Differential oil for 3s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Velodromed

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Kraton 4s
  5. Notorious
  6. Outcast 4s
  7. Vorteks
  8. Voltage
  9. Infraction 4x4
What brand diff oil is widely used? Also, what is the difference between say 10k diff oil vs. 10k shock oil? Thanks!

I use silicone diff oil from 1up racing. They have a number of different viscosities at $6.50 per bottle and relatively fast shipping

https://1upracing.com/product/mr33-silicon-diff-oil-1k-2m-cst-75ml/

https://1upracing.com/product-category/lubricants/mr33-shock-diff-oil/

I Googled the difference between silicone shock oil and silicone diff oil and here is the answer I found:
Screenshot_20220315-030105_Google.jpg

Last edited:
The reason I’m asking about the difference between the two oils is I just realized for the last year+ I’ve been running shock oil in my differentials. Yup, the things I do when I’m not paying attention or know any better. Sounds like it really doesn’t matter though, it’s the weight or CST that matters.

Thanks as always for your input!
I've used Team Associated and Traxxas diff fluid. There is no 10k weight shock oil. 10wt shock oil is around 100cst but 10k (10,000 weight) diff oil is 10,000 cst.
I understand that actually, I posted when I was extremely tired and not fully functioning. Thanks man!

Shock and diff oil are all the same siicone oil. Just that when you get to diff oil labled weights, 1k CST oil ( aprox 80W) and higher (more thicker) these are for differentials. Shocks run thinner oils and sometimes/ most cases labeled by Weight designations.
TLR, Team associated and others are all fine oil. All being silicone oil.
I personally have TA, TLR and other less known brands. Thickness is most accurate when comparing oil thickness when using the CST designation. For consistency. Weight Designations vary by brand. Globally, with RC silicone oil, it is more common to see oil listed by CST. There is a chart that compares what Weight translates to in CST. But it is a rough estimate based on the brand.
Good to have a selection on hand.
I have 17 rigs here.
Got oil?

20220315_132645.jpg

Shock and diff oil are all the same siicone oil. Just that when you get to diff oil labled weights, 1k CST oil ( aprox 80W) and higher (more thicker) these are for differentials. Shocks run thinner oils and sometimes/ most cases labeled by Weight designations.
TLR, Team associated and others are all fine oil. All being silicone oil.
I personally have TA, TLR and other less known brands. Thickness is most accurate when comparing oil thickness when using the CST designation. For consistency. Weight Designations vary by brand. Globally, with RC silicone oil, it is more common to see oil listed by CST. There is a chart that compares what Weight translates to in CST. But it is a rough estimate based on the brand.
Good to have a selection on hand.
I have 17 rigs here.
Got oil?
Nice, that’s what I was thinking and hoping. I’ve dealt with cst and weight pretty much since I started in the Hobby so I can swap between them without too much thought. I have also been doing this long enough now to be able to tell the difference in performance between weights or cst finally.

I’m about to re-up on oil inventory so just wanted to check and make sure my thinking was on. Greatly appreciate your comments as always my well-rounded RC intelligent friend.

The reason I’m asking about the difference between the two oils is I just realized for the last year+ I’ve been running shock oil in my differentials. Yup, the things I do when I’m not paying attention or know any better. Sounds like it really doesn’t matter though, it’s the weight or CST that matters.

Thanks as always for your input!

I understand that actually, I posted when I was extremely tired and not fully functioning. Thanks man!
No worries, I once was filling a shock and it took me a few minutes to realize why it was taking longer than normal to fill. I then realized I had grabbed the 30k diff oil instead of the 30wt shock oil. 🤦

No worries, I once was filling a shock and it took me a few minutes to realize why it was taking longer than normal to fill. I then realized I had grabbed the 30k diff oil instead of the 30wt shock oil. 🤦
😂 yeah… I started this whole hobby grade thing a year and a half ago using weight and within several months switched over to CST. But I still have all of the original ones that I bought and basically will take what I can get for the best price, so I got to know the conversion chart and don’t have any trouble with different weights/cst. I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t doing something incredibly goofy like I normally would. I didn’t think so because all four of my cars run fantastic with the way I’ve been doing the differentials. It’s still good to check though.
Thanks man!!

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back