Kraton Diff oils

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyfisher

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Im running a stock gear set up with trencher tires, but I feel like im still not getting front end power. I have 500k in the center diff and 200k in front with 200k in rear. Bought some 1m, but haven't installed it yet. Has anyone ever tried the 20million that the e-revo uses? Seems like it would be a bit to much. Was thinkingking about going to 500/1,000,000/200, but I don't know enough about it to not be nervous about ruining something.

thats a lot for the front and rear man...I run 70k front/rear and like it... center can go 100-200k... Ive never heard of anyone running higher than that...

yeah, I don't know a whole lot about this stuff and still learning, but that sounds way high in the front/rear. maybe that's the problem and you actually need to go lighter in those areas.

you're probably losing a lot of power via friction...500k is like liquid nails..

yeah, i only own arrma vehicles so don't know about other stuff but the arrma comes with like 10k f/r... 70k is a big jump...200k is prob gonna burn motor out before it breaks down...

The E-revo 20m wt refers to diff "fluid" (even though it's labeled/marketed as "oil") which is basically grease and different from the standard diff oil from what I understand. if you check random forums, most people run 30k f/r and 100k in the middle on their E-revos at most.

Still learning, but from what i've read, you want thicker in the middle and way less in the front/rear as Dutch stated, you're prob killing your power transfer due to excessive friction.

yeah, that was a joke.. but i would love to hear some science brother...

In order for a vehicle to turn effectively, the outside wheel needs to spin faster than the inside wheel. The thicker the front and rear, the harder it is for the wheels to turn at different speeds. I run 500k in my center and that helps keep the power distribution between the front and the rear equal. If I wanted more power in the front, I would go lighter in the center. The weight in the front and rear do not affect the power distribution between the front wheels and the rear wheels. The op’s set up would produce a truck that doesn’t turn very well.

I put 1m in the center diff on my Outcast and 100k front and rear but I pretty much only run it in the woods. This gives it much better 4x4 action for going over logs and large rocks. I don't jump it or race around with it.

im surprised you run 500k in center... im at 150k in center.. i trust your knowledge for sure though... im gonna step it up slow though...

I put 1m in the center diff on my Outcast and 100k front and rear but I pretty much only run it in the woods. This gives it much better 4x4 action for going over logs and large rocks. I don't jump it or race around with it.

I pretty much just jump mine... i haven't spent a whole lot of time off roading any of my trucks...

im surprised you run 500k in center... im at 150k in center.. i trust your knowledge for sure though... im gonna step it up slow though...

It’s all personal preference. There is no real "right" or "wrong". I went with 500k because I had real severe ballooning going on with the front tires.

I vented the outside of my badlands mx the other day but used them once prior and they were horrible with ballooning..ill let you know how they do after...i broke a bunch of poop so waiting on a voltage order...lol Arrmalife..

Thanks for all the replies. I will try playing with it some more. Sounds like the ballooning in the front is just part for the course. I'll try mixing it up this weekend when I have time to play with it and report back.

In order for a vehicle to turn effectively, the outside wheel needs to spin faster than the inside wheel. The thicker the front and rear, the harder it is for the wheels to turn at different speeds. I run 500k in my center and that helps keep the power distribution between the front and the rear equal. If I wanted more power in the front, I would go lighter in the center. The weight in the front and rear do not affect the power distribution between the front wheels and the rear wheels. The op’s set up would produce a truck that doesn’t turn very well.

On point. Heavier front/rear oil will prevent lateral unloading when turning in and powering out of a corner, I assume the truck would have massive understeer.

Im running a stock gear set up with trencher tires, but I feel like im still not getting front end power. I have 500k in the center diff and 200k in front with 200k in rear. Bought some 1m, but haven't installed it yet. Has anyone ever tried the 20million that the e-revo uses? Seems like it would be a bit to much. Was thinkingking about going to 500/1,000,000/200, but I don't know enough about it to not be nervous about ruining something.

@Flyfisher you want more front end power or do you want better acceleration? The 500K setup you have there will prevent unloading to your front and give you good acceleration. When accelerating, power is transferred to the rear, and high viscosity diff oil, 500K, would minimise robbing the rear of power and transferring it to the front, therefore better acceleration.

Last edited:
Great post guys.

I have a Kraton and 2.0. Both are fitted with vented Talons. The Revo is standard, the Kraton now has 500k in the centre diff.

On heavy acceleration the Kraton will still balloon the front wheels and i have been considering 1 million in the centre. I also wondered if a thicker front would push more power to the rear (that appears not to be the case though).

The Revo appear to be more balanced upon heavy straight line acceleration (on grass at least).

I have wondered if i have inadvertently made it worse with the thicker centre though? By this I mean a heaver centre will load up the rear, this will cause a wheelie and lose of traction due to unloading as the car lifts.

It makes you wonder if its a situation that you can actually win? Or whether everything is a compromise due to having so much power on hand.....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back