Diff spools, or locked

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowtie

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 6s
Has one ever ran or are a spool in the middle and or rear diff ? I had read some where that it would break the rear pinion. I would really like to lock the rear diff on my 6s senton

Best off doing the good old silicone earplug trick. A spool has no give. If a wheel gets jammed up, something breaks, and for that reason spools aren't recommended when you can just put silicone earplugs into the diff to fully lock it. Reason being if something jams up a wheel then the diff will give instead of ripping the whole drivetrain to pieces.

Basically, instead of filling it with fluid, stuff silicone earplugs in. That easy. And make sure to completely jam them in there (because they're super thick, that's why it locks it up real good). After a run I recommend taking apart the diff again because the gears would have compressed the earplugs that you put in before, and fill in the new space with earplugs. After that it'll be fine from then on.

Mmmm not sure about that lol. Pretty sure it has to be silicone based or else it’ll degrade.

You could buy some Traxxas 20 million weight diff fluid if you want. It'll have the same effect as earplugs. That crazy high weight will be more than enough to lock up your senton diff. It's actually used in the Xmaxx's center differential.

For reference I believe the senton's center is only 30 thousand weight and the rear is 10 thousand.

Yeah I have some very thick diff fluid / grease I was going to try, but if I could get rid of all the stuff in the diff with spool, life and maintenance is easier

Back in the day, some would throw in a complete banana in the street car’s diff. That, or weld the spider gears. But this being RC, I’d go with thick grease (although I’ve run spool with no bad news to report).

A banana? Really? Back in the day we would feel the car diff with melted lead. Still posi but not harsh, rc diffs got filled with melted candle wax. Easy to remove if wanted

Yep, some guys couldn't afford the Mopar or Ford clutch additive so they'd throw in a banana. That stuff smells nasty going in and even worse when coming out and guy's hair would fall into the catch pan under the car LMAO

Ahhh... good times were had.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back