Do I need to back this before…

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Velodromed

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Kraton 4s
  5. Notorious
  6. Outcast 4s
  7. Vorteks
  8. Voltage
  9. Infraction 4x4
I could use a little advice.

I am painting the body camel yellow then backing with white. Do I need to back the Hydro dip flames sections with white or something before I paint everything yellow? If I don’t back it, will the yellow turn the flames orange or odd colored?

Thanks guys!

FAFD6C14-598C-4675-B780-A44DC5A77A13.jpeg

618BBD70-9ACE-4F80-8ABD-82DD20C49358.jpeg

Hard call..

Since the hydro is not paint, it shouldn't blend or be effected by the yellow paint. So my guess is, you don't need to back it.
BUT, I don't have any direct experience, so I'm only making an educated guess at this point..

Another "I can't help you" post but loving the potential.... So did you hydrodip the clear body then back pait it in red for those sections?

I'd quite like that effect with a clear candy red, so translucent red with smokey flames...

Subbed 👍👍 sure you'll get a concrete answer soon, my best guess would agree with Tex....

The next color you spray on the inside of the body after hydrodipping is the color of the flames. The color behind that is the “backing color” and depending on white or black it will either make the 1st color pop (white) or darken (black)

——————

I wanted red flames that didn’t pop so much but rather added depth to the image so I dipped, than several coats of red followed by several coats of black.

9A1FA554-0F2D-4C79-B63C-01D825D48702.png
BC5F0706-F00B-4161-B1A8-F289224B1F3B.jpeg
488B6003-EA4D-4389-81C2-1262C4C7C67D.jpeg

Had I chosen to spray white after the red it would have made the red much brighter which is just a matter of preference.
You can always retain the brightness of the red with a white backer and add another final layer of black if you want the underside of the body to be black instead of white.
Hope that makes sense

Last edited:
The next color you spray on the inside of the body after hydrodipping is the color of the flames. The color behind that is the “backing color” and depending on white or black it will either make the 1st color pop (white) or darken (black)

——————

I wanted red flames that didn’t pop so much but rather added depth to the image so I dipped, than several coats of red followed by several coats of black.

View attachment 203982View attachment 203983View attachment 203984

Had I chosen to spray white after the red it would have made the red much brighter which is just a matter of preference.
You can always retain the brightness of the red with a white backer and add another final layer of black if you want the underside of the body to be black instead of white.
Hope that makes sense
Thank you! Answered my question and gave me a visual. I like how it looks backed in black so will do that before shooting the main color. Much appreciated!
Thank you everyone! I got it figured out. Here’s the thread on how I’m doing this body
Thread 'Paint project #4, the hydro dip attempt'
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/paint-project-4-the-hydro-dip-attempt.49229/

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back