Kraton Disassemble steering post Kraton 6s v4

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TectalDaedalus

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
I'm in desperate need for some help! On my second battery pack on my brand new Kraton v4, I managed to run into a light post and break the front lower hinge pin block (composite suspension mount, I believe Arrma calsl it). In order to get to it and replace it, I think I need to disassemble the front. In order to do so, I need to unscrew the front two top screws from the steering posts. My problem is that those screws are totally stuck, and they are now starting to strip. I've tried with quality hex tools, butane heater, soldering iron and even a dremel and a flat iron. Also tried to unscrew the posts from the bottom, but same story. They won't move at all! Any suggestions, how I can get them out? With the amount of heat I've applied I can't believe this is just because of Loctite. Are they opposite threaded or something?

I'm really starting to loose faith, and are wondering if trying to drill the screws out is my only option now. Any ideas are welcome.

Welcome to the world of "arrmaloctite"!

The steering posts are the most annoying I have seen across a kraton6s v4, limitless, and a 3rd rack I got my hands on. Let's say the third rack saw heat, screw extractor, dremel and vice all in that order.

Get hold of a heat gun that has a tip that can direct the heat to a focused area. Blast the bottom screw of the post for about 1 minute at 275C.

Use one wrench on top (if you can) and the other on the bottom and try your hardest to get the bottom screw to break loose. If you can get the bottom screws out you can pull the whole rack off from the top and then work on the top screws (dremel, screw extractor etc.).

I replaced my top screws with some cap hex head m4 with the correct amount of loctite.

Good Luck!

Believe it or not, Arrma has the reputation to either apply WAY too much threadlock, or not at all on vital areas. So ya, your issue is threadlock. I’ve had the same issue with my Infraction. What a pain in the ass it was.

- Do not use a butane torch or you risk melting/deforming the surrounding plastic(s).
- Arrma does not use lefthanded threads.

Are you able to unscrew the bottom screws holding the steering posts?

I’ve found on my Typhon 6s that when I find a screw with loctite on it, I can usually snap the screws loose. I do this with caution. I use MIP bits in my DeWALT driver. I use the driver manually due to the thickness of the handle. I can get a very good grip on it vs standard driver handles. Again, I don’t use the power at all to break them free. I just turn it by hand very quickly about 1/4 turn. If at any point it feels like it would strip or something bad, I stop and add heat. But to be honest they have all snapped cleanly with this method. The only exception was the diff input cups. Those required direct flame to get the shaft out of the cup.

Now I'm glad I searched for and bought a v3 although the v4 was already out ?

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I will give the bottom screws a shot tonight with a heat gun.

Bottom and top with heat. I did the misstake not to use it first, so.. I can only say, that a dremel is a good tool to have around. As is some new screws and the top plastic brace support.. Or what it is called.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back