Diff oil question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jdubya

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
Greetings! I'm writing this to gain some advice on differential oil weights. I have the Typhon v4 running on 6s. I run it my backyard which is about the size of a football field and is all short grass. I notice I get alot of front wheel spin when I hammer it straight down my yard. I've been thinking about putting heavier oil in my center diff. Right now it has stock diff oil which I believe is 100.
also in addition, what weights in the front/rear diffs would be recommended?
Thanks in advance!

All personal preference for the conditions and surfaces you run in/on...

I run 50k f/r and 500k center.. the 500k will have less power bleed than your current setup.. if your looking for something more locked, go with 1m.. buy several weight fluids and try them until you get what you like...?

I figure there's only so much traction you can get. Thicker oil will increase the amount of power sent to the front, but also make it wheelie easier (and then you lose front traction and end up where you started or worse). Race buggies run 5, 7, 10k, maybe 15 max. Gotta be a reason for that.

Rule of thumb is center heaviest, rear lightest.

I run 100k center in my Outcast (converted Kraton) and frankly don't feel the need to go thicker for now, to avoid excessive wheelies. Most folks run thicker. Typhon is a different beast though. Maybe get a spare center diff from Jennys so you can play around with weights and swap them quickly.

You can mix oils to get inbetween viscosities, but you need a calculator (there's a few online) to figure out the ratio.

Where was I going with this... dunno.

Going heavier in the center diff will stop front wheel spin to a the point . Heavier oil will also make the truck wheelie easier. Also a little heavier in the front diff will help. I'm running 100/500/50 F/C/R and it seems to work good for me.
Try 500 in the center and if it wheelies too easy go down from there.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back