Do I need a Lipo safe bag

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. Or some sort of suitable fireproof exclosure for them. It's not worth saving $10 or so on a LiPo bag and just having them sitting around "bare".

I have an ammo box, airtight, to store my lipo's in. Under charging I keep them in a lipo safe bag, 6-8feet from an fire extinguisher. And check regularly that everything is ok. I don't run out to the store under charging... maybe I'm too protective...🤷

I personally wouldn't trust the bags. A batt box is best imo, or a ammo can, cheaper alternative , properly vented of course. Search Lipo safety on search function...Do not take this topic lightly! Stay safe!

I have an ammo box, airtight, to store my lipo's in. Under charging I keep them in a lipo safe bag, 6-8feet from an fire extinguisher. And check regularly that everything is ok. I don't run out to the store under charging... maybe I'm too protective...🤷
If it were me, I would modify the ammo box so it's not airtight. Remove the rubber seals, or drill some small holes, etc. If something catches on fire, it will produce a lot of gas, quickly. The box needs to be able to vent that gas, or else it will build up pressure and become a bomb, when the box bursts.

But yeah, I like everything else you mentioned! Better safe than sorry, IMO.

No, Lipo bags are useless for any lipo, but the smallest ones. 1S 200mAh is about all I trust them for.
Get an ammo box and put it on tile.

Lipo bags are an absolute waste of money and give you a false sense of security.

Only reason I have a lipo bag is because our tracks require them transporting, otherwise my lipos sit on a shelf or near the charger. They don’t spontaneously combust unless the charger or connection was setup improperly and obviously if they’re abused/punctured.

If it helps you sleep better at night in a fire cabinet, 👍

If it were me, I would modify the ammo box so it's not airtight. Remove the rubber seals, or drill some small holes, etc. If something catches on fire, it will produce a lot of gas, quickly. The box needs to be able to vent that gas, or else it will build up pressure and become a bomb, when the box bursts.

But yeah, I like everything else you mentioned! Better safe than sorry, IMO.
Yes, I actually saw a video of this. I'll drill holes rn! Best to drill on top, so (if there is flames) gass can expand upwards, and not to the sides?

Yes, I actually saw a video of this. I'll drill holes rn! Best to drill on top, so (if there is flames) gass can expand upwards, and not to the sides?
Mixed opinions on how to vent an ammo can. Some drill holes in top, some on sides and some just remove a portion of the lid seal so it still locks tight but isn't air tight.

I would think so. Someone on Reddit recently posted about their modification, to try and also trap any burning stuff. He drilled holes in the top, then added a metal plate below, with a small gap. So air could flow around the metal plate, then up out the holes. Hopefully catching most stuff that might try to go through the holes.

He was asking for suggestions, I offered maybe using fiberglass cloth, covering those holes from inside the box. In his case, he could use his existing added metal plate to sandwich the cloth, and also drill holes through that added metal plate. But it seemed like a way to still vent, while filtering most fiery stuff that might try to escape.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Bondo-8-sq-ft-Fiberglass-Cloth-20128/202077813

Short Answer, Yes. Even better, check out the Batt Safe!

Removing the seal is sufficient. Keep in mind that flames potentially shoot in every direction a hole is drilled. Vented top will re-direct the heat to the bottom again, which would on a fire safe material (tile etc.)
Smoke would be the only problem.

Do people line the inside of their ammo boxes with something insulative/heat-resistant? That fiberglass cloth could be one example, of course, and easier to manage than putting something like tile on the inside.

I do kind of like the idea of storing LiPos in a cinder block, rotated so the openings are vertical. Now each pack is separated from its neighbors. So if one goes up, it's probably the only one that does. In most other enclosures (LiPo bag, ammo box, etc) 1 catching on fire will almost certainly make *all* of them catch on fire. No fire is good, but a smaller fire is better than a big one :) The cinder block could be sitting on a suitable surface, with another item covering it.

I'm using LiPo bags. I have an old ammo box that I could perhaps repurpose. Or the BatSafe, frankly, has some appeal. It's not terribly expensive, especially if it really worked. I have several 6S packs, so I think I'd need the large one.

Had an old small fireproof safe that I use to store my lipos. If charging unattended definitely use a lipo bag or case while charging. Ammo box also good. Batt safe again good. No need to build Fort Knox as they are generally very safe when used correctly.
like a boss wow GIF by Red Bull

Do people line the inside of their ammo boxes with something insulative/heat-resistant? That fiberglass cloth could be one example, of course, and easier to manage than putting something like tile on the inside.

I do kind of like the idea of storing LiPos in a cinder block, rotated so the openings are vertical. Now each pack is separated from its neighbors. So if one goes up, it's probably the only one that does. In most other enclosures (LiPo bag, ammo box, etc) 1 catching on fire will almost certainly make *all* of them catch on fire. No fire is good, but a smaller fire is better than a big one :) The cinder block could be sitting on a suitable surface, with another item covering it.

I'm using LiPo bags. I have an old ammo box that I could perhaps repurpose. Or the BatSafe, frankly, has some appeal. It's not terribly expensive, especially if it really worked. I have several 6S packs, so I think I'd need the large one.
And with 6s, you would prefer that only the one catching fire would be destroyed 😅🤑

They do make those single pack Velcro cases. You could just keep one or two in each case.

I'll take a slightly different view here.

Having any lithium battery in your house is a risk--and you have lots of lithium batteries in your house. Lipos are the more energy dense version of litihum batteries, so when they fail, they CAN fail quite catastrophically. However, it's all a game of statistics. It's unlikely that a lipo will just "blow up" while sitting idle at storage charge. The most likely times are when damaged (most often when driving) and when charging. I know lots of people who never stored or charged a battery in a lipo bag or batt-safe and nothing bad has happened. Those people are convinced that they don't need a lipo bag or storage container. Does that mean they are safe? You could make the case either way.

Again, it's all a game of statistics, and like car or home insurance, you can invest as much as you feel is needed based on your risk level. If you want added assurance that everything would be good IF something happens when you aren't around, then you can take mitigating actions. Lots of options listed in this thread so far.

A lipo bag is a very cheap start. I'd personally say get one of those at a minimum. I don't agree with the sentiment that "it's not worth it", since not every battery will fail catastrophically. If you only have a few batteries in there, I wouldn't be as concerned as if it was packed full of batteries. When you start to collect more batteries or pick up very large batteries (6s or high capacity), I would start considering something like an ammo can since they can be had for relatively cheap. If you want full protection, get a batt-safe.

Dude you were told what to get in your other thread. Stop posting threads to ask questions that are easily answered by a simple search. And stop making multiple threads to ask the same questions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back