Differential lock question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frog417

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Raider
Do I have to lock the differentials on front and back or can I just lock the rear and leave the front with the spider gears spinning

Do I have to lock the differentials on front and back or can I just lock the rear and leave the front with the spider gears spinning
Need more info...
*What car?
*What is your intended use for the car?
*What are you trying to achieve?
It will help others with suggestions and solutions.

I don't think that function is available with the diff brain setup, I am pretty sure to do that you would need to run a 5 channel radio system that allows each channel to be toggled individually and completely remove the diff brain.

Need more info...
*What car?
*What is your intended use for the car?
*What are you trying to achieve?
It will help others with suggestions and solutions.
I'm guessing Nero, Nero Big Rock or Nero Fazon.

I have a raider I got differential help with on here the people are knowledgeable

on a 4 x 4 RC car what I have to lock both front and rear differentials

You either want to lock the front or lock both the front and rear. If you leave the front open but lock the rear it won't handle very well. The ass end will want to slide all over while cornering so you will spin out a lot.

You either want to lock the front or lock both the front and rear. If you leave the front open but lock the rear it won't handle very well. The ass end will want to slide all over while cornering so you will spin out a lot.
I went ahead and locked the front and rear. I used hot glue have you heard of or done this if so does it hold up well

I went ahead and locked the front and rear. I used hot glue have you heard of or done this if so does it hold up well
Not sure to be honest. I would have tried something like ear plugs or silly putty.

It's for a redcat blackout
Lol. My daughter has one. I’ve recently done maintenance on it. Not fun to work on. If you’re talking about single wheel spin front and or back it can be fixed with diff oil. I used 30K silicon diff oil front and rear. The diffs are filled with grease. Clean it out and fill with the oil. Hugh difference. The diff only has 2 spider gears but can be upgraded to all 4. I would do so. Purchase a set and upgrade both . You can go heavier on the oil if you want and not permanently alter a diff that can be repaired instead of replaced. Her car drives great now. Real controllable at speed.

Last edited:
Not sure to be honest. I would have tried something like ear plugs or silly putty.
Our local hobby store owner is the one that recommended glue but said putty or playdo would work I guess we will see

I've seen hot glue and even JB Weld. If you want to lock em up you can use many compounds. When you want to maybe revert back though what you choose will make a difference. Ear plugs are good and easy to remove, hot glue maybe less easy....the guy I saw that used JB Weld maybe reason why he quit the hobby after his TRX Crustler started exploding every run. lol

Lol. My daughter has one. I’ve recently done maintenance on it. Not fun to work on. If you’re talking about single wheel spin front and or back it can be fixed with diff oil. I used 30K silicon diff oil front and rear. The diffs are filled with grease. Clean it out and fill with the oil. Hugh difference. The diff only has 2 spider gears but can be upgraded to all 4. I would do so. Purchase a set and upgrade both .
I got mine in the winter and in Nebraska it gets cold and it seems like every time I drove it I'd break something on it so I got really good at taking it apart quick the rear had to spider gears in it the front just had . I hot glued both I have another set of differentials case and all just in case

I've seen hot glue and even JB Weld. If you want to lock em up you can use many compounds. When you want to maybe revert back though what you choose will make a difference. Ear plugs are good and easy to remove, hot glue maybe less easy....the guy I saw that used JB Weld maybe reason why he quit the hobby after his TRX Crustler started exploding every run. lol
yeah I left the shims off of one of the spider gears when I clean the grease off of them so I had to dig out the hot glue to replace it it wasn't too bad

yeah I left the shims off of one of the spider gears when I clean the grease off of them so I had to dig out the hot glue to replace it it wasn't too bad
Hot glue can be pretty forgiving. Similar to the silicone ear plugs folks use but it sticks more cause it's glue after all. The ear plugs seam to be the inexpensive fix and tough enough to lock em up. Dif oil is silicone anyway.

Hot glue can be pretty forgiving. Similar to the silicone ear plugs folks use but it sticks more cause it's glue after all. The ear plugs seam to be the inexpensive fix and tough enough to lock em up. Dif oil is silicone anyway.
This thread is the first I've heard of dif oil. Does it make a big differance on 2wd

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back