Kraton Disapponting 1st Offroad Run

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

upTheIrons453

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
I hauled my new truck out to the local mountain bike track, and literally jump #1 broke it. I'd read that the suspension arms were a weak spot, but this was really lame. Especially after all of the effort required to haul this beast to the site...now I have to clean my real car, my new truck, and spend more money on parts. I really hope this isn't a pattern and that there are more parts that break this easily. The landing wasn't even very hard at all. If anyone has some favorite replacements that are tougher (I've seen a few manufacturers offering these, but haven't done my homework yet)....honestly I almost feel like Arrma should send me new ones but I know I can't necessarily prove that this was far from abuse...tho I bought the thing so I could abuse it...hope I'll be able to with some better suspension arms.:(

D9DC7A97-C8DA-4C41-ACFB-F98198A94B89.jpeg

Try warranty the part I have heard Horizon Hobby warranty are taken care of for 2 years even if you sell it to someone else as long as you have the original receipt

I broke 2 stock arms right away too now I'm running RPM, bake em in the over first (not sure on temp time) I soaked my in WD-40 but some say baking is better. It helps with the bending instead of breaking

Nice skid plate! TBR? I need one for the new EXB chassis in the mail should be here Friday
Bear Dancing GIF by TikTok

Last edited:
I had the same experience first day with the truck. Although i kinda saw it coming from all the reviews. regardless i really liked the handling characteristics of this beast. Since i have ordered all RPM arms, and had no issues with them breaking.......Although, they don't break they can warp, but seem to be easy enough to bend back. At the end of the day i can send this thing now and get through a pack without picking control arms off the ground. People complain about not having Drop screws, but i haven't seen that as an issue.

I had the same experience first day with the truck. Although i kinda saw it coming from all the reviews. regardless i really liked the handling characteristics of this beast. Since i have ordered all RPM arms, and had no issues with them breaking.......Although, they don't break they can warp, but seem to be easy enough to bend back. At the end of the day i can send this thing now and get through a pack without picking control arms off the ground. People complain about not having Drop screws, but i haven't seen that as an issue.
I use limited straps to make up for the no droop screws and i love em
I Hook & Unhook for each run
20210308_180429.jpg
20210311_114940.jpg
20210311_114955.jpg

Last edited:
The one thing I've learned about this platform is a bad landing=broken arm . I don't do skate parks or BMX tracks or jump landing on pavement/concrete . I stick to the grass field jumping and landing . Had mine since Dec 19 , only broke one arm .

I went back to K6 for precisely this reason. I find that I can enjoy running the truck much more if I'm not holding my breath the entire time :)

Thanks for the replies... I already ordered some RPM arms (those GPM ones looked fancy; but decided not to try aluminum yet)... never heard of baking them tho; any more tips on that, like temp/duration? I really want to toughen this thing up so I can get through some proper bashing sessions without breaking anything..at least not at the beginning of the run on the first jump!!

Try warranty the part I have heard Horizon Hobby warranty are taken care of for 2 years even if you sell it to someone else as long as you have the original receipt

I broke 2 stock arms right away too now I'm running RPM, bake em in the over first (not sure on temp time) I soaked my in WD-40 but some say baking is better. It helps with the bending instead of breaking

Nice skid plate! TBR? I need one for the new EXB chassis in the mail should be here Friday
Bear Dancing GIF by TikTok
RPM recommends Boiling their Nylon parts. That is from the Mfr. NOT me. And what I have been doing for 20 years with RPM Nylon parts.👍

What I do. Experimented with all those RC urban myths regarding WD40, the "do it all product". Tried every combination and way of soaking WD40. (n)(n)

WD does nothing, Just a Placebo affect and waste of time and WD40 cheap as it is. It just makes the Nylon shiny new looking. If that.

