Kraton Differential shim badly worn on V4

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chiadennis

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Hi Guys
I had my rear diff leak after about a month playing with my V4. Since I needed to fix the rear diff, I decided to remove all the other diff. On opening the diff (non leak diff) I notice that the diff are not full. After cleaning the diff, I made a shocking discovery. The pictures are from the centre diff.

For sure I assumed that to be the case. I was just curious about the overall additional thickness (?) being introduced into the diff. If they were 0.2 then maybe reducing to 0.1 could be a fix....dunno, I don’t have a V4 and I don’t shim my diffs on my V3 so it is just speculation on my part

For sure I assumed that to be the case. I was just curious about the overall additional thickness (?) being introduced into the diff. If they were 0.2 then maybe reducing to 0.1 could be a fix....dunno, I don’t have a V4 and I don’t shim my diffs on my V3 so it is just speculation on my part
I would assume they all the same thickness. In fact I re-shim to 0.3 per side. I notice where were a lot of play and backlash.

I've seen that before in my diffs. They are worn. With the stock 100k and not a lot of it, I would say that's normal.

Hi Guys
I had my rear diff leak after about a month playing with my V4. Since I needed to fix the rear diff, I decided to remove all the other diff. On opening the diff (non leak diff) I notice that the diff are not full. After cleaning the diff, I made a shocking discovery. The pictures are from the centre diff.
View attachment 39186
View attachment 39187
View attachment 39188
Mine always look like the three with no arrow, that's a part to keep plenty in stock. the one with the arrow I'd replace the gear.

Hi Guys
View attachment 39186
View attachment 39187
View attachment 39188
also, I'd warranty this. ARRMA/Horizon hobby has the best warranty I've experienced with any product, if they sold lawn mowers I'd buy them just for the amazing support. if it's an item you broke by smashing into a tree don't warranty that, but this looks like a manufacture defect to me.

I pulled my Kraton V4 Center and Rear diffs last night with only 3 battery pack uses total (2x on 6s and 1x on 4s). It looked the same as yours. I think the center diff fluid and abnormal shim design might play some part? (only speculation) it is not the typical silicon diff fluid. It is some dark grey gunk (not dark from wear). The center diff shims are not flat shims they have a odd wave shape. It seems to wear the most on the outside (not the gear side) My suspicion is that replacing this different style shim with a 2 standard flat shims (even better with PTFE coating) might be better but only time will tell. For now I cleaned it up and put in traditional diff fluid and will see what happens. My rear diff has flat shims 1 per gear and didn't sound great when turning but during cleaning and inspection I couldn't find any issues and both mesh/clearances seemed good. Since I upped the diff fluid weight things should be rotating significantly less anyway.

-Liberty

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back