Do i really need a new radio

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redman16

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone I was wondering if there was a down side to using old style transmitters on new arrma vehicles like a traxxas tq#2238 or an older dx3e that has dsm . Do you looses out on radio range , speed or power? Is there more glitches with the old radios? Do you get interference from the new high power servos ? Just wanted to see if I really needed to upgrade or not . I was looking at that new radio link rc8x for$299 but if not needed I could use the funds on more hoop up parts!!

Hi everyone I was wondering if there was a down side to using old style transmitters on new arrma vehicles like a traxxas tq#2238 or an older dx3e that has dsm . Do you looses out on radio range , speed or power? Is there more glitches with the old radios? Do you get interference from the new high power servos ? Just wanted to see if I really needed to upgrade or not . I was looking at that new radio link rc8x for$299 but if not needed I could use the funds on more hoop up parts!!
Try it if it works fine with good range then i wouldn’t upgrade right away. There are also decent radios for much less than that radio link you mentioned.

I know I did like the option to use a camera in the truck and view it on the radio screen . Dual screen option . Half the screen can be used as a monitor. Instead of using goggles

For $80-ish you can get an TX + RX that has all the features of the very expensive radios, including mixing etc. Except the extended fancy telemetry, besides minimal battery voltage telemetry.

So if you aren't looking for elaborate telemetry.
And you don't race or notice 10ms control response difference.
And aren't speed running 1/2 mile away (although the Radio Link 6gs is $80 and good for that still).

Those, and just like a nice feeling nice interface radio, are the only reasons I could see to spend more. Of course if you have the money and just appreciate a finer quality feeling device that doesn't technically do anything additional, there's nothing wrong with that either.

But I got a FlySky g7p and a Radio Link rc6gs so I have both and split my cars among them so I can let friends use one. Plus it gets me a chance to test them both and both were $80 radios with 1RX. And both are fantastic, with subtle plusses and minuses between them.

You can't go wrong with the Radiolink RC6GSV2 or V3. The V2 version handles up to 10 vehicles and is around $80. The V3 can handle up to 20 vehicles and costs around $99. I run six vehicles on my RC6GS V2.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back