Kraton Do any of you bashers run/use softcase lipo's?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The new guy on top is the one requesting batteries. Kinda funny that these are both 1/8 scale. lol

View attachment 106872
Well one is a buggy and one is a truck. A Mustang and an F350 aren’t the same size in real life either.

soft case for me too. I have one that was beat up physically pretty good, I bought some heavy duty shrink wrap and looks new again.

Just out shopping for a couple 3s lipo batteries today and hobbyking has a very nice selection. I'm also aware I could just look through past posts but as time changes new opinions may arise. I've been reading a long and old forum post about test done on lipo's and there actual C rating and seems just as confusing as ever.
So does anyone use soft cased lipo's to bash?
used 1 hardcase 6s lipo all other ones have been softcase

Only hard case for me, it just gives me the extra piece of mind. I'm'relatively new to his hobby so I've never used softcase before, I figure if can get an added protection and possibly added safety.. why not.

I think it's a weak argument to suggest the 2mm of plastic around the cells provides much protection when launching your rig 30 feet at 50mph. I run both... all my batteries are still intact after a year.
i don't know Orebro.

Think about the iphone screen class protector. its fractions of a millimeter thick, but very effective at stopping things from breaking your screen.

The hard plastic disperses the impact force instead of taking a direct hit, similar to a bullet proof vest.
all my 3s packs are soft, most of my 2s and 4s are hard.

Also, FWIW, 99% of Drone and plane packs are soft case, and when my boy crashes his brushless racing drone, the battery goes flying Every. Single. Time. If crashes damaging batteries was a huge issue, seems racing drones would adopt a hard case.

And yeah, according to that thread, 90% of all batteries suck. But, I think the flip side is 90% of RC'ers overs estimate the amps they actually need. If you are not drag racing or speed running, you only need a decent, true 30C pack.

thats not an apples to apples comparison. you're talking about 10lbs car + drone weight in grams.

Assume your drone weighs 2lbs and is traveling 60mph (i overestimated on purpose), you're taking about 21k g in force.
Vs a 12lb Kraton 6s just being dropped at the speed of gravity (i underestimated), you're talking about 55k g in force.
The suspension and body will absorb a lot of that force but the forces your RC battery takes is much greater.

Soft ones for me (HRB) with 3 pieces of closed cell foam (bottom, front and between packs). Lots of big airs of 70-100 feet.
man! you have to post those big airs on youtube. thats impressive

Last edited:
i don't know Orebro.

Think about the iphone screen class protector. its fractions of a millimeter thick, but very effective at stopping things from breaking your screen.

The hard plastic disperses the impact force instead of taking a direct hit, similar to a bullet proof vest.

Good point... but doesn't the battery try itself do the same thing? Hard to argue that it adds another layer of protection, just not sure how beneficial. Would it be better to line the battery tray with an absorbent foam or rubber instead, as some have suggested.

my batteries get eaten up each time I bash. I make sure the the velcro straps are real tight and they still sometime come loose. I bought some shrink wrap and just keep shrink wrapping as needed. works for me.

Hard case all the way for me. I had one soft case literally explode while bashing. Never again will I buy a softcase. I wasn't even bashing super hard. The case was strapped in correctly and all. Safety is numero uno with my kids and I. Not taking any chances here.

Good point... but doesn't the battery try itself do the same thing? Hard to argue that it adds another layer of protection, just not sure how beneficial. Would it be better to line the battery tray with an absorbent foam or rubber instead, as some have suggested.
Per many bashers including Rich Duperbash put a piece of yoga mat down in the battery tray first. Rocks definitely get underneath my two 3s batteries in my new typhon so I'll be adding some high quality gorilla tape ?
Hard case all the way for me. I had one soft case literally explode while bashing. Never again will I buy a softcase. I wasn't even bashing super hard. The case was strapped in correctly and all. Safety is numero uno with my kids and I. Not taking any chances here.
Good thinking but can it be said that it would have exploded if you had just been driving normal not really bashing? My point is lipo's do have a possibility of exploding?

I've never had any issues with my hardcase. I comment on this thread, and take my RC out to bash and bang... chipped the hard case.

Broke the plastic case on the right. having said that. battery pack is still in perfect condition.

smashed1.jpg

If you don't want to listen to me, at least listen to @Mr.Duke.
Hardcase is BS. Most of them suck. Being afraid of softpacks became a thing, a figment in someone's imagination or nightmares. Wake up. That's just a bad dream.. A hardcase lipo will not prevent a lipo fire, which most think it does. I have both types. Of 22 Lipos 6 were HC and now 5 remain. The cases crack and split open.
My HC lipos are the worst performing and the most costly of all of them. You are paying for the stupid plastic case and a false sense of security. You get nothing else. Dimensions of HC are less standardized across most RC brands. YES HC is recommended in some manuals. This way you are forced to get the brands own lipos. Like those Overrated Smart Spektrum batteries, then you are sucked into all things Smart, like the Firma ESC's and Spectrum Firma Chargers Smart radio. Enough of this Smart crap already and HC :ROFLMAO: . All a $waste$ .Just silly. :cool:

Last edited:
If you don't want listen to me, at least listen to @Mr.Duke.
Hardcase is BS. Most of them suck. Being afraid of softpacks became a thing, a figment in someone's imagination or nightmares. Wake up. That's just a bad dream..
You forgot to put IMO lol. Let's be honest here everything is based off our own opinions and experiences.

I’ve only used a few hardcase lipos in my time (gens-ace-r-spam, turn1gy, etc) but they all cracked and fell apart when bashing seriously. I will say those are all sorta cheap brands so maybe that’s why. I’ve been in the game for a lil bit and in that time owned a large majority of soft case lipos. I can’t think of one time I’ve had one get punctured by a rock to be honest. I’ve had small sharp rocks get under packs as I take jumps but all they do is just chew 3mm holes into the bottom of the packs, never causes a puncture though.

That makes it official... There is no right answer :)
For those in the know, the best performing Lipos will always be SCase. The lipo industry knows this and backs it.
What's right about having a lower performing lipo? If mediocre performance is your thing then HC is right for you.
You forgot to put IMO lol. Let's be honest here everything is based off our own opinions and experiences.
Go spend $1,200.00 on a good cross section of brands and types of lipos. Use them for 4 years and then we can talk.
True, but a hard case in most instances would be more protective to the explosion as well I believe.
No. A myth.

Last edited:
Making the mistake of thinking you are protecting you kids because you run Hardcase is wrong thinking. Dangerous to think that way.You need to study up on lipo fires and watch more videos of them. My son was running the 6s Noto. Had a fire also. HC or not nothing will mitigate a lipo fire.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back