Senton Diff question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just rebuilt my diff. Should it sound like this? Can I do something wrong? Diff seems fine but it's hard to spin.
Nope something is not right it should not click.

It looks like you are having to work hard to spin it. Is it hard to spin?

If so, I'd add some shims on the non-ring side to see if that frees it up a little. It might be that the ring gear is pressed against the pinion too hard..

It looks like you are having to work hard to spin it. Is it hard to spin?

If so, I'd add some shims on the non-ring side to see if that frees it up a little. It might be that the ring gear is pressed against the pinion too hard..
Did try that. Didn't work. Still needs more even tho I've added 3 shims. Maybe I just run it with the 1 stock. They gears are brand new. So don't they need to be slowly eaten?

I wouldn't try to run them in. Seems way too tough to turn. The bearing on the drive pinion are pretty hard to get on properly so I think that it where the binding is coming from.

You could try pulling the other diff and test fitting it's drive pinion and bearings to see if the problem persists.

I wouldn't try to run them in. Seems way too tough to turn. The bearing on the drive pinion are pretty hard to get on properly so I think that it where the binding is coming from.

You could try pulling the other diff and test fitting it's drive pinion and bearings to see if the problem persists.
Right when I start to tighten the screws it starts to not spin nice. Don't know what's happening. It thought this was normal with new gears.

OK, let's start with you listing all the parts that you replaced?

It is also worth taking the other diff apart (don't mix up the parts) and try fitting it's input gear to make sure we are on the right track. Also a good opportunity to compare the two to input gears to see if anything looks out of place.

Last edited:
OK, let's start with you listing all the parts that you replaced?

It is also worth taking the other diff apart (don't mix up the parts) and try fitting it's input gear to make sure we are on the right track. Also a good opportunity to compare the two to input gears to see if anything looks out of place.
Input gear and diff case ( crown gear ). I tried. My old used input gear and it works fine. Don't know.

Did try that. Didn't work. Still needs more even tho I've added 3 shims. Maybe I just run it with the 1 stock. They gears are brand new. So don't they need to be slowly eaten?
No, gears should be spinning smoothly from the beginning.
Did you install the diff backwards into the yoke? The yoke only let's you install it one way correctly. If you install the diff backwards into the yoke, it will rub on the yoke.

No, gears should be spinning smoothly from the beginning.
Did you install the diff backwards into the yoke? The yoke only let's you install it one way correctly. If you install the diff backwards into the yoke, it will rub on the yoke.
No. I did try to change sides. It didn't even fit on. Maybe just needs to be run?

If the old input gear works, then it would well be that the bearing on the new input gear are not seated all the way.
1674359094905.png

When I tried working on mine, I found that it was really hard to get the bearings all the way on. I checked my spares box this morning and found that I had installed the old input gear as I was spending so much time trying to seat the bearings. It is a really tight fit and I had stopped in frustration and put the new input gear away to deal with another day.
It is almost like the plastic on the input gear shaft is slightly oversized and the new bearings sort of "crush fit" by using a fair bit of force or leverage.

I am hoping someone more experienced in this issue has some insight they can share.

No. I did try to change sides. It didn't even fit on. Maybe just needs to be run?
I advise against running it until you get it figured out. This is not something that wears in. You'll damage other parts. It should turn freely.

If the old input gear works, then it would well be that the bearing on the new input gear are not seated all the way.
View attachment 271979
When I tried working on mine, I found that it was really hard to get the bearings all the way on. I checked my spares box this morning and found that I had installed the old input gear as I was spending so much time trying to seat the bearings. It is a really tight fit and I had stopped in frustration and put the new input gear away to deal with another day.
It is almost like the plastic on the input gear shaft is slightly oversized and the new bearings sort of "crush fit" by using a fair bit of force or leverage.

I am hoping someone more experienced in this issue has some insight they can share.
This is the sound with my old pinion is this normal? https://player.vimeo.com/video/791864153?h=e24867ed99"

View attachment 271979

With the new one everything is just very tight and the wheels lock up.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back