Typhon Diff question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmg_79

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Bought a stock Typhon 6 v5 used which needed some TLC. I've cleaned, shimmed and filled all diffs with fresh silicone oil (in diff), marine grease (ring / input gear) and added fresh bearings. Having a lot of fun with it, but after 6 packs I heard some clicking noise today. The diff housing was full of sand and all teeth of the ring gear where clogged up (that's why the teeth skipped).

I'm used to finding some sand in diff housings during maintenance with my other cars, but not this much and not so soon.

Just curious, how often do you service your 6S diffs and do you have tips to overcome this issue (do mudguard help and/or perhaps other grease on ring and input gear). I drive on fine sand (part of the problem, I know) and grass. Thanks!

IMG-5778.jpg

IMG-5777.jpg

Bought a stock Typhon 6 v5 used which needed some TLC. I've cleaned, shimmed and filled all diffs with fresh silicone oil (in diff), marine grease (ring / input gear) and added fresh bearings. Having a lot of fun with it, but after 6 packs I heard some clicking noise today. The diff housing was full of sand and all teeth of the ring gear where clogged up (that's why the teeth skipped).

I'm used to finding some sand in diff housings during maintenance with my other cars, but not this much and not so soon.

Just curious, how often do you service your 6S diffs and do you have tips to overcome this issue (do mudguard help and/or perhaps other grease on ring and input gear). I drive on fine sand (part of the problem, I know) and grass. Thanks!

View attachment 149131

View attachment 149132
If that was shimmed correctly you shouldn't have sand and grease packed into your ring gear like that.

I would smear some grease where the diff mounts to the chassis and a little where the bearing sit hopefully the sand won't get past the grease. Or make some gaskets.

On second thought It looks like your diff cover wasn't on all the way and tight.

There are tekjo gaskets for the diff to chassis that may help as well. I use them on that and the ones for the diff cups.

Thanks for your replies. I've cleaned everything and added grease on all entry points + new bearings. Hopefully the gears hold up before the new arrive and that this will keep sand out. Glad the hear that this is not normal.

@1coopgt: let's hope it was the diff cover, would be an easy fix. Will double check to be sure it is tightened down completely this time.

@calebgilmore: they look nice, will try them if grease doesn't do the job.

Thanks for your replies. I've cleaned everything and added grease on all entry points + new bearings. Hopefully the gears hold up before the new arrive and that this will keep sand out. Glad the hear that this is not normal.

@1coopgt: let's hope it was the diff cover, would be an easy fix. Will double check to be sure it is tightened down completely this time.

@calebgilmore: they look nice, will try them if grease doesn't do the job.
Hows it holding up? Always wonder whst tricks worked

There are tekjo gaskets for the diff to chassis that may help as well. I use them on that and the ones for the diff cups.
I found an easier solution than fiddling a gasket in between bulkhead and chassis.
I got a roll of self adhesive window seal.
It compresses to less tha a millimeter and should seal the gap very well. I've only just done it on one rig. I will report how it works out in my build thread.

IMG_20230712_104519884.jpg

Little grease around the edges of the diff housing / cover does the trick for me (no issues any more, still drive in fine sand). Do that to all my cars nowadays with good succes.
Some dude said he filled the entire bulk head up with grease. I didn't know what to say. 😃 But that sounds good. Thanks for letting me know.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back