Typhon Diff oil weight for speed runs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjl5590

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I think I need to change my diff oil for front center and rear. I bought it used and I think the oil is too light. I do a lot of speed runs, and it always wheelies, unloads the front tires and they balloon like crazy. Also, when I turn, the inside wheels balloon a lot too.

Should I go for some 1M oil in the center diff?

Thanks

So I would think a 1mil center, 100k front and rear should be thick enough for speed runs. Possibly even consider locking the diffs up completely. I'm not a speed runner, but I do know that i got rid of a lot of the front end unloading with 100k center, 60 k front, 20k back. That would make me think if you want it gone completely to use extremely heavy fluid, or lock them completely for speed runs.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HOT-RACING...285325&hash=item48aeb6051b:g:xN8AAOSw05tafQ3q

Thanks for the reply, so if you went with 100k in the center, isn't 1M rather a big step-up from that? Maybe I should go for 200k

Well I still get some wheelies out of it, and want it to be able to use it mass to rotate in the air. A speed run you want all tires moving exactly the same speed. Any variance could spell disaster at speed. So much heavier, or locked diffs I think would be best. Again, I'm not a speed runner, but logically that seems to make sense to me.

I do not do "speed runs" but would like to give some food for thought. Locking all the diff's can seem logical, But, For ultimate handling and stability all the wheels need to be able to rotate at different speeds even if it is slight, due to differences in traction wheel to wheel and the fact that the distance traveled by left and right sides and front to rear is unequal when turning even slightly. Also all the tires circumferences are not equal and they each will grow slightly different amounts as speed increases. Locking everything up can have a very adverse effect on handling (stability). Stiffening everything up is ok but not to the point of no or not enough diff action. Another point is that, Sliding wheel's will always try to lead. It doesn't matter if it slides due to spinning faster than required or slower. Allowing the front tires to spin a little sooner than the rears will keep the back end from trying to pass the front end. Wheelies will always be a problem providing the traction is there and the acceleration is too quick.

Yeah i don't think i'd go for a locked diff.

I'm thinking 100,000wt in the front, 500,000wt in the center, and 50,000wt in the rear

For speed lock center diff or like myself and many others run a spool in center.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back