Kraton Diff shims: Be careful!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The E0206 Mugen shims (small satellite shims), are slightly thicker than the stock and/or Durango shims. As such, using them in addition to the existing shims is not a good idea. The usual method for satellite shimming using the TD shims is to go 2:1, 2:1 on the cross pins (so 6 satellite shims total per diff). If using the the Mugen's, than there is no need for that...simply replace the existing shims with 4 of the Mugen shims. The net result is a total shim distance value that is equal to or slightly greater than - using the 2:1 method noted above. The added bonus is the satellites are equidistant in terms of spacing as relative to each other, and the planetary gear. This in conjunction with a larger shim under each planetary is a tight, perfectly shimmed diff. Add one or two external bearing shims to remove any residual slop with outdrive shafts/cups.
As others noted above, a slight notch is good...because diffs always 'settle' after a few packs and said notchiness usually lessens as a result.

I followed the youtube and for the front used the 6 sat shims with mugen leaving the stock shims, the car did drive fine or so it seems
I did the rear as well but was only able to put 5 in as that was all that is left
Turning the diff was pretty difficult manually but in the car it drives

How exactly should the diffs FEEL, as im not super experienced

I plan on going back in and removing the stock shims and just using 4 mugen shims per diff, BUT that means i need 2 shim packs since there are 11 total and i would need 12 if i do 4 in each

How do i know if i need bearing shims or not?

I followed the youtube and for the front used the 6 sat shims with mugen leaving the stock shims, the car did drive fine or so it seems
I did the rear as well but was only able to put 5 in as that was all that is left
Turning the diff was pretty difficult manually but in the car it drives

How exactly should the diffs FEEL, as im not super experienced

I plan on going back in and removing the stock shims and just using 4 mugen shims per diff, BUT that means i need 2 shim packs since there are 11 total and i would need 12 if i do 4 in each

How do i know if i need bearing shims or not?
How has that worked out for you? What have you done since. Got a kraton and going to shim but still not sure on some things.

What is the best shims for Outcast?

I can't find the shims on Video on eBay
Can someone send me a link

thanks

I have been looking and all common suppliers seem to be out of stock,if i find em i will post link

The way I do them is following Drake's method.

Test shim with dry clean diffs, no oil, shim, assemble by bolting everything together. Spin them back and forth, etc, and listen/feel carefully for any binding/grinding noise. Must feel smooth and consistent all across. Keep shimming until the binding shows or weird noise shows up, not too loose, not too tight. If all is good, open it up, put diff oil and slap everything together and done.

I use this same method when shimming all my AEGs metal gear boxes, and works true.

I use the mugen shims and tekno 1222 shims on all of my arrma rigs and never had a problem. I use existing shims plus one on each shaft of Satelite gears. And like how they run like that. Never broke or stripped a gear and I am rough on my trucks. I could see how a new diff wouldn't need those or maybe because of different sizes and variation in molding of the diff cases. Actually the diffs sound smoother after I tune them. Good looking out on the info though

Be watchful on throwing out there the amount of shims used as others may see its whats needed and not be the case.

There is inconsistency in the tolerances from the production line so could be more clearance or less play for each mold. As it has been shown some need shimming while others need none at all.
Good that it worked for you. I always say that a better solution is a cnc diff case, and that really does help if bashing the truck hard. Although a fresh diff set should be handy at all times as thats part of the usual maintenance.

Has anyone else noticed that even with good quality bearings all the arrma center diffs move way to much front to back and twist side to side away from and against the pinion? If u have (witch im sure others have cuz all 4 of my trucks do it) try adding a shim or 2 into the bearing holder on the diff mounts, it's the same size shim u use 4 the external shim on front or rear diff at the out drive, i had a problem with my typhon having so much play that the pinion would grind on the spur in certain situations

Last edited:
Damn just read this and just shimmed my diff with that 2-1 with the spider step using the mugen shims. :/
I’ve found (in my cases) that the perfect recipe is 4 Mugen shims and then the 1 per set trick except I use the arrma factory washers here. 👌🏻 So 4x mugen and 2x arrma washers on the satellite gears. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back