Granite Dirty power module

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skrrt_bert

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
So I've had the Granite since February and put a 3800kv system in a couple months ago. For the most part I have no complaints, one broken input shaft and a broken slipper hub the other day, I'm only running 2s and it's a blast. Yesterday my fears were confirmed however; I noticed every time I took the power module apart it had loads of grit and rocks inside. Little bits were getting caught and pressed into the teeth of the spur and really started eating away at the pinion, so every time I had it apart I would try to pick the rocks out of the spur and clean everything in there really well. Nevertheless, it was only a matter of time before the pinion turned into razor blades and stripped the spur in middle of a really great sesh out in the desert. So I'm wondering if anyone has come up with a way to keep debris out of the stupid hole in the power module. I was thinking silicone or closed-cell foam but I really can't fathom how to do that and still be able to get the module out easily. Maybe there's a different solution entirely? Hope I haven't been too long winded, I'd appreciate any thoughts and input on this. Thanks!

I had the exact same problem... After several spur gear replacements I finally gave up broke out the dremel and cut a small oval the width of the wear marks from the previous replacements. I haven't had a problem since. :)

I had the exact same problem... After several spur gear replacements I finally gave up broke out the dremel and cut a small oval the width of the wear marks from the previous replacements. I haven't had a problem since. :)
Great to hear there's a solution! Not quite sure what you mean though, you cut a piece out of the chassis or the motor mount/module?

I basically cut an oval out of the chassis right beneath the spur gear to allow drainage to take place. No more pebble problems or dirt getting clogged in the spur gear. Knock on wood it's been about a month with no problems.

Actually, it doesn't fmaramara. After the first run last October or so in Florida sugarsand, my gearbox was loaded with sand and literally eating away at the gears. I cut a notch in the chassis, right below the spur. Maybe a 1/2" wide, and 2" long. I have dozens of battery packs since then .... not one single problem. Running a Senton, the entire tray fills up with sand, rocks, you name it. I'm still using the original spur gear that came in the truck ..... one of the best mods out there is to cut that hole. Do it .... :)

Yeah, I actually prefer an open spur because of this. My 1/16 truck has no gear guard at all, and I have never stripped a gear due to rocks or sand. My 1/18, gear guards, and it has issues.

My Granite mega 4x4, so far no issues, with sand or rocks.

Wow i had no idea. Cool. I don't run in sand alot since everything was frozen just a few weeks ago , my spur is metal but ill look into this if i run into it. Thanks!

Okay I just found this
Should have searched first

A cutting I shall do!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back