Kraton Diff shimming?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EAGLELITE

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Has anyone shimming the diffs in the v4?,,,,,Ive seen a lot of videos on this,,,,just wondering if it helps any seeing the diffs seem to be shimmed from armma...Thankyou....

Has anyone shimming the diffs in the v4?,,,,,Ive seen a lot of videos on this,,,,just wondering if it helps any seeing the diffs seem to be shimmed from armma...Thankyou....
I haven't shimmed the ones in my Talion.

Thanks,,,but I’m just wondering if anyone has done. And what was the result....
Gotcha. I'm not sure where you would want to put additional shims inside. Unlike the V3 diffs, it comes with shims under the sun (large) gears. That's where people would usually add them. Throwing any more in would probably bind them up.

Gotcha. I'm not sure where you would want to put additional shims inside. Unlike the V3 diffs, it comes with shims under the sun (large) gears. That's where people would usually add them. Throwing any more in would probably bind them up.
That’s what I’ve been thinking,,,,,I was just wondering if anyone has done this extra shimming and what the results were....thanks

It is hit or miss...some are preshimmed from the factory and some are not. Recommend pulling them apart to take a look at what you have.

To answer your question, yes it helps to shim your diffs. It keeps the gear mesh aligned and snug. Too much play in the gears can lead to premature failure and excessive wear.

It is hit or miss...some are preshimmed from the factory and some are not. Recommend pulling them apart to take a look at what you have.

To answer your question, yes it helps to shim your diffs. It keeps the gear mesh aligned and snug. Too much play in the gears can lead to premature failure and excessive wear.

I agree with what you are saying with regards to external shimming. You want the mesh between the input gear and the ring gear to be nice and tight. But when it comes to internal shimming, I don't think it's nearly as important. If anything, people over shim the internal gears and end up with broken pins and broken sun gears. I think people shim the internals because that's what everyone says to do. I don't plan on shimming the internals of any future Arrma diffs. Waste of time if you ask me.

Thanks,,,but I’m just wondering if anyone has done. And what was the result....
Here is the shimming I have been doing with the V4 diffs and so far it’s working out great. The V4 diffs are shimmed pretty well right out of the box so additional shimming isn’t absolutely necessary, but I’ve found it helps if you crazy send like I do. Good luck hope it helps.

I agree with what you are saying with regards to external shimming. You want the mesh between the input gear and the ring gear to be nice and tight. But when it comes to internal shimming, I don't think it's nearly as important. If anything, people over shim the internal gears and end up with broken pins and broken sun gears. I think people shim the internals because that's what everyone says to do. I don't plan on shimming the internals of any future Arrma diffs. Waste of time if you ask me.
I also agree, it is really based on your driving style and habits. For the normal bashers, the factory setup is probably great.

Not too mention, it is part of the hobby to experiment with your rig to see what is the best setup. If your diffs are not an issue, why mess with them.

Bickety is correct, internal shimming is not needed ... this came about when there was an issue with sun gear breakage.. it's been some time since we have seen those failures...

Shimming the ring and pinion is more important.. I shim all diffs that I pull apart.. since shimming not one ring or pinion failure for me...

What do you guys think about REPLACING the internal stock shims with the Mugen (wider) shim? Is there any benefit long term? Should I be doing this as a preventative measure?

What do you guys think about REPLACING the internal stock shims with the Mugen (wider) shim? Is there any benefit long term? Should I be doing this as a preventative measure?

No need internally.. when is the last time you have seen a stripped sun or planetary gear? Even when there were failures, they were never stripped, just broke in half at the pin..

No need internally.. when is the last time you have seen a stripped sun or planetary gear? Even when there were failures, they were never stripped, just broke in half at the pin..
I’ve yet to run my 6S so it is brand new still. Just trying to get a feel for what preventative measures are worth the effort and what is a waste of time.

Are you leaving it stock? Or truggified?
I’m doing a street basher style and maybe some speed runs if I can get a safe spot to run. I’m not willing to risk injury to go fast, but I have my eye on a few spots that might work well. I don’t have any roads around here that aren’t always busy or full of potholes. The one I found has deep ditches full of rain water. I found a big church parking lot. I’m gonna try that and see if they kick me out.

The only reason I ask is the diffs will take less abuse with a buggy tire.. mainly why the straight cut gears are used in the diffs... it definitely wouldnt hurt to tighten up the ring and pinion with another shim..

What's the advantage of adding additional shims? What is a shim? Basically a washer?
Yes it is a precise washer. It is used to make the input gear fully engage the sun gear.

Shims come in all sizes.. but like stated they are a precision washer.. very thin, help to take the backlash out of the ring and pinion.. or any gears for that matter.. the more tooth contact you can get without binding the gear set up, the better...

What shims are you all using between the input gear and the ring gear? I'd like to get some ordered. Is the consensus still that additional internal shimming isn't needed on a v4 Kraton? I'm preparing to do my first diff maintenance. Thanks!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back