Outcast Diff Shim Heads Up

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slpcrf450x

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Just thought I would give everyone a heads up that not all of the diff shims are the same thicknesses.
TD310475 sun gear shim - .007"
TD310476/Arrma satellite gear shims - .006"
Mugen E0206 sun and satellite gear shims - .010"

I know a lot of you use a total of 6 satellite shims, 2 on one side and one on the other of each shaft. I personally am not a fan of using different amounts of shims on either side but we won't get into that. If you do 3 of the TD shims you have shimmed a total of .018" 3 of the Mugen shims gets you .030"
The best solution in my mind is to use 2 of the Mugen shims, one on each side for a total of .020" per shaft.

Sorry for the backwards pictures my front facing camera is the only one that works on my phone right now.

Just thought I would give everyone a heads up that not all of the diff shims are the same thicknesses.

I know a lot of you use a total of 6 satellite shims, 2 on one side and one on the other of each shaft. I personally am not a fan of using different amounts of shims on either side but we won't get into that. If you do 3 of the TD shims you have shimmed a total of .018" 3 of the Mugen shims gets you .030"
The best solution in my mind is to use 2 of the Mugen shims, one on each side for a total of .020" per shaft.

Sorry for the backwards pictures my front facing camera is the only one that works on my phone right now.

Great post. I've experimented with trying 2 Mugen planetary on one side 1 on the other. First time didn't seem too tight on Typhon. Recent attempt to do the same with full Kraton rebuild, was definitely too snug. Switched to Mugen shims after TD went on BO a while back. Having good luck thus far sticking with 1 planetary shim per side, 2 added Mugen sattelite shims, and 2 Tekno or 2 Kyosho bearing shims set on crown gear side front and back, tried to fit 3, but couldn't. Have also made it a point to keep main input gear cups well seated as close to diff cases as possible front and rear.

Great post. I've experimented with trying 2 Mugen planetary on one side 1 on the other. First time didn't seem too tight on Typhon. Recent attempt to do the same with full Kraton rebuild, was definitely too snug. Switched to Mugen shims after TD went on BO a while back. Having good luck thus far sticking with 1 planetary shim per side, 2 added Mugen sattelite shims, and 2 Tekno or 2 Kyosho bearing shims set on crown gear side front and back, tried to fit 3, but couldn't. Have also made it a point to keep main input gear cups well seated as close to diff cases as possible front and rear.
Thanks, I haven't ran mine yet because of cold and snow but I've really been itching to every time I see the Outcast just sitting. I just added 2 of the Tekno shims to the front diff housing last night, but the rear didn't need any.

Thanks, I haven't ran mine yet because of cold and snow but I've really been itching to every time I see the Outcast just sitting. I just added 2 of the Tekno shims to the front diff housing last night, but the rear didn't need any.
My Outcast rear crown lost 1/2 a tooth a while back. Should have come stock with atleast 1 bearing shim. I'm doing 2 for an insurance policy that the gears stay meshed. That 10 tooth spiral input gear is so small!!! It amazes me it can transfer so much power through it and not just strip out on the crown. I load up the gear case grease now too, as I've observed it flings off the teeth rather easily.

My Outcast rear crown lost 1/2 a tooth a while back. Should have come stock with atleast 1 bearing shim. I'm doing 2 for an insurance policy that the gears stay meshed. That 10 tooth spiral input gear is so small!!! It amazes me it can transfer so much power through it and not just strip out on the crown. I load up the gear case grease now too, as I've observed it flings off the teeth rather easily.
Wait yours has nothing for shims? Mine has one front and rear, the 2 that I added to the front were in addition to the stock one.

Wait yours has nothing for shims? Mine has one front and rear, the 2 that I added to the front were in addition to the stock one.
No, I'm running 2 bearing shims total front and back each. Replaced stock shim with Teknos and Kyoshos because stock shim was bent up. I tried to fit 3 shims but couldn't. I know others run 3 also. To me the more snug the better on that little input gear.

I just moved the diffs side to side to see how much play there was. Then rotate the diff back and forth while holding the input still to see how much slop there was in the gear mesh.

Want to shim all three diffs on my talion,got hr diff cups.mugen shim kit is what I need? Even shims per side makes sense to me. One shim kit enough?

Shimmed both the outcast and the "Tryphon" truggified typhon, basically went of rich's video on dif tips and tricks. Anyhow, I have had no problems out of the typhon, but I have this crazy clicking in the outcast now. I've checked all my drive cups and diffs (rebuilt them all with new shims and cups even) still,no joy. I can't find the click ghost. Any ideas?

Possibly a small rock rubbing a driveshaft or a tooth missing off the pinion or spur gear? Could also be a bearing.

When all else fails disassemble, inspect each part carefully, then reassemble. Its pretty easy to find the culprit once everything is out and clean.

When all else fails disassemble, inspect each part carefully, then reassemble. Its pretty easy to find the culprit once everything is out and clean.
I hear that.. I'll do it again 3rd time ugh.. Figured it was a common issue, but apparently not the case here. All good. I will update once I get it sorted.

I hear that.. I'll do it again 3rd time ugh.. Figured it was a common issue, but apparently not the case here. All good. I will update once I get it sorted.
Are you sure there's not a sports card clothes pinned to the wheel?? Sorry @The bashist, I'm just trying to keep your spirits up while dealing with this problem. Hopefully it turns out to be something small you have just overlooked.

Are you sure there's not a sports card clothes pinned to the wheel?? Sorry @The bashist, I'm just trying to keep your spirits up while dealing with this problem. Hopefully it turns out to be something small you have just overlooked.
Lolz! Thanks bud. Tbh at this point I hope it is just me overlooking something. I'd rather feel stupid for a minute, rather than being frustrated over not having my outcast. Although, I could just go get a second one....hmmm , That's actually not a bad idea now that I think about it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back