Kraton diff shim ??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turfRC

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
so i just got a new kraton 6s v5 (not EXB) do i need to add the shims or not? or is that only for the EXB?

thanks

The shims are for all the 6s vehicles. The only way to tell if your new Kraton is shimmed correctly is to open the gearbox and check for side-to-side play between the diff and the gearbox. My Kraton 6s V5 was shimmed properly from the factory so I didn't need to add any shims. And when I changed the rear gearbox to the Hot Racing aluminum gearbox the factory shimming was perfect.

When i bought my rig I watched a thousand videos and bought better thicker shims and aluminum cups. Ended up only needing stock shim arrangement. I tried it with mugen shims and it was too tight. From what I can gather it's different for every diff. U could clean them and dry assemble with an extra shim but if it no longer feels smooth ull have to take em out. It's trial and error.

don't quote me but it seems Arrma added extra shims to all the Kratons after the big dif issues.
After they fixed the issue I think they added the shims to the second (good) batch for peace of mind for the customers.
The people I've talked to who got their Kraton's after that 1st batch never needed to add shims. (not saying no one ever needed) but the people I spoke with had diffs set all good out the box as far as shims go. my 2cents

so i just got a new kraton 6s v5 (not EXB) do i need to add the shims or not? or is that only for the EXB?

thanks

I would always suggest checking the diff shimming for any RC. I got my Kraton 6S EXB in Oct and I did not have to shim it in the diff housing but I did check it. I did find other areas that needed shimming. With that said as the rig breaks in, always recheck if shimming is needed after 20 packs I normally do full maintenance then. Listen to it as you bash it see how it sounds as well driving, etc. I did fall in the group that @N.Mango referenced.

can someone show me a pic of exactly where to install the shims?
thanks

Here u go

20211208_212553.jpg

i know this is an old thread but anybody got part numbers for shims? both for the ring AND pinion. thanks

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back