20 front to back in his Kraton
And 50 100 20 front to back in all his other 1/8th scale Arrmas.

Here is a fantastic video about setting up your Kraton. He is THE man @Rich Duperbash

Also shim your Diffs! This takes a bit of doing it but once you get it dialed in it makes a big difference. I pulled brand new gears from my Diffs, put them in Hot Racing diff cups and then shimmed them with the Mugen E0206 shims. Then I got the Tekno TKR1222 shims and put as many as I could possibility fit to the left of my diff when I slid it back in. In some cases you can get up to 4 of them in there. For reference watch these two videos and read more on the forum by those that know way more than me.

If this seems like a lot well you're right it is. It will take time. But don't be afraid of it. The more you do it the easier it will get. Then when something does go wrong you're the man and can fix it.

Happy bashing.

Nothing wrong with running 100.000 or 200.000cst in the center of a Kraton, but I run 500.000cst just like in my Outcast and like it a lot. I think the big heavy Kraton can handle it just right. In my Senton I prefer to keep the oil thickness a little lower in the center. I have 200.000cst now in the Senton. It also has smaller tires so there is less resistance.

Different manufacturers use different scales to measure viscosity

Different manufacturers use different scales to measure viscosity

Well that's true when they use "weight" to express the thickness of the oil. When they use CST or CPS it should be a universal standard along all the brands. Unfortunately not all manufacturers use the cst of cps scale for their oils. So you can't always compare oil between the brands. There are oil converting charts available, but they are not a 100% accurate. Like this chart:

https://www.google.nl/search?q=oil+...AUIDigB&biw=1680&bih=944#imgrc=AmaFNcghWyoVWM:

Here you can see that 800cst oil is about the same as 60wt oil. And 1000cst oil is about the same as 80wt oil.

I have to ask a similar question. When I first bought my arrma kraton the center diff was leaking. The owner of the shop rebuilt a new center diff and used black grease he said is this normal? My RC vehicle is not showing any signs of any problems or overheating I'm just curious why he used black grease I'm assuming Losi

I have to ask a similar question. When I first bought my arrma kraton the center diff was leaking. The owner of the shop rebuilt a new center diff and used black grease he said is this normal? My RC vehicle is not showing any signs of any problems or overheating I'm just curious why he used black grease I'm assuming Losi

He put grease inside the diff? That's like using 1k oil. Waaaay to light. I'm surprised the front tires haven't blown off yet.

Edit: Do you mean on the ring and pinion? That's not good either.

Nope losi 1k black grease..car runs great no metalic noise at all.thing sounds like a Star Wars TIE fighter as it's flying by me LOL. This is what arrma said he needed to do when they sent him a complete new center diff kit if something happens it's his ass and there's I have the invoice number and the reference number I was just curious. When he said he put black grease in there I was confused also this is my first four wheel drive car so I have no clue I know that it was leaking before and this diff is definitely not leaking no temps to worry about on the motor or the ESC it seems to be running properly?

He put grease inside the diff? That's like using 1k oil. Waaaay to light. I'm surprised the front tires haven't blown off yet.

Edit: Do you mean on the ring and pinion? That's not good either.
I'm definitely going to keep my eyes on it.

Apparently so the ticket number and reference number from arrma to the local hobby shop with all the parts that's when he must have used I'm guessing Team Losi black Grease

Being perfectly honest if I encounter any problems at all with it and I've been beating it out of this thing past 3 months I'll just go hot racing slipper lock spooler. I'm only doing Street runs with this black top

I run the Kraton with 50k/200k/30k. It's because of the mega stupid awesome power of the 6s systems. It's all about drifting and steering the car with power and for that you need heavy diff oils. Otherwise the car is uncontrollable. For steering in tight corners on a track with 3s or 4s you need diff action hence lighter oils.

I run the Kraton with 50k/200k/30k. It's because of the mega stupid awesome power of the 6s systems. It's all about drifting and steering the car with power and for that you need heavy diff oils. Otherwise the car is uncontrollable. For steering in tight corners on a track with 3s or 4s you need diff action hence lighter oils.
Thanks that’s the kind of answer I was searching for I understand now why the big difference oils compared to other trucks/truggies what your saying is different oils for different purposes racing/bashing thanks for that

I also noticed a major change in handling of my Kraton after changing the diff oils. First I drove with the stock front (7000cst) and rear (3000cst) diff oil thickness but only upgraded the center to 500K/500.000CST. That was a lot better than stock. More power to the rear wheels, more 4WD, less ballooning of the front tires. But since last week I upgraded the front en rear diff to 50.000cst. It can handle the 6S power much better now. But I think I went too thick in the rear, because it tends to oversteer a little bit too much now. I think something like 20.000 or 30.000 in the rear is better just like JvG suggested above here.

after changing oil to 500000 should I be able turn the to drive shaft cups different duration it asks like its locked up now this is the center diff in aroma Raton

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back