Discussion: Are wheels/tires holding back high performance cars

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

btosic

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
We can see more and more capable brushless sistems, more and more sophisticated radios, servos, telemetry and even to some extent smart stability control systems for cars and trucks.
Composites are more durable, aluminum, and titanium parts are widely available for many cars.
But what about wheels/tires, I can't see real development, every new "feature" is mostly marketing?
Let's share thoughts and experiences.

What is see at the moment.. Is that what ever brand belted tire you get for speedrunning.. They are gonna blow the belt at real high speeds..

I do think its due to the quality of belt used in them.. The first brand that comes up with a blet that makes it to.. Lets say 200mph.. Has gold in their hands.. They would prob retail a little higher.. But the guys who blow other brands.. Wouldnt mind.. Repairs after blowouts gonna cut their budget aswell..

I would be happy to see reliable 150mph tire this year, but next year I would like to see reliable 151mph tire and so on...
I am aware of how high rpms of that small tire is on 150mph, but come on, I can't believe that there isn't any room for improvement...

I would say costs are a key feature. Both in production and r&d. Also how would the costs be passed on to the consumer. I wouldn’t want to spend $100 on a pair, unless money was no issue.

Being able to buy tyres/wheels that were balanced straight out of the packet would also be a massive improvement.

I don't worry about that too much at the moment on my speed runner Typhon but a lot of people I know, especially the guys going really fast (130mph+), do spend a lot of time balancing wheels as well as in some cases getting rid of tyre sets completely that require too much balancing or can't be balanced (would need too much weight added).

I had problems with speed run tires, I use GRP tires, but I can't complain too much, I run XLX with 4070CM 2900kv and I learned my lessons, that setup will destroy anything if you go to hard.
But MT tires are driving me crazy, quality is absurd and price is not that low.
In my post about reliability of high performance Kraton(TP 4070 1520kv, Max6, large cap pack) my main point was that tires just cant endure high torque 5+ KW motor, hard accelerations. I posted pictures of other components I destroyed during testing, but tires would be destroyed almost on first few pacs if go full power too long.

I only knew that @RC DUDE81 has ran the 25 Shore foams for speed runs. I was looking at the 35 shore due to the rougher surfaces I run on.
Well the Team Purple ones start at 38-43 shore hardness for the ones I linked and go all the way up to 45-50 (Double Purple). The ones I linked were what he recommended for the air field runway that we use when attending the ROSSA events which is pretty abrasive.

Not sure how rough it compares to what you're running on though. August events line up below (my Typhon bottom left) where you can see the surface we run on. ;)
000.JPG

Well the Team Purple ones start at 38-43 shore hardness for the ones I linked and go all the way up to 45-50 (Double Purple). The ones I linked were what he recommended for the air field runway that we use when attending the ROSSA events which is pretty abrasive.

Not sure how rough it compares to what you're running on though. August events line up below (my Typhon bottom left) where you can see the surface we run on. ;)
View attachment 47320
Thanks for the info. I would say similar asphalt style lots and roads. I will check them out when I get my Typhon 6s road ready.

Thanks for the info. I would say similar asphalt style lots and roads. I will check them out when I get my Typhon 6s road ready.
Worth looking at as well are "SP Racing" foams ~ I've bought a set to try which are 40 shore hardness because they were less than half the price of a set of BSR's. I know Phillip Jolley has tried them as well.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back