Kraton Diff shims: Be careful!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigfella

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
I was putting shims in my project kraton diffs today. I put one larger shim under each planetary gear as is normal and they fit perfectly. The mugen shim kit also includes the smaller satellite gear shims.

I had seen some YouTube videos of people adding one of the smaller shims behind one satellite gear on each shaft. It seemed reasonable so I gave it a shot. The smaller satellite shims are unnecessary and made the diff feel kind of "notchy" and coarse. That buttery feel was gone. Not good.

I took the extra small satellite shims out and the smoothe feel came back to the diff. The planetary shims are awesome and really make a positive difference. The satellite gear shims are a disaster waiting to happen.

The moral is always read your individual diff as you are working. Don't just accept something because someone on YouTube says to do something. Some people may need the satellite gear shims but mine surely didn't. Had I run the truck with the notchy "crunchy" diffs they would have likely shattered.

Be careful guys.

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more. Every diff is different. I build 'm dry and first check if shimming is needed. I ended up using one planetary shim from Durango in the rear diff and two in the front!

I build them slightly "notchy" or tight if it's brand new. Or if one spot is a little notchy I find it to be fine. It breaks in perfect that way. If you build them loose, they break in even looser. Everyone has their own ritual to building diffs. Real tight and notchy...defiantly not a good thing. I build mine so they have an extremely slight notch feel...after a run or 2...they are like silk. I usually accomplish this by using Durango shims on the inside walls of the diff near the O-rings under the pin. if you can find them. :mad:

Last edited:
I agree, that's how I like them too. Just a tad of notch in a new diff. Fortunately, the mugen shims are able to do this under the planetary gears. I'd like to have some Durango shims but those things are as rare as hens teeth......

The E0206 Mugen shims (small satellite shims), are slightly thicker than the stock and/or Durango shims. As such, using them in addition to the existing shims is not a good idea. The usual method for satellite shimming using the TD shims is to go 2:1, 2:1 on the cross pins (so 6 satellite shims total per diff). If using the the Mugen's, than there is no need for that...simply replace the existing shims with 4 of the Mugen shims. The net result is a total shim distance value that is equal to or slightly greater than - using the 2:1 method noted above. The added bonus is the satellites are equidistant in terms of spacing as relative to each other, and the planetary gear. This in conjunction with a larger shim under each planetary is a tight, perfectly shimmed diff. Add one or two external bearing shims to remove any residual slop with outdrive shafts/cups.
As others noted above, a slight notch is good...because diffs always 'settle' after a few packs and said notchiness usually lessens as a result.

Great post Buck. I never considered using 4 mugen shims on the satellite gears. I'll try it.

The E0206 Mugen shims (small satellite shims), are slightly thicker than the stock and/or Durango shims. As such, using them in addition to the existing shims is not a good idea. The usual method for satellite shimming using the TD shims is to go 2:1, 2:1 on the cross pins (so 6 satellite shims total per diff). If using the the Mugen's, than there is no need for that...simply replace the existing shims with 4 of the Mugen shims. The net result is a total shim distance value that is equal to or slightly greater than - using the 2:1 method noted above. The added bonus is the satellites are equidistant in terms of spacing as relative to each other, and the planetary gear. This in conjunction with a larger shim under each planetary is a tight, perfectly shimmed diff. Add one or two external bearing shims to remove any residual slop with outdrive shafts/cups.
As others noted above, a slight notch is good...because diffs always 'settle' after a few packs and said notchiness usually lessens as a result.
Buck,
Are the bearing shims you're referring to the planetary shim in the Mugen EO206 kit?

I used the Mugen kit and used shims on both the planetary and satellite gears. Diffs came out a little notchy but should break in nice. I guess like others stated, tolerances vary between units.

I did all my diffs with the Mugen shims as described above and they work terrific. I'm not sure of the actual thickness but the stated width on the stock satellite shim is .15 where as the Mugen has a stated width of .20. Just add the planetary shims and replace the satellite shims if you are using the Mugen shim kit. I also make sure to rub some oil on both sides of the planetary shims during installation.

Buck,
Are the bearing shims you're referring to the planetary shim in the Mugen EO206 kit?

No, those need to be purchased separately, these are the ones I use;

IMG_0920.JPG

I have shimmed all diff's with mugen, setup 60 100 30, work great, i have run it for more then 20 lipo's, compare to other kratons in my group the car is quiet and faster.

Alright I'm getting ready to shim my kraton. Does the center diff get shimmed and is it same kit? Also does each E206 kit do just one diff? Do I need to get 2 kits 3 kits.

Hey buck !! Just started a thread on the out drive bearing shim then saw this. I've noticed a fair bit of play left and right with the rear diff in the gearbox case. Have you got a size or part number or link to these I think I need to double up !! Cheers any help would be mad :)

I bought 2 packs of these when I shimmed the diffs on my Kraton but didn't need them. I tried but there wasn't enough room

@Camo

Hey man,
If you are looking for external diff shims, I used the Tekno ones TKR1222.
See above post, I took a pic of the packaging.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back