Kraton Differential oil

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Opua

Reaction score
Hello, i have a kraton 6s since one year and i never changed differentials oil (all three diff). How often does it need to be replaced? However if I had to replace it, since i don't want that the model wheelie be sure i would put 10k front, 100k central and 10k rear, what do you think of this configuration to avoid wheelies?
Moreover i have noticed that in crown wheel is present grease, which grease is suggest?

If everything is working the way you like it there is no reason to swap the oil. Good idea to pull the diffs and make sure they are shimmed well and working smooth. The grease for the outside I use red & tacky Lucas oil. Most hardware stores carry it. Do your front tires balloon with this setup?

If everything is working the way you like it there is no reason to swap the oil. Good idea to pull the diffs and make sure they are shimmed well and working smooth. The grease for the outside I use red & tacky Lucas oil. Most hardware stores carry it. Do your front tires balloon with this setup?
Stock for me is good, however i don't know if there is oil from the factory or no🤔
However my kraton is in this video (blue body)

Last edited:
I think everyone has their own oil change interval depending on usage. If you do a diff oil check and notice the (level of the) diff oil is still OK you know YOU can run about for a year.
If the diff levels are low either oil slowly leaked or it was underfilled from factory (common practice unfortunately). So after your diff service it check it after a while so you get a feel for your oil service interval.
As for which oil; since you like the way it handles now keep I’d use the stock oil (10k/100k/10k). As for wheelies, thicker oil in center diff -> less unloading power from rear to front wheels -> more wheelies.

^^^ like what he said... @Opua

We pay so much for these rigs I tend to follow the Infraction 6S schedule they put in the manual check the diffs after 20x battery packs or around about.

Lowering the punch can also aid in wheelie also just to slow that power or throttle control.

Hi, returning to the topic, but if i put 10 k to rear, 100k center and 20k front, so increase only the front from 10k to 20k, it would bring benefits in terms of no wheelie? Moreover, I should thigh to be the 4 screws (AR721312) of differential body, in the reassembly phase??
Thank you

Hi, returning to the topic, but if i put 10 k to rear, 100k center and 20k front, so increase only the front from 10k to 20k, it would bring benefits in terms of no wheelie? Moreover, I should thigh to be the 4 screws (AR721312) of differential body, in the reassembly phase??
Thank you
20k in front will improve your steering in every terrain except moon dust. I always run heavier up front.

You can put something like 50k in the center, it will keep your front down. I think for open centers, 100k is a sweet spot. It would be free for you to drop one point worth of ESC punch and try it out. Even two points. You won't lose any speed, but it won't be as aggressive off the line and will be easier to keep control of. Once you have the punch you like, you can fine tune the response with simple pinion changes.

From what I read here (and my 2 sample size experience) It seems like every diff comes under filled from the factory. Like everyone said 10k/100k/10k comes from the factory, so I would recommend you service them soon (same weight since you like it).

That being said, I’m really stuck on the fact that you like the stock weight. I don’t get it, it just balloons the front tires. I run 2 mil center diff, wheelie when I want it, throttle control acceleration when I don’t want it.

I recently filled a used Noto with 20/200/20 and it blew my mind how much power it had to wheelie, even at half speed, if i punched the throttle it wanted to wheelie. I would never go above 200k in the center, may eventually go back down. Ill likely try something thicket in the font as i notice that its hard to turn it under power.

Sorry for the dumb newbie question. I just change out my center diff oil on my kraton 4s 2.5. When you use the red n tacky on the outside do you mean you used the red n tacky between the spur gear and the pinion?

From what I read here (and my 2 sample size experience) It seems like every diff comes under filled from the factory. Like everyone said 10k/100k/10k comes from the factory, so I would recommend you service them soon (same weight since you like it).

That being said, I’m really stuck on the fact that you like the stock weight. I don’t get it, it just balloons the front tires. I run 2 mil center diff, wheelie when I want it, throttle control acceleration when I don’t want it.
I changed my stock oil on my kraton 4s 2.5 to 1mil in center diff. I was sick of ballooning front tires too.

No grease needed for the center diff. Front & rear yes grease on the main gear. Only diff fluid inside the diff.

No grease needed for the center diff. Front & rear yes grease on the main gear. Only diff fluid inside the diff.
Yea thats what I did. I used racing edge diff oil. I only added the fluid to the inside of the diff. I was just curious where others are using red n tacky or super lube. When I opened my center diff case the spur and pinion were dry so it didn't make sense to lube those up. Sorry again for the dumb question I just keep seeing everyone say they use red n tacky or super lube. I have only taken apart the center diff. I haven't touched tbe front or rear yet. So they are using the red n tacky and superlube on the front and rear diff gears?

Back