DIY suspension pins, how to thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sumguy75

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
  2. Talion
  3. Typhon 6s
Would it be very difficult to put some decent threads on a suspension pin with a $20 tap/die set from Lowes?

I'm experimenting with different rear hub options on a 1/10 rig and was considering using a suspension pin from the Typhon. I would need to shorten the pin so I was just going to cut it shorter with my Dremel and then I would need to rethread the end for a locknut. Lowe's has a Kobalt tap and die set for M3-M7. Never used a die before and just wondering if this seems like a reasonable idea or am I overlooking something? I figured the set might come in handy occasionally for doing custom builds.

Yeah, hardened steel doesn't like being threaded unfortunately.
I'm betting ur tired of the threaded pins on a TRX? Those damned things!! Never stay in place!!😬🤣🤣

Can you add spacers or something to take up the excess length? Or use standard pins from another vehicle/brand?

If really looking for a DIY project, you could read up on annealing steel, to un-harden it. You could then cut your threads. And then attempt to harden it again. But I do not think this is practical, or realistic, for most of us.

You won’t. It’s tool steel. Hard enough to cut with a cut off wheel.
You’re yanking our chain rite?
Nope, not yanking your chain. Never threaded anything before so thats why I asked, lol. I was afraid hardened steel might be too much for cheap home tools to thread.
Yeah, hardened steel doesn't like being threaded unfortunately.
I'm betting ur tired of the threaded pins on a TRX? Those damned things!! Never stay in place!!😬🤣🤣
Haha, no the stock pins don't stay for sure, but I already upgraded to the STRC pins and they have done great overall except the outer front pins. I don't know why Traxxas made those smaller than all the others, its the only hinge pins I ever bend! I was just wondering if I could cut one of the longer ones to the right length and thread it but sounds like a recipe for disappointment, lol.

Maybe I could just use a pair of the rear outer hinges with a spacer instead, I'll try that tonight.
Can you add spacers or something to take up the excess length? Or use standard pins from another vehicle/brand?
Haha, I was typing I should try that probably the same time you were posting this, lol.

I tried tapping some Team Corally diff input cups I bought. One of them was missing the threads for the grub screw.. I stripped the first tap, snapped the second.. guess they really are spring steel or whatever TC calls it, LOL.
I had taken pics and contacted TC for warranty before hand so nothing to loose in trying I figured. Well except a couple good taps that is..🤣🤣

I've been thinking of doing something like TRX has done with the Xmaxx to secure the hinge pins in my bandit. Drill a small hole next to the hinge pin in the arm, flush mount pins secured with a sccrew and washer. We did that on my brothers sludge last summer when he "tried" to tighten the threaded pin..I suspect it was already tight, he snapped the threaded portion off the hinge pin. We were jonesing to bash with no spares on hand. So I drilled a small hole and secured the pin with a screw. Still that way today, no issues. Here's a sample of what I mean..

7829-7830-7831-X-Maxx-HD-Arms-Front-Detail_m.jpg

I've been thinking of doing something like TRX has done with the Xmaxx to secure the hinge pins in my bandit. Drill a small hole next to the hinge pin in the arm, flush mount pins secured with a sccrew and washer. We did that on my brothers sludge last summer when he "tried" to tighten the threaded pin..I suspect it was already tight, he snapped the threaded portion off the hinge pin. We were jonesing to bash with no spares on hand. So I drilled a small hole and secured the pin with a screw. Still that way today, no issues. Here's a sample of what I mean..
Well that's a simple solution, I like it!

View attachment 272975
You're welcome this kit only works for the Bandit and Drag Slash https://www.amainhobbies.com/st-rac...-rear-outer-hinge-pin-set-sptst2637s/p1293960

This is the one you need for the Rustler, Stampede or normal Slash 2wd. https://www.amainhobbies.com/st-rac...sh-polished-steel-hinge-pin-sptst3640s/p34392

I made this mistake when I was doing my Bandit build and couldn't figure out why the front outer hinge pins wouldn't fit.

-edit- These are the only ones that I know of for the stock suspension on the Slash 4x4 and associated models https://gravesrc.com/lns3727-lunsford-racing-titanium-hinge-pin-kit-slash-4x4/ I have this set on my Slashpede 4x4 so much better than the stock ones.

Last edited:
You're welcome this kit only works for the Bandit and Drag Slash https://www.amainhobbies.com/st-rac...-rear-outer-hinge-pin-set-sptst2637s/p1293960

This is the one you need for the Rustler, Stampede or normal Slash 2wd. https://www.amainhobbies.com/st-rac...sh-polished-steel-hinge-pin-sptst3640s/p34392

I made this mistake when I was doing my Bandit build and couldn't figure out why the front outer hinge pins wouldn't fit.

-edit- These are the only ones that I know of for the stock suspension on the Slash 4x4 and associated models https://gravesrc.com/lns3727-lunsford-racing-titanium-hinge-pin-kit-slash-4x4/ I have this set on my Slashpede 4x4 so much better than the stock ones.
Nice find! Thanks for sharing. Glad to see someone has some common sense to use hardened steel instead of stainless like RPM makes for the Xmaxx. I mean really? Stainless hinge pins? Seems like a horrible idea to me, unless you're in the business of selling them,LOL.

Nice find! Thanks for sharing. Glad to see someone has some common sense to use hardened steel instead of stainless like RPM makes for the Xmaxx. I mean really? Stainless hinge pins? Seems like a horrible idea to me, unless you're in the business of selling them,LOL.
Most of their products are designed to be consumables.

Most of their products are designed to be consumables.
Fair enough, I'd still prefer hardened steel myself. I did just snap a hinge pin on my kaiju yesterday jumping snowbanks. I have the Mojave rear lower arms all the way around on the kaiju with TC 4mm hinge pins from JRC. Weird part is the pin snapped instead of the arm. I've broken 2 front inners now. The Arrma arms did loose a bit of material but still useable.

Ugh, yeah, trying to find screws kits for my truck seems to find too many kits that are stainless. I don't want stainless/shiny, I want them to be strong.

Ugh, yeah, trying to find screws kits for my truck seems to find too many kits that are stainless. I don't want stainless/shiny, I want them to be strong.
Yup, that's all I keep seeing too for screw "kits"..
Best bet is to go through the manual and make a list of the most common fasteners and buy them in quantities from a source that sells name brand screws such as YFS. @slick2500 knows👌 he's a walking RC encyclopedia IMO 👍🍻

Last edited:
Yup, that's all I keep seeing too for screw "kits"..
Best bet is to go through the manual and make a list of the most common fasteners and buy them in quantities from a source that sells name brand screws such as YFS. @slick2500 knows👌 he's a walking RC encyclopedia IMO 👍🍻
Monster Bolts is a great place to buy screws in bulk.

I usually buy screws in bulk. Monsterbolts.com is where I usually buy them, good high quality 12.9 screws.

Every size from 6mm to 20mm gets used fairly often so I just order a bunch when im running low on anything. I keep a few each of 22, 25, 30 and 35 but not as many since they are not used as often.

20230126_074810.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back