Limitless Diff vs spool for speed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StephenSchandelmayer

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Gorgon
  2. Mojave 4s
  3. Outcast 4s
  4. Typhon 6s
I haven't decided if I'm going to go full bore trying to do speed runs yet. But currently I'm running a 40 tooth center diff and a 39 pinion. And did 100 mph, more in it just need a better spot, but just for an example what difference would a 40 tooth spool make? I understand it sends more even power to the front and rear.

Most people use spools. It's just safer IMO (Diff Exploding). Also, a center diff weighs more than a spool so that's less mass the motor has to spin. The spool also provides even power to the front and rear so it's a bit more controllable when going fast. Wouldnt want 70% of power to the front and 30 to the back?

Most people use spools. It's just safer IMO (Diff Exploding). Also, a center diff weighs more than a spool so that's less mass the motor has to spin. The spool also provides even power to the front and rear so it's a bit more controllable when going fast. Wouldnt want 70% of power to the front and 30 to the back?
Didn't think about it exploding.......that would be unfortunate at those speeds. The weight makes sense as well. Thank you sir for that.

Its a safety measure. On high power, full rpm, hitting a little bump all power will go to one wheel= crash. If you run rubber tires its even worse as belted or not it will balloon. It usually is a front tire which will lift the front and backflip.
Beyond 120mph remove the centerdiff en consider locking your f/r diffs

Its a safety measure. On high power, full rpm, hitting a little bump all power will go to one wheel= crash. If you run rubber tires its even worse as belted or not it will balloon. It usually is a front tire which will lift the front and backflip.
Beyond 120mph remove the centerdiff en consider locking your f/r diffs
Jeeze didn't think about that either. Makes even more sense now. I believe you are the one that told me in another thread my setup won't surpass 120 because of the max 5 amp limits. But I guess still I should drop the spool in to be safe

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back