Do aluminium central drive shafts exist?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philistine

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
Ive got a new granite blx and Im having a recurring issue with tiny stones getting stuck between the central drive shaft and the plasttic bit that locks in the power module etc.
As the drive shaft spins over the course of a run, the stone strips the plastic on the shaft like a lathe.
Ive onlu just replaced it a second time and its already showing signs of excessive wear.

is there an aluminium alternative?
Ive googled and cant find one, but perhaps there’s an aftermarket option that’s made for other models that will suit mine...?

I don't think there is, you can try buy a net for it to stop things getting in. Some have mentioned ladies' tights as a cheap alternative.

I don't think there is, you can try buy a net for it to stop things getting in. Some have mentioned ladies' tights as a cheap alternative.
My wife was wondering why her stockings were missing, and she found out. Thought I was a closet cross dresser.:ROFLMAO: She said using it for RC was a bad excuse.:love:

What is aluminium?
Aluminium (aluminum in American and Canadian English) is a chemical element with the symbol Al and atomic number 13. It is a silvery-white, soft, non-magnetic and ductile metal in the boron group. By mass, aluminium is the most abundant metal in the Earth's crust and the third most abundant element (after oxygen and silicon). The abundance of aluminium decreases relative to other elements at greater depths into Earth's mantle and beyond. The chief ore of aluminium is bauxite. Aluminium metal is highly reactive, so native specimens are rare and limited to extreme reducing environments. Instead, it is found combined in over 270 different minerals.[7]

Aluminium is remarkable for its low density and its ability to resist corrosion through the phenomenon of passivation. Aluminium and its alloys are vital to the aerospace industry[8] and important in transportation and building industries, such as building facades and window frames.[9] The oxides and sulfates are the most useful compounds of aluminium.[8]

Despite its prevalence in the environment, no living organism is known to use aluminium salts metabolically, but aluminium is well tolerated by plants and animals.[10] Because of these salts' abundance, the potential for a biological role for them is of continuing interest, and studies continue.

Hey all,
Ive got a new granite blx and Im having a recurring issue with tiny stones getting stuck between the central drive shaft and the plasttic bit that locks in the power module etc.
As the drive shaft spins over the course of a run, the stone strips the plastic on the shaft like a lathe.
Ive onlu just replaced it a second time and its already showing signs of excessive wear.

is there an aluminium alternative?
Ive googled and cant find one, but perhaps there’s an aftermarket option that’s made for other models that will suit mine...?
Aluminum or not, the wear issue is still going to be an issue. Debris ingress just happens. Depends where you bash. Check your rig more often when you bash to clean it out ? I am not a fan of mesh covers anymore. Had tried them on several rigs. (Dusty Motors Covers) One even burned up like a flash fire while connecting my lipo from the sparks on my K6S. (must be a nylon or something) But many use them for issues like this. Maybe you can devise shielding of some sort to deflect debris from entering. How tight is the body to your chassis and all?? Maybe you can close off the body better?
Just some ideas. This can happen to all rigs, some more than others. :cool:

There was someone on here making a 3D printed driveshaft cover. I don't know what ever came of that though.
its the 13th element on the periodic table and exists as a metal everywhere in the world except America
And Canada.

Aluminium (aluminum in American and Canadian English) is a chemical element with the symbol Al and atomic number 13. It is a silvery-white, soft, non-magnetic and ductile metal in the boron group. By mass, aluminium is the most abundant metal in the Earth's crust and the third most abundant element (after oxygen and silicon). The abundance of aluminium decreases relative to other elements at greater depths into Earth's mantle and beyond. The chief ore of aluminium is bauxite. Aluminium metal is highly reactive, so native specimens are rare and limited to extreme reducing environments. Instead, it is found combined in over 270 different minerals.[7]

Aluminium is remarkable for its low density and its ability to resist corrosion through the phenomenon of passivation. Aluminium and its alloys are vital to the aerospace industry[8] and important in transportation and building industries, such as building facades and window frames.[9] The oxides and sulfates are the most useful compounds of aluminium.[8]

Despite its prevalence in the environment, no living organism is known to use aluminium salts metabolically, but aluminium is well tolerated by plants and animals.[10] Because of these salts' abundance, the potential for a biological role for them is of continuing interest, and studies continue.
??. Ah..... got it. Wrong side of the pond again.....
aluminum would get wiped by rocks just as quickly as the composite.......

They do exist, the Rustler 4x4 VXL comes with one.

Does anyone remember where that thread is where the dude made his own out of Nero drive shafts?

Does anyone remember where that thread is where the dude made his own out of Nero drive shafts?
Thatd be cool... ive seen them before and wondered - what’s the difference between them? Is it just the length?

Thatd be cool... ive seen them before and wondered - what’s the difference between them? Is it just the length?
A lot.

Nero drive shaft.
s-l640 (7).jpg

3s driveshaft
s-l640 (8).jpg

Okay finally found the thread https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/center-driveshaft-mod-upgrayedd-😁.21433/

I also found this thread when I was digging around. https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/i-did-it-to-do-it-😲-most-expensive-cvds-ever.21161/

Last edited:
Ahh ok i see the confusion.

so im wondering what the differences are between the central drive shaft slider section of the granite vs. that particular Nero part.
That driveshaft mod upgrade build is awesome

What are you guys running on that your getting big enough rocks to damage the shaft and not having them stuck in the steering often enough to(probably in my case) have to go get the truck and shake the rocks out of the bellcrank every ten minutes..... I mean.... I can’t get through a hoovo 5200mah 3s pack without having the steering stuck one direction or the other at least 3 times....
Also I would like to clear up some confusion I’m having right now. Are we talking about the driveshaft? The part running from front diff to rear diff? Or are we talking about axle shafts.......?????????

What are you guys running on that your getting big enough rocks to damage the shaft and not having them stuck in the steering often enough to(probably in my case) have to go get the truck and shake the rocks out of the bellcrank every ten minutes..... I mean.... I can’t get through a hoovo 5200mah 3s pack without having the steering stuck one direction or the other at least 3 times....
Also I would like to clear up some confusion I’m having right now. Are we talking about the driveshaft? The part running from front diff to rear diff? Or are we talking about axle shafts.......?????????
Originally the thread was about the center drive shaft, the one running from the front to the rear of the car. I sort of went off on a tangent with the front/rear drive shafts.

Im just running it at a dirt bmx track and my gravel driveway.
I think i crash/flip so often that i shake the stones out of the steering assy constantly by accident hahah

yeah, i was talking about center shaft, not axle shaft

Driveshaft. I believe. What I thought.
You should have gotten a 2200mah 3s. It will happen much less. (y)

Edit:
just joking about a smaller capacity Lipo. You have to periodically bring you your rig in to shake out debris. Happens to all types of rigs, some more than others. My 6s rigs, get damage to the center diff cup from rocks and pebbles also. Always depends where you are bashing. For instance baseball field are usually cleaner and just fine clay dirt. I like jumping over the Pitcher's mounds and usually there is a big pile of clay dirt on the sideline for field maintenance. I like jumping it onto the infield. I am limited where I am. Make the best of things.

Last edited:
Back