Kraton Disapponting 1st Offroad Run

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wrote to Horizon to see what kind of options might be available with the warranty. I asked about potentially replacing the OEM suspension arms and a couple of issues I've had with the charger, but unfortunately, I didn't get any response from them at all. I'm not going to make a stink over this because I wasn't expecting much for this issue, but I do hope that they'll do better should I run into a more serious problem.
Unlikely. Their customer service for product warrantys is apparently 2 guys. I'd assume they're swamped. I didn't hear anything for 2 weeks until I went into chat and said hey no ones answering then they sent out the same day. FYI they try forwarding you to product support chat which is those two guys and they are never in chat.

The stock arms always break. 8s RPM arms are flying out the door and hard to find at times. RPM is making a bundle with their arms. They cant keep up with demand for them.
You are lucky.
Some guys are shearing the CVD pins on their first maiden pull of the TH.
And the First gen 8s 5mm armature motor shafts were snapping off at the pinion. Now they are 8mm I believe.
FWIW.

Thanks for the replies... I already ordered some RPM arms (those GPM ones looked fancy; but decided not to try aluminum yet)... never heard of baking them tho; any more tips on that, like temp/duration? I really want to toughen this thing up so I can get through some proper bashing sessions without breaking anything..at least not at the beginning of the run on the first jump!!
I've been told boiling them is the best . Boil for about 25 minutes and should be right as rain. I did to my arms but have not installed as I have yet to break an arm knock on wood. But very reliable.sources had told me to do this.
I've been told boiling them is the best . Boil for about 25 minutes and should be right as rain. I did to my arms but have not installed as I have yet to break an arm knock on wood. But very reliable.sources had told me to do this.
By @SrC Above me lol

I wrote to Horizon to see what kind of options might be available with the warranty. I asked about potentially replacing the OEM suspension arms and a couple of issues I've had with the charger, but unfortunately, I didn't get any response from them at all. I'm not going to make a stink over this because I wasn't expecting much for this issue, but I do hope that they'll do better should I run into a more serious problem.
Update: looks like they are sending me a replacement set of OEM arms.

They will break again. User error most of the time. Breaking out the gate with a new rig and all. The first set was on them. You will be eating these. At least you have a head start.

They will break again. User error most of the time. Breaking out the gate with a new rig and all. The first set was on them. You will be eating these. At least you have a head start.
I'm installing the RPM arms as we speak. I'm not buying the whole user error thing. True, I didn't nail the landing, but it wasn't a hard one either...I realize it's bigger & heavier than most R/Cs...but this was really not something that should have broken the truck. My MTXL was a total POS, but it survived landings far worse than this without breaking. This is a design flaw & a bad one IMHO....this many ppl wouldn't be breaking them on their 1st runs if it wasn't. I'm not a rookie, but don't plan on handling this thing with kid gloves, so if I find that I break the thing every time I head off road, I won't have it very long.

^^^ The Charger may be the bigger Warranty issue if anything.
Be persistent. Hopefully you filled out the Warranty form if your initial contact was email to HH Support. Or your email may end up in a Black hole/ circular file. :unsure: Try calling them or use the Chat fearure. Quicker results IMHO.
I'm installing the RPM arms as we speak. I'm not buying the whole user error thing. True, I didn't nail the landing, but it wasn't a hard one either...I realize it's bigger & heavier than most R/Cs...but this was really not something that should have broken the truck. My MTXL was a total POS, but it survived landings far worse than this without breaking. This is a design flaw & a bad one IMHO....this many ppl wouldn't be breaking them on their 1st runs if it wasn't. I'm not a rookie, but don't plan on handling this thing with kid gloves, so if I find that I break the thing every time I head off road, I won't have it very long.
Doesn't look like will enjoy this rig at all then.🤷‍♂️:(
Consider selling it.

^^^ The Charger may be the bigger Warranty issue if anything.
Be persistent. Hopefully you filled out the Warranty form if your initial contact was email to HH Support. Or your email may end up in a Black hole/ circular file. :unsure: Try calling them or use the Chat fearure. Quicker results IMHO.
Actually they did respond; it just took a bit of time. I'm told they shipped out a new set of suspension arms. I won't use the stock ones long term obviously, but I do feel a bit better having a few extras in case I break one of the RPMs while on a trip or something....The charger seemed to work OK after that 1st charge, though the balance port is a little sketchy... It's always annoying to get something brand new that's all scratched up like that, but it's definitely not something I'd bother setting up an exchange about.

So far my biggest concern about the truck is one that I've run into with every RTR model I've owned - the absence of a step-by-step instruction manual

It took a minute, but finally got the RPM arms & mud-guards installed..added some shock boots & got the ESC punch jacked up to #5...ready for round #2! Hopefully I'll get in a solid off-road run this time without breaking anything. :D

How the heck do y'all haul this beast to the track if you can't park right next to where you're going to run? I guess I could hook up a dog leash/tow-strap like I did with my MTXL, but that's definitely not ideal...maybe I can rig up a platform secured to my dolly... :unsure:

IMG_4914.jpeg
IMG_4915.jpeg

lol i had the same problem with my kraton 8s broke in 10min no jumps but HH did send me a replacement. but also they said they don't replace broken aarm but i got lucky

Reading thru this thread made me laugh a couple times. Bottom line like stated within, this rig is heavy and stock arms break, a known problem. Get RPMs like said, drive better as far as not landing on one wheel.

The WD40 stuff had me laughing, @SrC rou're the WD Man, placido effect, I love it.

Reading thru this thread made me laugh a couple times. Bottom line like stated within, this rig is heavy and stock arms break, a known problem. Get RPMs like said, drive better as far as not landing on one wheel.

The WD40 stuff had me laughing, @SrC rou're the WD Man, placido effect, I love it.
I've got the RPM arms installed & so far so good. I'll put them to the test this weekend at a big basher event but I'll be looking for more even/smaller jumps to practice on :)

It took a minute, but finally got the RPM arms & mud-guards installed..added some shock boots & got the ESC punch jacked up to #5...ready for round #2! Hopefully I'll get in a solid off-road run this time without breaking anything. :D

How the heck do y'all haul this beast to the track if you can't park right next to where you're going to run? I guess I could hook up a dog leash/tow-strap like I did with my MTXL, but that's definitely not ideal...maybe I can rig up a platform secured to my dolly... :unsure:

View attachment 137141View attachment 137142

I like the shock boots, eBay purchase? I have been look to get some.

Stay away from shockboots, just my advice. They will tear up like nothing and look ugly as soon as they get dirty. Pure shelve queen stuff imho but it's your money. Mine literally lasted 2 runs before the started ripping as they get caught in the springs etc. Just throw your money straight in the trash, saves you shipping and handling 😜

Stay away from shockboots, just my advice. They will tear up like nothing and look ugly as soon as they get dirty. Pure shelve queen stuff imho but it's your money. Mine literally lasted 2 runs before the started ripping as they get caught in the springs etc. Just throw your money straight in the trash, saves you shipping and handling 😜
I was thinking the same thing but I do like how they look. Has anyone found a rubber boot for the 8s like the 6s Kraton?

^^^This plus +1
Been there. The boots were freebi and tried them. PIA to install. I would never spend money on them. On my Kraton they are a ragged mess. The rubber shock rod boots are all you need and want. Don't neglect them and the shock rods won't get scored and pitted.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back