I think some have even used WD40 to shower with???:ROFLMAO: And swear they don't get Dandruff anymore.:ROFLMAO:
Baking Nylon is weird.
Where did you get that one from?🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
Baking would just make the Nylon more brittle and hard. Known fact. Bake at what temp???? Any? IDK about that one. Another RC Urban Myth strikes again?:LOL:

EdIt:
To the OP's question... User error dude. . Yes the stock arms break. First time out though , that was on you. You Watched too many TY videos on the 8s and sent it like you saw it. Be real. Get a set of RPM arms and boil them first. Driver error hopefully disappears. Practice more. This is a 30+ pound rig. No room for driver error. Drive in Cold temps and much plastic will break anyway.
Arrma is making 90% of their 8s profit on these stock arms. Cant even keep them in stock. A laugh.

Last edited:
Everybody breaks a front arm the first pack, ditto here😂
Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC
I've broken three left control arms on my Outcast 8s but doing crazy things like backflipping off a chain link fence (front bumper got stuck on the fence) and attempting a double backflip (landing on that front arm) and trying some big air on concrete (landing badly on that front control arm). I've since replaced that arm with an RPM one. But yeah. Lots of 20ft+ jumps with little issues with the arms. Now the shock shafts and broken shock rod ends are a constant problem! Hopefully the EXB K8S will be better. Hehe. I have some giant Rovan shocks coming for my Outcast 8s 🤣👍

Everybody breaks a front arm the first pack, ditto here😂
Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC
I'm actually pretty lucky nock on wood that I haven't snapped any arms yet just broke the chassis on my brcc and the diff in my noto. Ide upgrade to some rpm arms to help because generally they will replace if break I've already dealt with them and they replaced no problem. But they don't replace everything like most think they ask a bunch of questions to make sure what you did wasn't stupid, but they will replace most of the time. FWIW

BTW, I really didn't launch the thing - yes, the landing was bad - the jump was a little uneven; but the cold weather wasn't a factor (was probably 75 degrees here in Phoenix) ... I used to take the jumps 3X the size at the same track with my E-Revo all day, land sideways, topside, etc., kick it over & go again. I've driven 1/5 scale & really this was an event that should not have put an end to my run....This is a design flaw that I think the manufacturer should correct...though I don't see myself whining to Horizon because it doesn't make sense to even bother with replacing the stock part here because it's just going to break again.

Nice (y) Why is your truck way faster than mine?!
You do have the V2 ? Unless I'm wrong , the V2's come with the 23t pinion already installed . Mine originally came with a 17t , I upped it to the 23t . What you see in this video is all stock electronics , punch set at 5 , and the 23t pinion . I never did GPS it to see what mph it got , wish I did . As we speak my batteries are charging to go run it for the first time with the Max 5 / 5687 , 27t pinion !!! Gonna GPS it !! LOL Hope it does 50 mph .

You do have the V2 ? Unless I'm wrong , the V2's come with the 23t pinion already installed . Mine originally came with a 17t , I upped it to the 23t . What you see in this video is all stock electronics , punch set at 5 , and the 23t pinion . I never did GPS it to see what mph it got , wish I did . As we speak my batteries are charging to go run it for the first time with the Max 5 / 5687 , 27t pinion !!! Gonna GPS it !! LOL Hope it does 50 mph .
Yep...I think the only difference is the punch setting from the factory is 3 I believe...I'll kick it up to 5 when I install the new RPM arms (still waiting for them to arrive) & see if it makes a difference. I can see your truck lifting the front end a bit when you hit the gas, but I don't have nearly that kind of off the line oomph. I hope it's nothing related to my charger...there was just some weird behavior out of the box & some cosmetic defects leading me to believe I didn't actually get a brand new one.

I wrote to Horizon to see what kind of options might be available with the warranty. I asked about potentially replacing the OEM suspension arms and a couple of issues I've had with the charger, but unfortunately, I didn't get any response from them at all. I'm not going to make a stink over this because I wasn't expecting much for this issue, but I do hope that they'll do better should I run into a more serious problem.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back