Differential oil weight tips

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is 100k too thin for a Kraton exb with a max6/1650 combo in the center diff? I want it to handle well without a lot of oversteer as I am actually going to drive it on the track some. Pretty sure all 3 diffs are LSD as its a newer Kraton. I plan to tear them down soon and put in vitavon aluminum diffs with M2C output drives.

Is 100k too thin for a Kraton exb with a max6/1650 combo in the center diff? I want it to handle well without a lot of oversteer as I am actually going to drive it on the track some. Pretty sure all 3 diffs are LSD as its a newer Kraton. I plan to tear them down soon and put in vitavon aluminum diffs with M2C output drives.
Stock if all LSD is 10k/100k/10k

If you are not getting the control you want on stock, yes up the center. More weight in the center helps control the power bleed from F/R for better control. Good place to start.

Stock if all LSD is 10k/100k/10k

If you are not getting the control you want on stock, yes up the center. More weight in the center helps control the power bleed from F/R for better control. Good place to start.
I am fine with the stock weights for now. Just looking to see what others have done who don't bash all the time.

Here's a useful chart to help you choose what weight thickness you should use your front, center and rear diffs.

View attachment 2986
I have this dilemma, which I’ve been pondering for a while!
Having started speedruns quite recently, some of the things I’ve studied and properly understood but others just seemed to make sense and I’ve applied them as such!
One of the latter category is diff oil!

The application is high speed speedruns, goal heing towards 205mph in time!

Some people say 500k! Others 1M!

My thinking is, there is some downside to tightening up the diff with 1M!
My latest (4th run since the start) is 140mph, with 800k and my consideration is that perhaps I will “free up the wheels more” the lower I go without going low enough to create problems, cook the oil and some such problems!

So, my first question is:
- from actual experience and testing, has anyone found a thickness that is optimal for high speed (120mph to 200mph) speedruns ?

This is so helpful! Thank you! I've always just gone with whatever everyone else is doing neglecting my driving style and purpose. I'd like to start getting into buggy racing and I can see where this type of information is invaluable.

Hello, In my stretched Typhon 6S i have a massive understeer when I'm applying the throttle, this wasn't the case earlier. What do you think? Time for some diff maintenance? And for a stretched Typhon, same diff fluid as a normal one? 10K/100K/10K? I have the standard diffs, no LSD's.

What has changed between it didn't happen and now?
Steering radius at full speed will always be hideous, thats just physics.
At lower speed, something like 50/300/30 might work better.

What has changed between it didn't happen and now?
Steering radius at full speed will always be hideous, thats just physics.
At lower speed, something like 50/300/30 might work better.
Nothing really happened I think, not that I know of. I like to race freestyle with my son, just blasting around the neighbourhood. I've noticed the problem first on vacation in the woods,.at loose terrain. At home I drive at all sorts of surfaces.

I will try you're suggestion. Thanx!

I am fine with the stock weights for now. Just looking to see what others have done who don't bash all the time.
If going to the track with it. Drive it as is first. Keep the stock oil weight in the beginning and learn to drive it that way. The only way to judge what's best for you and how you drive.
Don't jump the gun here. The after seeing how it drives adjust the oil to your liking. Only one diff at a time. Maybe start with the center like @parcou states. Not all 3. Or you will be chasing a ghost to find what is best for you.The center may be your first objective.
Oil is subjective for everyone. What works for some may not work for others. I Prefer Open diffs all around. With LSD diffs, you dial them in by changing the orientation of the LSD pates. Not so much the oil. So stay with the stock weights for now. There are 2 stage settings with LSD diffs. . For more or less LSD action. Arrma produced a video in regards to doing just this. Search for it. A must watch IMHO. Going too thick over stock oils with an LSD diff creates more issues. I imagine especially with confined track use. With Open standard diffs you only use oil to dial them in. Much easier. EXB LSD diffs were meant for bashing, not track use IMHO. Thinner oils generally work best at the track, for best lap times. If that is your objective.
You can always convert the LSD diffs to Open ones, using The Arrma Option Shim kit. One kit per Diff is needed. If anything you may find that the Rear diff changed to being "Open" is necessary for track use at the very least.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back