Granite Diff Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basher27

Reaction score
If just replaced my rear diff with a new input shaft and ring gear. I used marine grease to lube it. After putting it back together you can hear on the link i'm attaching that the rear is a lot louder than the front which was never messed with. Please let me know what I did wrong.

Could be just the new gears need to be worn in some. I would be less concerned with the sound and more concerned if there is some binding or resistance in the mesh.
How tight did you screw down the diff yokes? I do not tighten down the yokes much especially with new gearing. And did you keep the shim on the same side? Might need to add a shim if it’s too tight with the new gears.

I did not think I tightened the yolks very tight. There is a shim on each side, does that sound right?

No, this is not right. If the mesh is to tight you need shim(s) on the opposide ring gear side. If there is to mush play between input and ring gear you need to put shim(s) on the ring gear side. You have to play arround a little to find the best setting because every diff is different.

There is a pretty good video on youtube about diff shimming which i can't find at the moment.

Last edited:
Thanks for your advice! You were spot on. I had a shim on each side so once I took the one out on the gear side it was perfectly meshed. Thanks again

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back