Different compound tire F/R for street/hard packed dirt bashing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joelk

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Talion
I was wondering if any of you have tried different tire compounds for f/r use and what your results have been.

I have been thinking about it and have two theories.

The first, which I favor, is to try a softer compound in the front, as even with 500k/1mil in the center diff, there is less weight on the front axle, thus the front has less traction and could benefit from a softer compound.

The other theory is to maximize rear traction with a softer compound, and, as the front tires are slipping anyway, use a harder compound to maximize r tire life.

I would also love to hear what the relative f/r tire wear is like from guys who do a lot of street driving.

Of course the best idea may be to just use the appropriate compound and rotate the tires, just like a 1:1 street vehicle. That said, many high performance 1:1 vehicles use different compounds/tires f/r.

My application will be a Talion on some pavement, but mostly smooth hard packed dirt. Considering the Powerhobby Scorpion tires. Leaning towards race compound f/r, but considering trying the sport compound on one axle as well. May buy 4 race, 2 sport, and see what works.

Also considering 1/5 grp tires with the adapter, but don't really feel like changing hubs when I want to go back to Katars or Backflip LPs for normal bashing.

Last edited:
I bet you can get nice results just working the diffs and surely would need to think fluid weight running more than one compound. Thicker fluid or modding diffs should balance tire wear as it is and allow us to keep it simple enough to rotate and manage just one set of tires compound vs more than one. Worth a try though for sure. I'm lazy. haha

Traction is only one thing, what about the F/R cornering grip balance?

The fronts typically wear out fastest especially on the insides with stock castor/camber settings. If you go with soft compounds on the front and hard on the rear you will get less wear on the front but also introduce major oversteer which will require extensive suspension tuning which would be a PITA.. unless you have a gyro?

Soft on the rear and hard on the front would require a similar PITA suspension tuning and probs still be very understeery.

Think I'd rather try and achieve my aims with diff oil viscosities, would be far easier imo.

The random best way is find tires that last long if you are Basher.
Cheap and easy.
Then you change Diff oils.
Like 20k rear 150k middle 30k front
Stock Arrma 6s Use mostly 10k front 100k mid 10k rear

Shocks got 2000sct.
Change chock oils to 1000sct makes alot difference. The shocks start work then.

2wd rc cars you can make huge difference by blend colors and shores.

Heavy 4wd basher Arrma Cars don't need this.
Try find something against balooning insteath.
And also Balance the wheels.
Just my tip

Then we have AVC today.
This is like ANTI SPINN system.
Adjust this right and you can drive like a Boss almost

Today i got atleast 200 different wheels.
Most of them is to 1/10 cars

my talion build (1).JPG

THERE IS ONLY ONE WAY.
Buy alot , try alot.
Like i have done and will do.

I always buy tires and rims loose, so i can gorilla tape tires to avoid balooning,
Sandpaper tires and rims before you glue them also feels me more safe than buy ready made.

Talion 6s best wheels (2).JPG

options talion 6s v4.JPG

talion 6s build 1 (2).JPG

talion 6s build 1 (8).JPG

Balance your wheels please.
This makes alot difference

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back