Do cap packs cause a harder spark when plugging in batteries?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DLK83

$dirty hands-no money$
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Infraction
  3. Outcast 4s
  4. Outcast 6s
  5. Outcast 8s
  6. Typhon 3s
  7. Typhon 6s
I'm doing a build where I'm using my first aftermarket cap pack(Ripple killer 8s cap pack on a MMX8S). The spark when connecting the 2nd battery is pretty violent, to the point where I'm noticing material loss on brand new connectors... am I right in assuming I need to switch from EC5 to QS8 and/or put bullets on the cap pack so it can be plugged in after plugging in the batteries? Or will switching to QS8s be enough? TIA

As gotnitro said, it makes sense to me that the cap pack will only make the problem worse. It's charging the caps which is causing the problem, so adding even more will make it worse. Connectors with an integrated anti-spark feature should help a lot. I've also seen people add a small secondary connectors, with a suitable inline resistor. You plug in the small connector first, and the resistor in that one slows that current rush, and lets it charge the caps more gradually. Then you plug in the big connector.

But using connectors with an integrated anti-spark feature should take care of it. And if you plugged in the cap pack later, using normal connectors, I think the only difference would be that you'd eat up the cap pack connectors, vs the battery/ESC connectors.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back