Kraton Do any of you bashers run/use softcase lipo's?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hard case produce shrapnel when they explode

which makes them far more dangerous ?

It’s the equivalent to bashing with a hand grenade strapped inside an RC and you’re hoping the pin stays in place ?

ok, am no expert or chemical engineer but from little experience and a lot of reading here's the logic and I'd love to hear a rebuttal, (btw I got on here cause I wanted to ask what diff fluid weight to use on my Granite BLX 4X4 v2 front and rear diff.) Lithium batteries can become unstable but they do not per explode like say tnt or gun powder. they have a violent chemical reaction causing a really hot fire which since often start inside the battery and often shoots out real hot kind cool to watch. Anything around typically catches fire (not concrete, etc.) and that's the real risk. Suspect most agree with that so that happens because the insulating layers between electrodes shorts out which allows lots of current flows which creates lots of heat and fire. The electrodes come in contact due to insulation failure, the insulation fails due to excessive heat. Sucking that last bit of juice out of a lithium battery can make it heat up thus why you should do that and drop the voltage below 3.4 or so. Same on the high end, charging it to much or to fast can also break down insulation. Hitting it with a hammer can break down the insulation. Which brings it to the point of hard case vs. soft case. There is value in a hard case it may protect it from a hit that a soft case may not. So my logic is for the little benefit of hard case which is the delta between what the soft case can't handle but plastic hard case can vs. the price difference, not worth it. Just make sure is cell is within .02 and don't over charge voltage or current rate and thd battery will be fine. Just got to keep and eye on it just like you would anything else. sorry it's so long I just had a dubbie l o l

I dug up this thread as I am about to buy another set of 4s lipos for my 8s rigs . I will ad my experience , my 3s and 6s SC lipos are still in great working condition , my HC 4s lipos which I have paired up to always run them together , 1 in each pair are swelling now , cases cracking open , and 1 cell in each is far off from the other 3 cells when charging , they are about a year old . My choice now is I'm going soft packs for my 4s for my 8s rigs . Now the question is go big MAH or stay around the 5200 range ??? As well as C rating 60c to 100c seems the norm .

I dug up this thread as I am about to buy another set of 4s lipos for my 8s rigs . I will ad my experience , my 3s and 6s SC lipos are still in great working condition , my HC 4s lipos which I have paired up to always run them together , 1 in each pair are swelling now , cases cracking open , and 1 cell in each is far off from the other 3 cells when charging , they are about a year old . My choice now is I'm going soft packs for my 4s for my 8s rigs . Now the question is go big MAH or stay around the 5200 range ??? As well as C rating 60c to 100c seems the norm .
for bashing the lower mah is better they are lighter. For speed runs you want max power but also don't want to pull two bricks so it's all about balance.

Hello all. I'm interested in what you write, since I only own softcases. Because my battery compartment is quite small, I have now packed 2x 3s batteries and wanted to have your opinion. The tape I used is the Tescon Vana and is mainly used in roof construction. It has very good properties, however it is also airtight. Is this a problem for the battery?

https://proclima.com/products/bonding-agents/adhesive-tapes/tescon-vana

20220211_202027.jpg

p_tescon-vana_60mm.jpg

I have been running softpacks since i got my first 6s truck never had an issue. I have an extra velcro strap on my arrma 6s trays. That tape looks interesting tho. It shouldnt be a problem for the battery. It releases heat while running not gas. The lipo cells are airtight themselves.

I have been running softpacks since i got my first 6s truck never had an issue. I have an extra velcro strap on my arrma 6s trays. That tape looks interesting tho. It shouldnt be a problem for the battery. It releases heat while running not gas. The lipo cells are airtight themselves.
Hello and thank you for the reply. I read from some here that they bash with softcase and have no problems with it. I will also get me another strap, just so that everything is properly secured. The tape has good properties only I'm not sure if the batteries will be too hot?

Hello and thank you for the reply. I read from some here that they bash with softcase and have no problems with it. I will also get me another strap, just so that everything is properly secured. The tape has good properties only I'm not sure if the batteries will be too hot?
Too hot its went the lipo burns you to the touch by experience. It can become a problem if the heat is not allowed to dissipate. Quick read on the link It doesn't claim to stop heat transfer or heat from escaping. That is ussualy the role of an isolation material.

Too hot its went the lipo burns you to the touch by experience. It can become a problem if the heat is not allowed to dissipate. Quick read on the link It doesn't claim to stop heat transfer or heat from escaping. That is ussualy the role of an isolation material.
That makes sense. I will test it. We'll see if it works or if the car goes up in flames. 😎😁🔥

Some of the soft case LiPos have plates on the sides and one end to help prevent damage. They are called "G10 plates", and SMC and True Spec batteries use them.

Last edited:
This is how I have done it now. The batteries are packed in tescon vana tape as described. A piece of foam rubber is placed in the battery compartment. Then come the batteries and on top again a piece of foam rubber. The whole thing is tied with 3 velcro straps for a good hold. The middle band is not yet mounted. On top of it comes an unbreakable body and I think that should work.

Ps. Yes it's not an Arma truck pictured but it's about a general problem that is discussed here 😎

20220211_202027.jpg

20220213_142711.jpg

20220213_143009.jpg

Ultimately it doesn’t matter if you’re stuff is secure and not rubbing against sharp corners.

Just out shopping for a couple 3s lipo batteries today and hobbyking has a very nice selection. I'm also aware I could just look through past posts but as time changes new opinions may arise. I've been reading a long and old forum post about test done on lipo's and there actual C rating and seems just as confusing as ever.
So does anyone use soft cased lipo's to bash?
i do.

i bought hard case batteries with my car. they got absolutely destroyed. The plastic is broken all around them, but batteries work fine. The soft case batteries i've had no issues with the plastic wrapping on the outside.

I don't know why thats the case, but thats my observation.

Looks like I'm going to have to try soft case. They're less expensive and lighter. I don't think the 3s line risks a soft case getting chewed up by gears, which seems to be the main advantage of a hard case. I've actually had problems with the edges of hard cases rubbing the wires and cutting through the insulation.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back