Typhon Diff oil for f/c/r diffs in Typhon v5.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrGraffix

Reaction score
So I was at my LHS yesterday asking what weight oils to use in my 5 month old basher V5 Typhon 6s. They told me to use million in the center, 100k in the front and 20k in the rear. After buying the Factory Team oils and driving to 65 miles back home, I read the manual that says stock oil was WAYYYYY thinner!!!! R these weights way to thick or will I b ok??? I'm a basher and big air driver. But 65 miles each way is aong way to go for an exchange!!!! Thanks for any advice

20211111_144401.jpg

I say way too thick for a Typhon. Even Stock CST weight would have been better. Stock is 7k/10k/7k. You can go higher but with a limit. Or it will drive like crap.
60kF/ 200k-300k Center/ 20k rear is what many guys use. Typhon is light and runs small buggy wheels. This is not a 30 pound 8s rig. I mill def no good IMHO. Unless it is a dedicated speed runner on the street perhaps. Maybe I million for a Kraton or Notorious with larger MT tires is a different story. With 8s.
Should have read the manual first. That info is in Black and white.
LHS has no clue. They don't know the fine specs of all the rigs they sell.
That's on you to know. They just need to sell you oil because you asked. Or that's all they had to sell you? IDK.

Edited.

Last edited:
When I use to bash my typhon 6s I ran 60/500/30 or 80/500/60 on 8s now I’m 100/spool/60 I love how it handles for me. And no I don’t bash on dirt no more.

100/1m/20 is something i would of done, definitely 500k or 1m in center is a must imo

What’s your style of driving first?

A very knowledgeable chap told me he competes in rallyx (who has this great UK website
https://www.tracksidespares.co.uk/) , using a typhon converted (just suspension and shell change), and im sure he told me he uses 30,000 in the front, 1 million center and 5,000 rear , ONLY at our local track, which is a tarmac 1/8th track. Just putting it out there

@Peaks, The original post stated that he bashes. On tarmac there is a lot more grip meaning a lot more slippage in diffs which also means you would need higher fluid when strictly racing on tarmac
Ah. Yeah sorry man. I'm a newbie... i don't understand it properly. Just passing on the knowledge.

Last edited:
At 65 miles each way, figuring in actual cost-per-mile on your vehicle, it's not worth it to go back for an exchange. Just order some new fluid off of amain for $7-$10 a bottle and $1.99 flat shipping and you'll have it in a few days.

I'd just keep what you have and experiment with it to see if you like the handling characteristics. For a basher, it's usually really thick in the middle and then thicker front than rear (e.g., 100-500K center, 30-60K front, 10-20K rear) - play around and see what works for you. You can always lower the viscosity by mixing in some lighter weight fluid.

@Peaks, The original post stated that he bashes. On tarmac there is a lot more grip meaning a lot more slippage in diffs which also means you would need higher fluid when strictly racing on tarmac
^^^ This.

Well thanks for all the replies...I went ahead and put 1m center, 100k fr and 20k rear. Gonna go run it tomorrow n see how it drives.

@MrGraffix How'd your run go? I'm curious to hear people's opinion on how their changes impact the way the buggy drives. It's good to note what environment you are driving it in too :)

I currently run 10k in the center. 7k in front and 5k in the rear. I bash it but on a track my buddy built on his property. We groom it but the conditions change depending on weather.

Its winter now so the season is over and it's time to rebuild it. I was considering 100k in the center, 40k in the front and 20k in the rear.
PXL_20211106_174511400.jpg

@MrGraffix How'd your run go? I'm curious to hear people's opinion on how their changes impact the way the buggy drives. It's good to note what environment you are driving it in too :)

I currently run 10k in the center. 7k in front and 5k in the rear. I bash it but on a track my buddy built on his property. We groom it but the conditions change depending on weather.

Its winter now so the season is over and it's time to rebuild it. I was considering 100k in the center, 40k in the front and 20k in the rear.
View attachment 180227
10k is wayyy too light for the center if running 4s or 6s. 10k is what is in the front and rear diffs from factory (LSD Diffs)

Why does Arrma suggest these weights? :l
Some are talking about track conditions and diff oils. I'll have to read up on this some more.

It's still good to hear about different opinions but more importantly why and what conditions they were messing around in.

We only use 6S on his track. Sometimes the xmaxx too :p

Last edited:
Why does Arrma suggest these weights? :l
Some are talking about track conditions and diff oils. I'll have to read up on this some more.

It's still good to hear about different opinions but more importantly why and what conditions they were messing around in.

We only use 6S on his track. Sometimes the xmaxx too :p

I am no expert when it comes to diff fluids in racing buggies, but I found this thread helpful in explaining things so I'll let those with more knowledge and experience speak for me:

https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/459375-diff-tuning.html

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back